Lakeland, FL to Anchorage in a new 2015 Golf Sportwagen

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I have no idea if this is of interest to anyone, but it's worth having in the archives, i suppose.

Deciding to sell my '09 JSW TDI back to VW, the hunt was on for a replacement. I've really liked many features on the JSW: panoramic sunroof, heated seats, fuel economy, torque, DSG, etc. And I've recently learned that although each of my 5 bicycles fits somewhat easily into the JSW WITHOUT REMOVING THE FRONT WHEEL, this is an uncommon ability. Even with much larger vehicles.

So back to the original - I wanted another TDI Sportwagen and the deals with the VW financing rebates were too good to ignore. I found a brand new 2015 Golf Sportwagen in Lakeland FL with all of the features I want. A key component is an interior that is NOT BLACK! Over Labor Day weekend, I flew one way to Orlando and picked up the car on Sunday at noon, two days before hurricane Irma was due to hit. I had one bicycle along so that when I was tired of driving I would be able to get on the bike and ride for a bit.

Stayed the first night with a great friend in Gainesville, and the second night with relatives in Knoxville. Then to my hometown in Southern Ohio for a few days to visit relatives. Heading west, I stopped in Ft. Collins to see our son in college there. From that point, it was skedaddle to Anchorage: succeeding nights in Helena, Calgary, Dawson Creek, Watson Lake, Whitehorse, and finally to Anchorage. Some long days in the seat. The car performed beautifully. No surprises except for the first time the auto wipers kicked on and quickly went to high speed in a thundershower in Tennessee.

I'm still converting miles and kilometers and gallons and liters to get an overall MPG or L/100 km figure. It appears it will be in the 47 to 48 MPG range. And I was not traveling slowly. Several days the average speed was over 65 mph or 100 km/hr.

Satellite radio worked pretty well until I was in western BC and in Yukon Territory. Very sporadically in Alaska. Snow was falling near East Glacier [Logan Pass was closed] and just south of Canmore/ Banff. No snow sticking to the roads, but some intense cold precipitation caused me to take it easy and slow down a bit. The lighting package is way better than my '09, so when the sun was setting and I was in the area of bears, moose, bison, etc, I was able to avoid hitting any animals. The sunroof allowed me to note a wonderful aurora show when I got to Dawson Creek.

My last time to drive the Alaska Highway was in 1993 and it's in MUCH better condition now. I set the cruise on 110 much of the time [metric, baby] and that worked well. Pickup on even this new engine was smooth and easy for passing.

That's probably enough rambling for now. If anyone is interested in parts of the trip, I'm happy to answer. I'll be posting perceptions of the car in the MkVII forum.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
sat radio

When reception is spotty (or gone due weather) - if you can't get AM/FM radio either - you CAN play MP3's on an SD card. The one in our 2015 Golf works great. I would have suggested it if you would have let us know beforehand ...

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
When reception is spotty (or gone due weather) - if you can't get AM/FM radio either - you CAN play MP3's on an SD card. The one in our 2015 Golf works great. I would have suggested it if you would have let us know beforehand ...
Thanks. I had some CDs to play and had a couple of SD cards, but was trying to get the most from my "free" 3 months of SAT radio. I knew that once back in Anchorage, I would not be listening to it again. :(

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Mike, enjoyed your trip synopsis.

How much of the Al-Can is still gravel?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI

That was a shock - exactly none of it. And the curves are long and gradual for the most part. Cruise set on 110 [metric, baby!] a good part of the way.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE

Heck even back in 1998 there were only a few miles in construction zones back when I drove it southbound at about the same time if year... beautiful drive...
Just wish I had more time...
Did it in 5 days, Kenai AK to NH....about 5500 miles.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
More than 5 days.

Stayed the first night with a great friend in Gainesville, and the second night with relatives in Knoxville. Then to my hometown in Southern Ohio for a few days to visit relatives. Heading west, I stopped in Ft. Collins to see our son in college there. From that point, it was skedaddle to Anchorage: succeeding nights in Helena, Calgary, Dawson Creek, Watson Lake, Whitehorse, and finally to Anchorage.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thanks for sharing this, Mike. Driving to Alaska is on my bucket list, but I've always been concerned that my TDI wouldn't be up to the road conditions. Guess that isn't an issue any longer. Someday...

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for sharing this, Mike. Driving to Alaska is on my bucket list, but I've always been concerned that my TDI wouldn't be up to the road conditions. Guess that isn't an issue any longer. Someday...
Not in the least. Even in the days of the poorer conditions road, I drove a 1986 Saab down and back - it turned over 100k and 110k miles on the trip. The biggest problem was mosquitos clogging the air filter about a quarter inch deep.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Oddly, I can get my road bike into my Golf hatchback without taking off the front wheel, if I turn the handlebars so the front wheel points up. In my wife's 2017 wagon we can get TWO road bikes in without taking off the front wheels, and we put an old wool blanket between them to avoid scratching them. We do have a Thule rack for the wagon, for those times when we need to carry bikes AND cargo on road trips.

With the mountain bikes, I have to take the front wheel off on the hatch, and on one of the two bikes in the wagon due to the wider handlebars.

A great feature of these cars!

