Another VNT-15 turbo question

lektrikman

TDI
2000 Jetta & 2002 Jetta and 1986 TurboDiesel Jetta
I recently bought a 2000 Golf TDI with 160K miles on it. It has been maintained by the dealer, runs very well and doesn't use any oil between changes. I have recently gone through it and replaced the timing belt and all rollers and cleaned the intercooler. There was slightly more than 4 oz of oil in the intercooler, which for 160K miles doesn't sound excessive. While I was checking out the turbo I noticed that there is a small amount of radial play in the turbo shaft, but no detectable axial play. The air inlet to the turbo had a small amount of oil in it as well as the hoses leading into and out of the turbo. The turbo spools up fine and the VNT actuator operates freely. My question is: should I be concerned about the small amount of turbo shaft radial movement, or is that acceptable? Is there a reliable source of information about these turbos that I can contact about my concerns? It goes without saying that reliability is a top priority as I occasionally drive long distances and a road side failure is the last thing I need. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks-Lektrikman

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
a small amount of radial play is ok, its axial play (in & out) that is bad.

do you have vag com (VCDS) to make sure your timing is set properly?

congrats on the purchase. you should join columbustdidrivers on yahoo groups and come to some of our local dinner gtgs.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Hmm.....

Some oil in the intercooler is normal.
lektrikman said:
. While I was checking out the turbo I noticed that there is a small amount of radial play in the turbo shaft, but no detectable axial play. Differing views on this: some say there should be NO perceptable radial (side-to-side) play and VERY LITTLE perceptable axial (in-out) play.

Others say if you're only moving the compressor end of the turbo you will feel some radial play. They say the correct way (but very difficult way to do this while the turbo is installed) is to get your hands on the compressor and turbine ends of the shaft and check radial play by applying even pressure to both ends, then you will still find a small amount of play (approx .002-.006 in. -spec varies with the size of the turbo). When you only apply pressure to one side you cock the rotating assembly and use the bearing clearances in both directions, it adds significantly to the amount of movement. A rule of thumb, if you can only get to one side, is to inspect carefully to make sure the compressor blades haven't rubbed the housing (If you can see rub marks stop right there) then check radial play while turning the shaft. As for rotation, it may or may not spin like a pinwheel when you spin it wth your fingertips while reaching down the intake.

The air inlet to the turbo had a small amount of oil in it as well as the hoses leading into and out of the turbo.Normal- comes from the CCV. The turbo spools up fine and the VNT actuator operates freely. Thanks-Lektrikman

lektrikman

TDI
2000 Jetta & 2002 Jetta and 1986 TurboDiesel Jetta
Growler, Yes I have VCDS software and have the timing set slightly advanced. The car runs great, so now that the timing belt has been replaced and I'm sure everything is "right", I'm anxious to check mileage.