Defective Tire? Wait...Bad Bearing? Wait..Wait..

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
OK, couple of weeks ago I went to Sears to buy some Falkens and the guy talked me into buying some Sumitomos...195 14s...so after I get the car I head home, radio blasting, happy in the knowledge my car is now dealing on H-rated rubber
. My wife drives the car for the next few days and complains about tire noise...
..say what??? When I finally drive the car, sure enough, there is some ugly resonance in the rear, follows the speed of the car starting about 15 mph, then levels off to a steady pitch at about 75...dangit, brand new defective tire. I make arrangements to swap another set of tires, different brand on the car, after I put the spare on the right rear and the sound changes quite a bit...bingo I think.

On the way to Sears this morning, I drove across several different types of pavement and the uneasy thought suddenly hit me that the sound didn't vary...what the...oh no, a bearing? But how would bearing noise suddenly spring into existence as soon as new tires are put on??? I shoved it out of my mind until after I get the new Falkens on, then sit and drink my chai, chanting "bearings good...bearings good..." then I take off...a minute later I am chanting " bearings bad...bearings bad...".

Soo, to make a boring story shorter, took it to Larry's and he scoped it out and said " You got a bad bearing there, fella..".

Gonna have both bearings replaced monday on the rear...but how would new tires exacerbate them to the point they suddenly start howling virtually right after the tires are changed? Could the noise have been there for a long time and I just tuned it out as old tire noise from wear?

Oh well, let it be said that Sumitomo Srixons and Falkens, sold by Sears, are good tires snicker. Rock steady at high speed, will perform way past your ability to keep your buttocks in the seat as you try to swerve to see if the bearings make more noise, he he. That's my story, hope you stayed awake. The moral of the story is bearings going out can sound exactly like tire noise...and can possibly be stressed by new tires? (scratching head)

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Re: Defective Tire? Wait...Bad Bearing? Wait..Wa

Interesting. I am getting some groaning out of my wheels and I assume that my bearings are having problems. Oh well, hopefully they can hold 130 MPH next Saturday...
-BB

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI

If you get that fast, my advice is to coast down to a sane speed before you put on your brakes...applying them at that speed will send brake/drum/hub/bearings temp into a new category
, and will probably take a bite out of the life they have left. Bacon cookin...but it may be worth it to see 130 on the speedo

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus

Thanks for the info--I'll be glad that I've upgraded the pads up front!

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI

Had both rear bearings replaced today. Mechanic said the right rear was making all the noise, but I don't want any surprises since the left one was the same age. Wow, I had forgotten how quiet it could be inside!

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora

Looks like I might have this coming up. Just gets annoying to hear the bearing at highway speed. BTW, approx how much was the repair job?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI

241 with tax, their bearings. They are only a couple of miles from my work so it was pretty painless. I don't mind the labor charge as much as I used to (holds his hands up) look! no contusions this week!