www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old April 6th, 2019, 21:22   #16
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK7 Golf S

I have MIB II retrofitted already, but I didn't go with a Nav unit... I don't remember finding any for less than about $500 at the time. My non-nav was only around $130, found on eBay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Cuzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 08:50   #17
Nuje
Veteran Member

Ahhh - so you're good then. Curious as to how much extra hassle you'd be in for in switching in the Nav. Thing with the Nav is that (I think?) it outputs audio via the MOST cable, to the amplifier (which you probably don't have). But the Nav (Discover Pro) unit I have does also have the regular speaker output pins for all of those coloured paired wires, so I'm guessing it'll output sound over that if there's no MOST connection available.

Either way, you wouldn't need that MOST splitter cable in the instructions - you'd just need a MOST cable that goes directly from the head unit to the cluster. (MOST doesn't like having an empty connector)
Something like this maybe (?)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dension-Rep...2/222161033175

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2

Last edited by Nuje; April 7th, 2019 at 08:52.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 10:49   #18
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

I had Jack (the gentleman from Poland mentioned in the GolfMk7 MIB retrofit thread) perform all my CP removal/activation when I upgraded. He did so remotely, took about an hour. So I have App Connect FEC tied to my VIN. I would need him to remove CP, re-enable my App Connect and add the Nav FEC. I already reached out to him, just waiting for a response (he does this work on the side).

My understanding is the same as yours for the audio output. If it doesn't default I would guess it just needs to be coded. There must be cars with nav and without premium audio so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm running a Helix Soundbox (with my own sub) so no MOST amp. I figured I would need a straight through MOST cable so thanks for the ebay link. I need to determine a good length for the MOST cable. I'm an aircraft electrician by trade so I have thing for clean routing.

Is the MOST connection on the cluster the same as the one on the amp? If so, maybe I could just source that cable. I know it will be long enough. Any excess length can be secured wherever space allows.
Old April 9th, 2019, 21:05   #19
Nuje
Veteran Member

I haven't taken a look at the amp since I did my first digging around, but I imagine it'd be the same. And yes - you'd have PLENTY of length (having said that, there's a fair amount of space behind the display where you could coil up a bunch of it).

Old May 9th, 2019, 12:39   #20
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

So I want to begin this post by saying that Nuje is a bad influence. With that out of the way, ordered AID and bezel from vwpartsvortex. They are associated with a dealership in NJ, have source plenty of parts with them before. Came out to under $950 shipped 2-3 day express.

Ordered 4 different brands of brushed aluminum vinyl on Amazon. Hopefully one of them is a close match for the stock Golf trim. If not I'll go to one of the mini expensive custom shops here in Los Angeles and have them find something to match and get the bezel wrapped. Figure it won't be too expensive since it's just the one piece. Also ordered a 2 meter most cable for $25 bucks. Only a few dollars more expensive than the eBay cables but guaranteed delivery Saturday instead of 4 Saturdays from now.

MIB 2 unit with nav was delivered yesterday. I will be setting up a session with Jack from Poland to get that taken care of.

Found an 8-inch matte display on eBay, sold as is but working when removed from the car. From a dismantler a few hours north of me. Listed at $175 or best offer. Offered 100 and they accepted. Fingers crossed it works. If it does I'll order the proper bezel. Haven't been able to find them for less than $160 but that would still put me under $300 for the upgrade. If it doesn't work I'll hold off on me 8" inch screen for now.

I'm getting excited now. Had to resist the urge to pay for next day shipping on everything. Every time I paid for super fast shipping I get busy and don't get anything install for a month.

Did I mention Nuje is a bad influence?

Old May 9th, 2019, 13:32   #21
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzoe View Post
So I want to begin this post by saying that Nuje is a bad influence. ....
Did I mention Nuje is a bad influence?
You're welcome.

Old May 9th, 2019, 16:29   #22
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

You mentioned that your dealer was really good with this sort of thing. Especially considering that none of the things in your car are supposed to be there, much like mine will be. I'm actually going to ask Jack if he can do immo/key coding. He has Odis access so I suspect he can and he really knows his stuff when it comes to these retrofits. That would make my life really easy, especially since I'm already going to have him setting up my new nav unit.

There's also a guy on the golfmk7 forum, username doctor. He offered to have a go at enabling drive modes for me. He has them enabled on his European 1.6 TDI that did not come with them so we're hopeful. If Jack can't get me straight I might try him before I go to the dealer. hopefully he's like Jack who wouldn't even let me PayPal him until the work was done successfully. Although I have no problem paying for time spent doing something that is out of the ordinary.

