www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old June 21st, 2019, 07:33   #1
sbbamafan

Default Timing Chain Tensioner Noise

So I have had timing chain tensioner noise since I got my car with just under 30,000 miles. Dealer told me what it was at 39,000 miles - even though I asked earlier but they did not document it. They say it is normal - which I still don't really believe. I would really like to know a few things such as -
*Is it harmful?
*Will it get worse? It makes that annoying and somewhat embarrassing sound at startup only for a couple of seconds.
*Is it covered by the diesel warranty if something catastrophic happens? I also have extended Audi warranty.
*Is it something that I am obligated to fix myself before something happens on it's own?
*What else should I know about it?

I hate the noise (it just sounds harmful) so I have been reading a bit about how to silence it (other than expensive repairs). I read about Liqui Moly Mos2 and decided to try it. I have to say I am generally very cynical about additives but this one at least sounded like it would not hurt anything. I bought it last night and put it in. I started the car and let it run a few minutes and it seemed quieter - but the real test would be when cold this morning.

This morning I started the car and the noise was totally gone! I am really shocked. I am now curious how long it will last. Has anyone else had similar experience?
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 07:58   #2
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
So I have had timing chain tensioner noise since I got my car with just under 30,000 miles. Dealer told me what it was at 39,000 miles - even though I asked earlier but they did not document it. They say it is normal - which I still don't really believe. I would really like to know a few things such as -

*Is it harmful?

*Will it get worse? It makes that annoying and somewhat embarrassing sound at startup only for a couple of seconds.

*Is it covered by the diesel warranty if something catastrophic happens? I also have extended Audi warranty.

*Is it something that I am obligated to fix myself before something happens on it's own?

*What else should I know about it?

I hate the noise (it just sounds harmful) so I have been reading a bit about how to silence it (other than expensive repairs). I read about Liqui Moly Mos2 and decided to try it. I have to say I am generally very cynical about additives but this one at least sounded like it would not hurt anything. I bought it last night and put it in. I started the car and let it run a few minutes and it seemed quieter - but the real test would be when cold this morning.

This morning I started the car and the noise was totally gone! I am really shocked. I am now curious how long it will last. Has anyone else had similar experience?

I’ve read one other similar report, that stated the noise went away temporarily. You added to the engine oil, yes?
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 08:08   #3
sbbamafan

Correct.
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote