TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
I just got 27 mpg 80% in town with max AC.

Old Navy
I have to laugh I have a Glock 32 in the same spot and a titanium 38 +p S & W
under the cup holder.
Did you reset your service indicator yet?

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I just got 27 mpg 80% in town with max AC.

Old Navy
I have to laugh I have a Glock 32 in the same spot and a titanium 38 +p S & W
under the cup holder.
Did you reset your service indicator yet?
I has a S&W titanium in a J frame 357 that killed on both ends and sold to a guy who is some years younger them me, that still carries it as his duty gun. Said he had a sore hand for a week after qualifying with the gun. :D

No, no success with trying to clear the service codes. :mad:

Going to check on MB diesel forum this weekend and see if anyone there can help, but I'm thinking MB has me by the short hairs. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I slogged in and out of Boston today in the 300D, took about 2.5 hours total to go 70 miles. The M-B has that nice characteristic of being able to forget what car you're driving and just drive, it's that easy. And I seem to get 33 MPG in this kind of driving, and in every other kind, too.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Do any of you guys with 05 or newer CDI's change your own oil & filters and fuel filters? From what I could see looking at pictures and adds, it looks like V-6 is not user friendly to say the least.

NHdriver

TDI
Passat GLS 2004, Treg V10TDI 2006
240D 3.0 Euro

Hope the picture comes out OK...Also in member's album NHdriver.

This is a 1975 240D 3.0 Euro model with standard transmission (US 300D models were all automatic and had woodgrain dash, this has dash like 240D). It lived in Europe, garaged when not driven, from new until 2 years ago, and has 80K original KMs, all original paint, blue leather seats, A/C, 15-inch wheels, heavy duty springs).

In its day, with 80 hp, it was considered quite peppy. Compared with the later turbocharged versions of this engine, it is quite sluggish!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Now that's nice. I've seen a few 240s with manuals in the US but a 300 is special. I bet it isn't that slow. W115 with Euro bumpers is a favorite of mine. I love the instrument design, too.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
How did I just find this thread???

How have I been a member of two months with out knowing it??

I must owe Corey some "dues". . .that 190 must need something ?? I know the 300 does.

Brian

NHdriver

TDI
Passat GLS 2004, Treg V10TDI 2006
Geeze that thing looks like it has original tires on it still :eek:
-J
The original tires from the factory, believe it or not, were Fulda bias ply! The tires have been changed twice, but the exhaust system is still original.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Do any of you guys with 05 or newer CDI's change your own oil & filters and fuel filters? From what I could see looking at pictures and adds, it looks like V-6 is not user friendly to say the least.
The service on our Bluetec's are really easy. I have the GL coming up on an oil change and I just did the ML 2 months ago.

I use a pneumatic oil extractor and it gets every drop out.

The E-Class (06 CDI) is the in-line 6 but oil changes are nearly the same.

As for the Bluetec's V6 not a big deal to swap the fuel filter. It's in the middle of everything but after moving a few things it pops right out just like the I-6's does.

I have the Xentry system (formerly known as STAR Diagnosis) let me know if you need any of the work procedures, I have the full repair library for everything MB plus Sprinters and SMART vehicles.

By the way, have you done the transmission fluid change yet on the 2005? I monitor all the transmissions using UOA, instead of 39K intervals I perform it every 30K since all of ours are driven in mostly city. This is supported by the UOA to the lower interval.

When I get home I will try to get a group photo to put up.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
The service on our Bluetec's are really easy. I have the GL coming up on an oil change and I just did the ML 2 months ago.

I use a pneumatic oil extractor and it gets every drop out.

The E-Class (06 CDI) is the in-line 6 but oil changes are nearly the same.

As for the Bluetec's V6 not a big deal to swap the fuel filter. It's in the middle of everything but after moving a few things it pops right out just like the I-6's does.

I have the Xentry system (formerly known as STAR Diagnosis) let me know if you need any of the work procedures, I have the full repair library for everything MB plus Sprinters and SMART vehicles.

By the way, have you done the transmission fluid change yet on the 2005? I monitor all the transmissions using UOA, instead of 39K intervals I perform it every 30K since all of ours are driven in mostly city. This is supported by the UOA to the lower interval.

When I get home I will try to get a group photo to put up.
How much did the Xentry cost you and where you get it?

What's UOA?

