www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 20th, 2010, 18:06   #16
huntingman2706217

i was told there was someone in Hampton G.A. somewhere? i need to find this guy... 110k now and havent touched the timing belt either... wanna get it all done...
huntingman2706217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:47   #17
Zambee500
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingman2706217 View Post
i was told there was someone in Hampton G.A. somewhere? i need to find this guy... 110k now and havent touched the timing belt either... wanna get it all done...
See post #4 in this thread.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:27   #18
huntingman2706217

aahh... thanks lol...
huntingman2706217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 11:44   #19
jaymon

Default 1

Anyone know of a good TDI place in CT?

I have 106K and want to get this fixed.
jaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:17   #20
JackSquat

Just had mine done with the timing belt at 86k miles. I talked to my long-time mechanic who specializes in German cars and although he had never done the procedure, he was confident it would be no problem. So far so good!

My only issue was that the chain-driven parts he removed showed absolutely no signs of irregular wear or imminent failure. So now I am left wondering whether to feel lucky that my car is in good shape or foolish for listening to the "alarmist yahoos" on this board (as my wife calls them/you/us).

Anyhow, my mechanic is great and now has one BS module under his belt.

Tioga Honigmann
Automotive Solutions
2809 White Cross Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
(919) 933-3884

JackSquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 15:56   #21
DickSilver
Veteran Member

Good shop in Lexington KY:

Fast Enough Performance
710 Downs Ave
Lexington KY 40505
859-258-2015

www.fastenough.com
DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 03:16   #22
thundershorts
Veteran Member

eastern pennsylvania: Don at d'ambrosio vw 610-269-9500
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:58   #23
jek
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47-50 in the Passy, 25-28 in the Chevy, 20-23 in the Cummins

Metric Mechanic, another Missouri shop about two hours south west of st. louis on I44. Talk to Courtney. He can and will do anything at an amazing price and quality! 573-765-1269 two thumbs up!
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:28   #24
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymon View Post
Anyone know of a good TDI place in CT?

I have 106K and want to get this fixed.
I have one from CT and one from Indiana right now.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 14:24   #25
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevster1 View Post
I have one from CT and one from Indiana right now.
I just did one from Indiana today... and one from Kentucky... and the other one from Kentucky just left... and there is another one here just finished from Pennsylvania that I am waiting for the ECU to come back from RC.

It has been a busy week here. And the week is not over.
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:01   #26
Green Waters
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '05 Golf
Fuel Economy: 50 mpg

Anyone you could recommend in Northern Midwest in the Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis/St. Paul corridor?
Green Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:23   #27
ekkoh99
Veteran Member

I would drive down and see Oilhammer.
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:59   #28
Swingboy01

Fuel Economy: When traveling at 55mph - almost 50 mpg, usually average 43 mpg on freeway 35mpg in town.

New shop in Ellensburg, WA.

Eastside Automotive Inc.
500 South Main Street
Ellensburg, WA 98926-3637
(509) 962-8484

The guy to ask for is Mike.

Good work, well organized, and well put together.
Swingboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 20:06   #29
seugnigg

Default Noises +++

Can somebody help me with the questions I have?

I am new to the TDI group.
I've got a 2004 Golf TDI with now 215,000Km on it. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 190,00Km. Old timing belt looked fine but did it anyway since I did not want to have major engine repairs at some point down the road. Is there balance shafts in this one?

Earlier this year I purchased a used 2005 Passat Wagon GLS TDI.
The engine shakes badly. Odometer shows 173,000 Km now. I've driven about 15,000 Km since I purchased it.
Have a few issues with it.

1) Right headlight shakes badly when idling and tranny is in gear.

2) Serpentine belt also vibrates a lot and there is a constant rumble and worst noise coming from the idler pulley when the engine is warn and running idle in gear. If I put the tranny in neutral and increase the engine speed to 1,100 RPM the noise goes away. What could be causing this noise? Idler pulley system and serpentine belt were replaced and within a few days the noise was back. It's very anoying when you are stopped and the engine is making all this racket. Passer by are having a second look at the car and wonder if something is going to come out of the engine compartment.

3) Saw the posting about the balanced shaft upgrade. I find it kind of odd that the crank gear does not have a key to line up the gear with. How can the timing of the balance shaft be accurate if there is no way of knowing where the gars are supposed to line up? I am seriously considering doing the timing belt replacement since I have no way of knowing if it has been done or not and at the same time I'll be doing the balance shaft. Obviously replacing the chain for the same antiquated technology is absurd. And from what I see it looks and sounds like the better way to go is with the geared system.

Advise would be appreciated.

PS, just got a recall letter a few days ago regarding TDI's being difficult to start when below freezing temp.
I don't have any problem with the Golf but the Passat is a diffrent story.
I is parked in the garage and the temp. is about 5C and it has been sitting for a few days, I have to try to crank it a few times before it will go and when it does, it is not pretty to hear. Marble +++ in the engine feels like its not starting on all cylinders and belching smoke like crazy. Hope the recall will fix the problem. I live in Calgary Alberta and when it gets cold i really gets cold.
I'm afraid to even take the car if will sit outside for longer then half a day outside when the temperature is colder then -5C because I can't tell if it will start or not.

Thanks
seugnigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 20:10   #30
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seugnigg View Post
Can somebody help me with the questions I have?

I am new to the TDI group.
I've got a 2004 Golf TDI with now 215,000Km on it. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 190,00Km. Old timing belt looked fine but did it anyway since I did not want to have major engine repairs at some point down the road. Is there balance shafts in this one?

Earlier this year I purchased a used 2005 Passat Wagon GLS TDI.
The engine shakes badly. Odometer shows 173,000 Km now. I've driven about 15,000 Km since I purchased it.
Have a few issues with it.

1) Right headlight shakes badly when idling and tranny is in gear.

2) Serpentine belt also vibrates a lot and there is a constant rumble and worst noise coming from the idler pulley when the engine is warn and running idle in gear. If I put the tranny in neutral and increase the engine speed to 1,100 RPM the noise goes away. What could be causing this noise? Idler pulley system and serpentine belt were replaced and within a few days the noise was back. It's very anoying when you are stopped and the engine is making all this racket. Passer by are having a second look at the car and wonder if something is going to come out of the engine compartment.

3) Saw the posting about the balanced shaft upgrade. I find it kind of odd that the crank gear does not have a key to line up the gear with. How can the timing of the balance shaft be accurate if there is no way of knowing where the gars are supposed to line up? I am seriously considering doing the timing belt replacement since I have no way of knowing if it has been done or not and at the same time I'll be doing the balance shaft. Obviously replacing the chain for the same antiquated technology is absurd. And from what I see it looks and sounds like the better way to go is with the geared system.

Advise would be appreciated.

PS, just got a recall letter a few days ago regarding TDI's being difficult to start when below freezing temp.
I don't have any problem with the Golf but the Passat is a diffrent story.
I is parked in the garage and the temp. is about 5C and it has been sitting for a few days, I have to try to crank it a few times before it will go and when it does, it is not pretty to hear. Marble +++ in the engine feels like its not starting on all cylinders and belching smoke like crazy. Hope the recall will fix the problem. I live in Calgary Alberta and when it gets cold i really gets cold.
I'm afraid to even take the car if will sit outside for longer then half a day outside when the temperature is colder then -5C because I can't tell if it will start or not.

Thanks
Double posting is a NO-NO, especially in the wrong thread.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote