Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
If VW plays really REALLY nice with buybacks and additional consideration, then it would be a 2017 GTI. If not, Subaru WRX (maybe even a WRX STI). Whatever happens, next vehicle will definitely have a manual transmission.

Oldoarsman

TDI
FO: 2012 Passat TDI SEL, '10 Jetta S/W 6sp man, '97 Passat TDI 5sp man, '85 Golf Diesel
After HPFP failure, replacement of the DEF heater, headliner (twice), NOX sensor issues, and a few other problems prior to the emissions scandal, I purchased a used Mercedes ML350 4Matic with a gas engine back at the start of the year. Sold my 2012 Passat TDI SEL to CarMax for the best price I could find at the time. The ML has been bullet proof and a pleasure to drive. Please note that I've enjoyed driving VW diesels since 1985, but It appears that the technological challenges of my recent Passat TDI indicate that it was introduced to the market before it was ready. The M-class is a result of the lack of reliability of my Passat, my retirement last year, and my aging body's need for something easy to get in and out of. I am very pleased so far...

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
these cars seem hit or miss, my 13 Passat TDI has been flawless for 3 years now. My coworker bought a low mileage e300 something and it was a money pit. Everything broke on that car. He was telling me how great German cars were and that for the money he paid, he had the best car possible. He now drives an Infiniti lease.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Oldoarsman

TDI
FO: 2012 Passat TDI SEL, '10 Jetta S/W 6sp man, '97 Passat TDI 5sp man, '85 Golf Diesel
I guess my error was in purchasing a first year NMS Passat TDI. With the exceptions of the headliner and DEF heater, it was a great vehicle until the beginning of my fourth year of ownership when I experienced almost a year of excessive regens and reoccurring check engine lights leading to the HPFP and NOX problems. Very frustrating as I was very attentive to maintenance and to where I purchased diesel, but it was not enough to ward off the fuel-related and NOX issues. Purchased the ML with a MB warranty that extends to 75k or 4/2019. I've got 34k on it now and expect to average about 12k/year, so with regular maintenance, we should be OK. We'll see.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The Mini will be fun until it breaks. From owners I've talked to and what I've read, VWs are bulletproof compared to Minis.

giovane

TDI
13 Passat TDI SEL
As soon as I deposit the check from VW, I'll be looking for a pre owned, low mileage 2013-2015 A7 TDI Prestige, hoping the 3.0 fix will be approved by then.
If prices for will fall low enough I might consider getting a my 2016.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Put this on each model's forum

I suggest that this question be moved to each model's forum instead of this general VW forum.

The needs and objectives for each model are going to be very different. The owners of GTI's are completely different that the owners of Passats. Therefore, their answers will be vastly different.

I would expect that for each model you will find a small number of makes/models that most people are thinking about. And that these alternatives meet most of the same needs that attracted them in that VW model in the first place.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
2017 Smart Fortwo Cabrio, getting another manual, gonna load up on all packages. Thank you mercedes, good fuel econ, good quality and fun as hell to drive! PLUS cheap as heck!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
As soon as I deposit the check from VW, I'll be looking for a pre owned, low mileage 2013-2015 A7 TDI Prestige, hoping the 3.0 fix will be approved by then.
If prices for will fall low enough I might consider getting a my 2016.
I am with you. If we hold off until 2018, we get two more years use from our present TDi cars. By then, if there is a 3.0 fix, getting some form of CPO TDi SUV is looking like a good way to go.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I am going to go back into a used MB. 80's or 90's I have owned 4 MB diesels & all have been relatively trouble free & averaged 38 mpg . There are just too many variables & problems with VW's.

Last edited:

NickyMaz

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
I currently have a 2014 VW Passat TDI and I'm looking at getting a Toyota 4Runner. I love the comfort and fuel economy of my Passat but my wife just gave birth to triplets and I'm going to see the extra space and capability. The Passat is great on a summer say but it's useless in the snow we get here in Nebraska. I'm looking to do a trade in the next few months.

Motley

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I currently have a 2014 VW Passat TDI and I'm looking at getting a Toyota 4Runner. I love the comfort and fuel economy of my Passat but my wife just gave birth to triplets and I'm going to see the extra space and capability. The Passat is great on a summer say but it's useless in the snow we get here in Nebraska. I'm looking to do a trade in the next few months.
Congratulations! You're going to be too busy to drive.

PoochiePD

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Tempest Blue Jetta
I'm looking at getting an Audi B6 A4 with the 3.0 V6 and 6 speed manual. I don't drive as much as I used to and the AWD will be really nice for our treks up north. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the threat of expensive maintenance. Cam chain guides, anyone?

My wife has a 2004 Passat 2.8L 4Motion and it's been nearly flawless for over 205000 miles. The auto trans nor any other part of the driveline has ever been serviced to my knowledge. Bought it with 195k from the original owner.

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
How's the new Honda Civic?
Also, what's the market like for my maintained-with-precision 235,000 mile 2009 Jetta TDI? It's almost due for a timing belt and needs a new air conditioning system (about $1300 at a great independent shop)? I have fairly new Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-seasons and an extra set of factory wheels with new Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires (along with a lot of extra oil, filters, etc.).

Last edited:

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
Wife 1st thought about a Subaru, but then said she'd be perfectly happy w/ a gasser Passat if it has all the same goodies she has now. Looking at VW's site, looks like the 4 cyl turbo will be it. I would've like to go w/ the big V6, but our snow tires we have for the '13 TDi won't work on the V6. We are very impressed w/ legroom F/R and is comfy to ride in. By no means does it ride like our old '95 Town Car, but for what it is, it's not bad.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Glad I stumbled upon this thread. My son (and I...) have a '12 Golf TDI and he loves it. Drives it back and forth from VA to SC while in college and can roll into Charleston and still have just under 1/4 tank of fuel. He really doesn't want anything else but is very attracted to the buy-back option ($$s). Nothing else really floats his boat...