Have 72k miles and has not been changed yet, OM shows 100k + and when I call MB last year they said car was designed for 142k miles or 10 years, I asked the guy if MB was crazy and he said no they had used very specific synthetic fluids in trans, cooling and break systems, and I would be wasting my money doing it sooner. So I kind of figured I would have tanny serviced this winter and the brakes also. But think I going to dealer for belt & tensioner once school starts back and I have more time.

I figure the only service I will do on mine is oil and oil filters, fuel filters, air filter, and cabin filters. At my age (65) and health issues that come with age after 25+ years of being road hard and put wet too often by US military.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Have 72k miles and has not been changed yet, OM shows 100k + and when I call MB last year they said car was designed for 142k miles or 10 years, I asked the guy if MB was crazy and he said no they had used very specific synthetic fluids in trans, cooling and break systems, and I would be wasting my money doing it sooner.
Reality will prove this to be bad advice.

I think the newest cars have reverted to a much saner 40k mile interval for trans fluid.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Reality will prove this to be bad advice.

I think the newest cars have reverted to a much saner 40k mile interval for trans fluid.
That's what I kind of thought, so figured 65/75K would do as with other long term owned I have owned and used synthetic tranny fluid, other wise those that I didn't got 35k miles or less.

With proper synthetic fluid should do better then 40k mi as has all mine have done last 30 years or so.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got my 06 July 17th 67k and not knowing if anything had been done "the service had been reset" I had the transmission fluid changed at dealer.

I changer the fuel filter, cabin filter, oil with Mobil ESP-M 5w40 and changer the diff gear oil with Mobil one 75w90,,,,,,,,,, NO just kidding Drivbiwire I read the post on the MB forum and went to MB and got the 85w90 MB gear oil and had the tires balanced & rotation done.

To spend a few bucks now to save a lot down the road is the way I look at it.

Now when the tect changed the trany fluid he checked the brakes and said I
have 50% left so as soon as I find a way to work on the brakes with out the MB tool
to deactivate electric part of the braking system I'm going to change them out.

It will cost me about the same if I let the dealer do it but I just have the want to do it.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I just got my 06 July 17th 67k and not knowing if anything had been done "the service had been reset" I had the transmission fluid changed at dealer.

I changer the fuel filter, cabin filter, oil with Mobil ESP-M 5w40 and changer the diff gear oil with Mobil one 75w90,,,,,,,,,, NO just kidding Drivbiwire I read the post on the MB forum and went to MB and got the 85w90 MB gear oil and had the tires balanced & rotation done.

To spend a few bucks now to save a lot down the road is the way I look at it.

Now when the tect changed the trany fluid he checked the brakes and said I
have 50% left so as soon as I find a way to work on the brakes with out the MB tool
to deactivate electric part of the braking system I'm going to change them out.

It will cost me about the same if I let the dealer do it but I just have the want to do it.
Man that's kind of hard to believe they were 50% gone, mine are at about 20% if even that much. The old sevice mgr that was at the dealership before having heart attack said the E Class was still going 90k plus on brakes depending on how and where driven. Wifes little '91 e had 130k mi on the orignal brakes.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
society of old benz's ?? what.. wheres our old fords diesels.. I have 15 of em.

No its people that have had TDI's and then bought Mercedes Diesels.
Not just Benz's that are old, new ones too.
We just can't leave Fred's.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Would love to make one of those Old Navy GTG's someday!
`85 300SD here: Matt's still got it! (and has since added an`06 Jetta TDI to the fleet) BT Cost, you must have seen this one around? He works pretty near your house.

SS(friends of count:eek:?)BO

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That W126 seems great. 350K on it, IIRC. He told me the doors for the A/C and heat are shot so he sets them for A/C in the spring and heat in the winter.

Trawlercap

TDI
03' Jetta
I can claim dual citizenship I guess. I recently let my 82' 300SD go after 350K miles (not all mine)

I stopped and drove a 240D that was along my path the other day. It was hammered. Nothing worked right, interior was broke down etc. I had to hose it off to be able to see out the window.

After I got back in my Jetta TDI it was like WHOA! These two cars were both designed to fill the same niche. A small 4 cylinder, economical, 4 door diesel. But look at the Jetta. Fast, maneuverable, instant cool AC, electric mirrors, killer sound system, and better MPG with 90 HP as opposed to the 240D at 60 HP or so. It was like, I always admire the older Merecedes diesels, but for real living you can't beat a TDI.