CarlosF

TDI
2010 GSW TDI DSG Blue Graphite
I love reading about road trips like yours. Good on ya. May you have many more enjoyable trips in your future.
When not staying with friends and family, did you sleep in the wagon?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
I love reading about road trips like yours. Good on ya. May you have many more enjoyable trips in your future.
When not staying with friends and family, did you sleep in the wagon?
Mostly hotels. I arranged them online, sometimes only an hour before check-in. In the sparse areas of Canada, it was difficult to make the reservation on-line, but I got to town and started asking around. I did have a tent and bag along in case I got stuck somewhere without a place nearby and I was really tired.

Yes, I really like a good road trip. My wife, not so much - hence my traveling alone.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Mike, I enjoy reading about long road trips. Sounds like the new TDI preformed awesomely well! Oh, and you drove right by my location north of Knoxville over the state line in Kentucky.

I've driven the Alaskan Highway 9 times since 1986. As I recall, in 1986 there was about 100 miles of gravel beginning at Liard Hot Springs going north.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike, I enjoy reading about long road trips. Sounds like the new TDI preformed awesomely well! Oh, and you drove right by my location north of Knoxville over the state line in Kentucky.

I've driven the Alaskan Highway 9 times since 1986. As I recall, in 1986 there was about 100 miles of gravel beginning at Liard Hot Springs going north.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the note. Do you recall me waving at you on the Seward Highway the last time you were up? FWIW, I was exiting the SEE quickly to avoid any Irma effects. Not much dawdle time.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Mike. Yes, I do remember...

It was our intent to return to Alaska this past summer. However, due to several delays before departing and then a couple breakdowns, we turned back at Saskatoon, Saskatchewan making a swing down through the Badlands on the return.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
Just found this thread. The Alaska Highway trip is also on my bucket list. Hopefully this next summer. I will have to do the trip alone, Anita says why don't I just fly. Both cheaper and quicker.
As for cheaper - maybe, depending on your choice of lodging. A tent and camping can be done quite cheaply. And obviously, like my wife, she's not one to enjoy a good road trip. The portion through Yellowstone, Glacier, and the Icefields Parkway alone are worthy of your attention. Enjoy your ride.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
On my bucket list as well. But I may try it with my Egg camper. Have to plan it out with parking spots for the night and finish some more upgrades in the camper.

Anyone make the trip up to the Arctic? Don't you have to get permit or permission for the last few miles?

Jason

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
On my bucket list as well. But I may try it with my Egg camper. Have to plan it out with parking spots for the night and finish some more upgrades in the camper.

Anyone make the trip up to the Arctic? Don't you have to get permit or permission for the last few miles?

Jason
Depends on which road you take. If you take the North Slope Haul Road {The Dalton Highway, yes you'll need a permit beyond a certain point. If you choose the Dempster Highway in Yukon, you need no such permit. I'd prefer the Dempster anyway.

http://www.yukoninfo.com/region/dempster-highway/

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Dempster is awesome.

We drove it to Inuvik, NWT in 1993 with an 83 Air-cool Vanagon.

We've been back to the Arctic Circle several times since that first trip.

The Dempster begins about 25 miles east of Dawson City, Yukon ...... best I remember, it is about 230 miles to the Arctic Circle and another 245 miles on to Inuvik.

And, this is going to be an awesome addition beyond Inuvik.. (on my bucket list)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/inuvik-tuktoyaktuk-highway-1.3526669

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Only reason I know about Dempster is from watching Discovery Channel and Ice Road Truckers. Sounds like another drive added to my bucket list.

Jason

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
I've wanted to cycle the Dempster since the mid-80s. I read an article about a many who did it solo this summer and it looked awesome, but he got into some serious mud issues. If I drive it next fall, I'll at least have one of the bikes along. Maybe the fattie will be the best choice.

lktango

TDI
'13 JSW

Jason
I drove the haul road on our 2015 trip to Fairbanks. It was quiet due to flooding north of the Arctic Circle, pretty much no truck traffic. No permits were needed to get as far as the Arctic Circle and my passenger then was a gentleman who drives that road, delivering diesel to the North Slope. I have seen his videos of driving it in the winter with temps in the -50s. We are planning on driving to Inuvik next spring on our way (well sort of) to Fairbanks again. Also planning another side trip to Skagway to ride the train again. It's a great driving trip, lots of great scenery and interesting places to stop.

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
Last time I drove the haul road was 2003. I was living in Fairbanks, the summer days are long, intending just to go over the Arctic Circle near Coldfoot. At that time the road was dirt, some potholes, and an occasional stretch of pavement in the middle of nothing. Frost heaves will do that. Seeing the Taiga was interesting, noting where the oil pipeline disappeared into the earth and reemerged, plus crossing the Yukon river were some highlights for me.
As for driving in Canada, I bring a couple of audio books, lots of CD's, and some philosophy pod casts to keep me company. Because I live in SE Alaska it is quicker for me to drive thru B.C. than taking the ferry. Also much cheaper and the scenery thru B.C. is beautiful either via ferry or driving.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
vPike dot com (looking at the haul road at Coldfoot

In the link below, pick up the little yellow stick man and place him on a Blue Line road... This is near Coldfoot, Alaska. You can do lots of things with it....

Note, you can us vPike.com to see most any road in North America and other places around he world.

https://www.vpike.com/?place=Coldfoot,+Alaska&submit=Street+View&r=e