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
Thinking about purchasing the new Honda HRV. anyone else looked at this car
I have looked into them. I have not driven one. I was interested in one because they are about the same size as the Golf, but they have AWD. We have been a VW/Honda family for years now and both brands have treated us well. The bad things that I have read and heard about the HRV are all related to the powertrain. Essentially, the specific engine mounted to the CVT is pretty gutless. Other than that, they seem to be a great vehicle.

Like I said way back in the beginning of this thread, I'm looking for the AllTrack. It's basically the same size vehicle with a raised suspension and AWD. Has anyone been able to get any actual information about this car? I called all of the dealers in the CT/MA area and they all knew nothing. One didn't even know what I was talking about...

Another thing I noted is that I can get a '15 BMW X1 Xdrive loaded with ~8K miles for the same price that I expect to see for the AllTrack.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I am looking at plug-ins.

Only one within my price point, that will get me to work and back reliably, that isn't called Leaf, is the Volt (Gen II get 50+ miles on a charge, electric only).

We plan to have at least 5kw of solar at our retirement place in MO, so the plug-in fits well into our scheme.

Meantime, electricity is cheap and my 30 mile commute would cost about 2.5 cents per mile for propulsion using grid power.

Besides, I want to play with that neat regenerative braking paddle on the steering wheel! :)

meducky

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2013 Passat
My next car will be either a Toyota or a Subaru. If VW have crazy good incentive on a replacement vehicule, I may consider it.

Mike_S

TDI
Sportwagen TDI 2010
Oddly, Diesel only a part of why we bought the Sportwagen. The JSW had other attractive features. The long box 66 cu ft stowage has been very handy at times. We traded a 2010 JSW TDI for a 2014, thinking it was our "last car". What a well thought out driver's car. Avoided the non-IRS, non-DSG, non-GTI brakes 2015 Mk7.

Still unhappy with VW on the 2017 marketing plan, although the TSI gasser still has IRS. We can't get DSG and Driver Assist together as it stands, without getting the poser Alltrack for well north of 30k.

We simply can't use an EV car, we drive ~400 trips monthly, and none of the affordable hybrids are real driver's cars yet. I mean, a Prius? Truly a great car, but not for me.

Big thing for us is the rapidly developing "driver assist plus" packages. In our late 60's, it occurs to me these have really significant safety features. Mercedes, Subaru and Volvo are the best at the moment, from what I have read. The new 2017 Audi A4 and A6 will be quite good, but you have to get Prestige (~50K) just to order Driver Assist the A4 and the A6 is slightly more expensive than that. The JSW for 2017 will be using the same system, although again only in the premium priced model. Don't feel bad, Merc E300 forces a $12,000 dollar set of options that includes $3000 of "Drive Pilot", this brings it in at $68k.

So, in the states we have the Dealers telling the manufactures to let them bend the consumer over on pricing "packages". It is a bit of a joke. Spend way more than you should just to get one essential feature. Such an important safety feature and they jack the pricing to the moon. Very negative vibe. May just buy the highly rated Subaru. They do not jack prices and their Driver Assist system is excellent, with of the very best brake assist systems in actual testing. And they drive well, too.

However, I like the JSW space and driving feel. The fuel economy of the TSI is not that bad, if there is no viable Diesel alternative. I am waiting until summer 2018 (like most everyone else!). Maybe by that time there will be in depth reports on the VW Driver Assist or even improved versions year by year. The latest systems are firmware upgradeable if done correctly.

Diesel is taking a back seat to safety features, but I still want a well designed, well built driver's car. Getting all that in a comfortable, fuel efficient, relatively inexpensive car is tough these days.

That is my two cents.

Last edited:

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
none of the affordable hybrids are real driver's cars yet. I mean, a Prius? Truly a great car, but not for me.
You may well be aware of this, but Toyota redesigned the Prius for 2016, and it's supposedly much better than it was in previous iterations. I haven't driven one yet, and based on the reviews, I don't think it'd qualify as a "real driver's car," but you should at least be aware that it's much better than it had been.

The Ford C-MAX and VW Jetta Hybrid are also both supposed to be much better from a driving dynamics point of view than the (previous generation's) Prius, and perhaps a bit better than the current one -- but again, I've driven neither. Of course, the Jetta's a sedan, so if you want a wagon or hatchback, it's out. It's also being discontinued for 2017 (or so I hear).

Big thing for us is the rapidly developing "driver assist plus" packages. In our late 60's, it occurs to me these have really significant safety features. Mercedes, Subaru and Volvo are the best at the moment, from what I have read.
This is another reason to look at the 2016 Prius. It's got lane-departure warning with lane-keep assist, forward collision warning with auto-braking, blind-spot monitoring, and one or two more minor advanced safety features. (Getting all of these would require buying a Four with the Advanced Technology Package or Four Touring trim, though -- that is, the top of the line.)

NoFuiYo

TDI
None :'(
I've considered it at length and I like the GTI interior more, the VAQ diff is also a big selling point, and the larger brakes. I haven't sat in a 2016 GLI but I'm worried the same build construction and materials will be a carry over from my current Jetta.

EDIT - Plus leather, I'm not the biggest fan of V-Tex.
If I am not mistaken, the GTI Autobahn that you like only comes with leather seats for the US market (I think in Canada you can get an Autobahn trim level with the iconic plaid seats though). Regardless, that GTI is a sweet little car. My local VW dealer also sells Subaru and I sat on a new WRX and on a GTI back to back and i like the GTI's seats better and the driving position too:D Well, that is personal preference;)