I am currently looking for a well preserved 78', 79' 80' 300SD. They are to find in good shape, and I am in no hurry. Let me know if you see one.:D

I recently came across this guy. I bought a buyers guide. Very informative and well worth the $17 to steer me away from any of the problem years or models.

http://www.mercedessource.com/

I hope I am not breaking any rules. I have no interest in this business, just thought I can pass on one of the "good guys" I like the logo "let us help you repair it yourself"

I want to get a nice older model I can tinker on and use for pleasure. I have the TDI for the real life moving me around (and I love it):)

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Cars that are decades apart will always be very different.

There was three years difference in my 2003 TDI and my 2006 CDI.
Speed goes to the CDI going around corners to the TDI with the H&R springs but not
if it was still stock.
Mileage was never a issue for me I just wanted 30 mpg hwy and something that was going to last.

My 2003 TDI drivetrain was as good as new when I sold it the other things like the head liner, rubber coating on door handles, clear coat on the bumpers had started to
age fast and come off.
I feel that with the way I was taking care of the TDI the drivetrain would last at least 400k with out anything needed (timing belts normal main) the rest of the car
was showing more than its age.
The sad truth is the small things not lasting is why I was looking for a different car.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
That's what I kind of thought, so figured 65/75K would do as with other long term owned I have owned and used synthetic tranny fluid, other wise those that I didn't got 35k miles or less.

With proper synthetic fluid should do better then 40k mi as has all mine have done last 30 years or so.
The interval is in fact 39,000 miles or THREE YEARS (Per the Maintenance Manual) on your W211 for the transmission...Reference "SERVICE 20". At first they recomended a "One Time" fluid change and have since reverted to a 39K or 3 years there after approach. Some people have even heard from dealers about some mythological "Lifetime fluid", that floors me!

The newest "7-G" transmissions all use a new generation Synthetic that can be used in all the older models, this has a 40K or 4 year replacement interval.

Here is your W211 service interval sheet: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Fillable_Service_Sheet_W211ver_9-2009.pdf

Here is the sheet for the ML and GL (W164 and W164X): http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/164_Service_Sheet.pdf

Here is the sample history for my 2006 W211 (5 speed): http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/transmission_Fluid_samples.pdf

As early as 20K it was obvious that the fluid was not going to make it to 39K for the first fluid change...From 22K to 31K the wear rates on Copper and Lead nearly DOUBLED, I couldnt see allowing them to double again.

If you have 70K and have never flushed it, you will need to do a full system flush! This requires about 14 liters of fluid, flushing of the cooling lines and torque converter to get those wear metals back down to safe levels. As a rule of thumb you must never allow ANY wear metal in these to exceed 100ppm.

Based on my calculations you are right about here:

65,000 miles
Aluminum = 30 ppm
Iron = 139 ppm
Copper = 218 ppm
Lead = 60 ppm

If you wait until:

82,000 miles
Aluminum = 38 ppm
Iron = 172 ppm
Copper = 272 ppm
Lead = 75 ppm

I project a transmission failure around 220-240K ($8500 including labor and misc parts) if you never replace the fluid.

Perform a Used Fluid analysis (Blackstone) and compare your results to my numbers.

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I will schedule a visit as soon as I can for this coming week if possible. I have a local trans shop that has serviced about every older MB in town and built one from parts for the one that was totaled out in wife's '91 Benz. There is something to say about having it done here in town for less then $100 and watch them do the work if they have the Xentry. Or I can drive the 130 Miles to dealership and pay $120 hr labor. What you think DBW? Would you have dealer or local shop do the job?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Its easy to do BUT you had BETTER have the required tools to do it...they probably will not.

No kidding this is the actual Factory Procedure...Works great! reduced my wear metals by 75% and takes about an hour depending on how much looking/inspecting you do while you are under there.
You will need:

-Fluid sample kit and extractor (Blackstone)
-Differential Fluid (Dealer only 85w90 uses the same socket as the VW manuals 17mm allen, heat the bottle in hot water before pouring).

