October 19 GTG

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
London area GTG #3 . GTG #2 fell by the way side I'm trying for Oct 19 .We could meet at Timmy's on Dorchester Rd North of 401 Dorchester turn off[5th wheel TS] and possible my shop.Hope to see you there.

intensity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/02/Galaxy Blue
I would be in (with some advance notice, so I can book off) Dave, give me a call. My new cell is 519.870.0648. If we do go ahead with the GTG i'll get the DG pipe before hand.

keep us posted.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I'll be there! I'd like to have the water injection pump installed at that time. That's the only remaining thing. Everything else I have, including (IMO) the centrepiece of the system: the large capacity windshield washer tank

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
I have to go to London to pick up a couple of old tube radios...have a contact there who fixes them.

I'd be up for a Timmy's and some sage advice on hydraulic clutch bleeding, on the way back. Didn't even know until recently that the AHU clutch was hydraulic. My discussion with the VW "service advisor" on the issue was laughable.

Looks like it's going to be another DIY!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Bleeding the clutch should be easy compared to the problem I'll be bringing there if I don't solve it first by some other way ...

My hood is jammed shut. Pulling the cable does not release the latch. I can feel tension on the cable, so I don't think it's broken or detached.

Arrgh.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Update. Got the hood open, and we fixed the out-of-adjustment latch that was the cause of the problem. All good. Now I just need to change the left upper strut bearing (assuming that's what's making a racket when turning the steering wheel...)

DZLguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Jetta GLS TDI
Hey Brian: Have you ever had a chance to get that Dawes Device installed on Vic's car? If not, are you willing to try it on my ride? I've emailed Dave to scare one up for me if possible. I'm game if you are. I'll only be there till about noon or so, but that's better than not at all.

**DONOTDELETE**

Have you figured a way to get the nut off? I have a couple of different nuts you can use to make one jam nut (am I still on the hook for this?)

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Originally posted by GoFaster:
Now I just need to change the left upper strut bearing (assuming that's what's making a racket when turning the steering wheel...)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Does that mean you're coming?

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Hope to be there, not sure what time or for how long...schedule subject to change.

DD tell Deanna I said hello

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Gerry, Andrew (they guy with the gas Passat
) will be there. I guess he had such a wonderful time that he managed to convince his wife to let him out again after the last outing which ran way past midnight!

He asked for the favour if you could bring the diagnostic tools for his 16V. If there's any problem with this, please feel free to give me a call and I will relay the info.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Both my driver's side front and rear doors are almost impossible to open. I think I will need to take the latch mechanisms apart.

My regret about the winter tires I just bought and installed is that they rub against the wheelwell on my lowered car, but only when hitting big bumps and road dips. I got Dunlop Graspic DS-1 205/55-15 and had I been smart, I would have gotten 195/55-15. If anyone is interested to buy, I'd consider selling. 205/55 fit perfectly on stock-ride height Passats -- GoFaster has this setup. My suspension is 1 - 1.25" lower which is enough to rub. The Kumhos that came out are completely toast. Chunks of rubber coming out with exposed steel belts!
Lesson learned for the next time...

P.S.: Hope all your Thanksgiving weekends were good

[ October 15, 2002, 08:06: Message edited by: TDIMeister ]

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Dave I hope you got your alignment reset for the new tires

Terrible with names...will the owner of the black beetle be returning, or did she get anything solved with the car yet?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Alignment is done.

I guess I should call Cathy about the GTG. I already e-mailed her about it, no response.

intensity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/02/Galaxy Blue
I just recieved word, that I won't be able to book off for the 19th. I will however be able to leave work around 4ish. Will anyone still be around?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Originally posted by [intensity]:
I just recieved word, that I won't be able to book off for the 19th. I will however be able to leave work around 4ish. Will anyone still be around?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I will likely leave Dorchester about that time (or until Gerry kicks me out
) as I need to be in Toronto at 7 p.m.

D. Lynch

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Upsolute
Sorry we'll miss this one.

We were in London last weekend for turkey time.

Miss London :-(

We had low power going to London. Slowed on hills. Need to figure out why.

Could it be fuel quality? We were running Sunoco Gold as we usually do. Full tank before we left. On the way back we filled up at Flying J on the way out of London. No power issues.

our tdi has 44,000 klicks.

Other than regular dealer service it hasn't had any other changes. What should we consider for improved drivability?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

'01 tdi jetta
lowered
wood
Borbets (until the snows go on!)

[ October 21, 2002, 16:56: Message edited by: D. Lynch ]

D. Lynch

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Upsolute
Checking the MAF--

but I'm technically challenged!

Any quick hints on where to look in the forum? In the car?

Dave

ps thanks for the hint. Haven't posted here for a while. Been hiding in Mississauga since December.

Dave

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
D.Lynch

Just curious, you filled up in Mississagua, drove to London and had to fill up to come back? did you make a detour via Windsor? Cuz you should have been able to drive to windsor & back and still have a 1/4 tank?
Oh, wait a second, It was thanksgiving, you were all a few pounds heavier and no doubt had lots of turkey to bring back....my bad!

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
oct19 GTG Looks like alot of members are coming out to Dorchester GTG ,maybe you can park across from Timmys at the ball park just down the street the timmys lot is small. I'll be there around nine am.see you there . ps will have some filters,maf's etc there. DD

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
DD, Coming from the "Far East", I may not make it to Dorchester by 9:00. If you're thinking of heading for your shop or an alternate location (in the rain) perhaps you can post or e-mail the address to me.

I'm bringing down the last few litres of the biodiesel I got this past summer: http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004305#000073 The stuff smells strongly of methanol...maybe there will be an educated "sniffer" in the group who can give their opinion on whether it's normal. Actually I'd love to have it tested against the ASTM standard but don't know of a lab that is set up to do it (or would do it for a reasonable price).

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
Many thanks for hosting, Gerry. Sorry I had to rush away but very much enjoyed the GTG...the chance to take candid photo's of the K03...the exciting technological breakthroughs...simply dazzling.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
I'll second that

Thanks DD for the shifter fix, reverse lights working perfectly again!
Now to just get at the other 50 maintenance things I've neglected