I'm wondering if I'll need to upgrade my cann gateway and or body control module to finish all the retrofits I have in mind. Heated seats is one of them but also front and rear fog lights (I have the dynamic tails, left and right with fog, but not the proper harness or wiring to BCM). I also have everything on hand to install ambient lighting, not sure if my body control module has enough outputs to control it though.

Old May 9th, 2019, 16:42   #23
Nuje
Veteran Member

In doing some of my retrofits (e.g., folding mirrors), it certainly helped that I had Highline ("SEL" in US-speak), as the control module for the mirrors were simply missing wires - and once I wired in the lights, I was able to flip the bits in VCDS and get everything working without hassle.

The next retrofit i'm looking at is adaptive cruise control (ACC), and with my GSW already having the front assist radar sensor in the bumper, and the right ABS control module (I think), it should be do-able in software (albeit requiring non-dealer kung-fu from someone like "doctor", with whom I've similarly been in contact). And if that goes well, then next up is blind-spot monitor/alert (maybe?).

If you can find DV52 on the Golfmk7 or Aussie VWwatercooled (he's Austalian) forum, he seems to be the most knowledgeable I've come across in assessing what electronic needs retrofits might require, as well as being able to read and decipher wiring diagrams.

Old May 10th, 2019, 09:08   #24
bizzle
Veteran Member

Now I'm finally getting tempted to do this.

Cuzoe, what leftover parts do you have that I could use to upgrade to MIBII?
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 12:17   #25
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

Interesting about your door modules. I had to replace mine when I installed the power folding mirrors but I didn't add any wiring and everything works.

bizzle... According to USPS my eBay special 8-inch screen will arrive tomorrow. I'll test it when it arrives. If it works I will be ordering the vent surround for that which shows in stock in quite a few places so I would expect to have it by the end of this coming week.

I am having my nav unit programmed on Tuesday so the non-nav unit will be available at that time. So if all goes well end of next week I'll have the main unit and 6.5 in screen available. The 6.5 inch screen doesn't require a new vent surround so you're already good there.

Without going through everything that's in the thread on golfmk7, all you will need is the aux-in Port/harness. I sourced mine from AliExpress for about 40 bucks iirc. You will also need the vas5054 tool if you're going to have it remotely activated. I think that was about 70 bucks, or you can borrow mine for the cost of shipping once I get my AID programmed.

Old May 10th, 2019, 13:08   #26
Nuje
Veteran Member

Oh right - the wiring I added (to my SEL-level door modules) was for the puddle lights (see below). The folding mirrors were indeed plug-and-code-and-play.

Old May 10th, 2019, 15:02   #27
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

Gotcha. I'm also impressed with the way that logo looks. I have puddle lights waiting to install, along with the additional wiring required. I was afraid to order the VW logo even though it actually looked good in the pictures on AliExpress. Looks just as good in your picture.

I have rear puddle lights waiting as well but in one of the threads I have saved somebody in Europe with a GTD eventually had issues with rear door lock indication. I know there's no controller back there so the lights were tapped into something else, can't remember what. I don't think I'm going to install them. And so far exactly one person has ever been in my backseat.

Old May 11th, 2019, 10:31   #28
bizzle
Veteran Member

Cuzoe,

Let me know. I'm near SD but I travel to LA for family frequently.
Do I still need vas5054 if I've got VCDS?
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:49   #29
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

Yes, the vas5054a device is a Volkswagen dealer/service level tool. Using it requires a (paid) account and logs into VW's system to allow maintenance. It allows things like removing component protection, enabling features, module replacement/updates, etc. Things that people without knowledge of the system probably shouldn't play with. I imagine someone could royally screw up their car if they somehow logged in and started messing around.

The guy that did the coding for my retrofit had me set up a virtual environment on my laptop. I then set up a TeamViewer session and he did everything remotely. The vas5054a plugs into the OBD port and then USB to the computer. The tool is more capable than vcds but its advanced capabilities aren't ones typically needed. After he got my equipment programmed I still used vcds to play with coding (changing the startup logo, setting the proper vehicle type, etc.).

And to be fair, he offered to set all those things for me so that I wouldn't even need vcds when he was done. I just wanted to play around.

Old May 11th, 2019, 11:03   #30
Nuje
Veteran Member

"Basically, if you have to ask if you need ODIS, then you don't. Get VCDS."
(read that in another forum)

For this type of stuff, obviously, you do need it (remote dealer-level access), but for typical "enthusiast"-level tweaking and coding, VCDS is by far, the better option, if only because it's a simpler/cleaner interface, and you're going to have access to the manufacturer's (Ross-Tech's) support.