-OEM Trans Filter Dealer item ($14.40)
http://genuinemercedesparts.rtrk.com/?scid=1191126&kw=4070066&pub_cr_id=3381536415
-Pan gasket ($9.20)
http://genuinemercedesparts.rtrk.com/?scid=1191126&kw=4070066&pub_cr_id=3381536415
-14 Quarts (liters) of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF ($13.00 per quart)
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx
-Mercedes Dipstick to adjust the fluid level

Test Dip Stick for Transmission, newer cars. With Plastic handle. And special tip. For all vehicles with the electronic transmission 722.6
http://www.samstagsales.com/mercedes.htm#transmission
-14mm ID Metric thread (1.5?) Thin nut (not sure exactly so going off of memory)
----------------------------------------------------

Anytime I replace the transfluid I replace the differential fluid. Its a 400 ft-lb diesel with a 5 speed torque multiplier ie LOTS of torque going thru those rear gear sets. I figure the $50 in fluid is worthwhile insurance on a $900 gear set (of course not including labor and all the other parts needed for the swap).

A dealer may tag you for $300 in labor so get this clarified before you show up and Emphasize a transmisison and Transmission cooling system flush not just a trans fluid and filter change!!! BIG DIFFERENCE! The Transmission cooling system flush purges the torque converter since there is no drain on your converter to get the old fluid out, this is what MB came up with instead.

-----------------------------------------

The procedure goes like this:
-Get the transmission to operating temperature approx 30 minutes of driving and 100C. This also mixes up the wear metals for an accurate sample
-Don't shut the engine off, using an extractor, pull a fluid sample from the transmission.
-Drive up on some Rhino ramps
-Use a jack and jack stands (or two jacks and safety stands) to support the back of the car so its perfectly level...very critical to getting the fluid level set.
TIP: use a level with the car on level ground and place it on the moonroof, that you you have a "level Reference".
-Once car is up and level compared to when it was on the ground,
-Remove the Forward and aft underside covers (and you thought it was bad having 1 on a Jetta??? LMAO).
-Proceed with the fluid change.
----------------------------------------

-Drain the pan via the underside drain bolt, as you may suspect some fluid will still be in the pan after it stops flowing.
-Remove the pan, inspect and clean the magnets and replace filter.
-Clean the pan of all residues (non residue brake cleaner), reinstall with new gasket.
-Fill the sump with 4-5 quarts of new fluid.
-Remove the Banjo fitting (fluid return line from radiator, PAX side, upper forward region of transmission)
-Reverse the fitting, screw on the thin nut and attach a 1/2" hose to the banjo bolt use a tie wrap to secure the hose over the threads or a small hose clamp.
-Route the line to a bucket.
---------------------------------
-start the engine, leave trans in park, wait for approx 3 quarts of fluid to fill bucket, shut the engine off.
-Refill transmission with 3 quarts of fluid, repeat 2 more times.
Note: you may want some extra fluid so that you flush the trans system until the fluid is a clear red. You will notice the old fluid is quite blackish red from the suspended debris from the clutch packs.

After the last flush:
-Remove Hose
-Reinstall Banjo bolt in transmission
-Inspect all the pans retaining bolts (8 if I recall)
-Reinstall lower trans and engine covers
-Lower the car off the jacks and ramps.
-Using the dipstick, check the pan temperature so that its approx 80C (double check) the fluid should indicate at the full mark on the dipstick.
-Take the car for a drive to heat the fluid up (10 Minutes).
-Take another "0" Mile sample to validate the reduction in wear metals.
----------------------------------------
-Remove dipstick and reinstall the trans seal.
Job Complete.

Good news, your transmission is now only $5296.00 plus labor to replace! :)

I am down in Viracopas and will be back on Monday, let me know if you need the full printed procedure.

Also, I would recomend getting the MB Service DVD, its the best $100 you can spend for your car! It has the full procedure on it and everything else required to work on your car. Much easier to use than Xentry since all other models are filtered out.

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
DBW I'm 65 and worn out, my wrenching days are over. I can do a fuel filter change, a topside oil change and change the air & cabin filter. But that is about the extent of my physical work any more, brake jobs, tranny flushes and such are behind me now I sorry to say.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Check with your local trans guy, print out the above write up and they should be able to help you out.

Buy the tools and keep them, If you ever sell the car the tools come with it for the next owner to increase your value.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
My first car ever was a 1981 300D. The lack of a turbo was not desirable, but I love that car, until my brother totaled it and my mother and sister teamed up to have my dad get rid of it in favor of a Camry. That car was gorgeous, and it had about 350K or so on it.

We just lost it and now I'm back in the hunt for another one of about the same age. The only thing I have to keep me in spirits besides my wonderful a4 tdi is my 1986 560SL. It's not a diesel but man it's fun.