www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:27   #46
jarlt

I have taken my 2005 Passat TDI wagon to 2 dealers and 4 independent shops; after smoke test replaced inter-cooler, then a month later N75 and one hose, after second smoke test replaced turbo (ouch), then wire harness. They say they check all hoses and clamps and there are no leaks. Dealer doesn't know for sure but thinks replacing the ECU, $1500, may fix it. Here is the VCDS:

Chassis Type: 3B - VW Passat B5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,19,35,36,37,46,47,55,56,57,58 ,75,76,77

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 038 997 016 T
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 0314
Coding: 0150034
Shop #: WSC 26030
VCID: 2F1190BFFE13
1 Fault Found:
16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached
P0299 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

Thanks for having this forum
jarlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:46   #47
pedroYUL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~17.5 km/L

Got the code in my BEW jetta.

Solved it by replacing the MAF
pedroYUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 16:14   #48
zindude
Default Replaced everything. Now what???

Hello- please help. Was getting "overboost code." Replaced turbo. Now getting "underboost" code. Replaced MAF, Pressure boost sensor, intercooler, N75 valve, cleaned EGR valve and intake throttle. Hoses look good but from what I understand leaks can be elusive. Code is set off both when climbing a small hill at slow speed and cruising at highway speed. Really need to get her back on the road. Any thoughts truly appreciated.
zindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 18:17   #49
Quest4TDI

Got a P0299 code again today in our '05 Passat. Interesting in that the symptoms have been intermittent, and the actual MIL has not indicated any codes. Since this is the second time the symptoms happened, I connected my Scan Gauge II. Even that did not show a Code, but you can then look for what Scan Gauge calls Pending Codes, which is where the P0299 was hiding. That's probably why my MIL indicator never came on.

Happened this afternoon, and clearing the (pending) Code made things run correctly again.

I took an initial look under the hood, but VW sure doesn't make a visual inspection easy, even if you know where to look (not that I do, but I'm reading various threads here to learn). I'd hate to take it to the dealer, but if it takes me too long, I'll have to go that route so my wife gets her Passat back relatively soon.

Our Passat is fully stock, except for the BSM that is. I'll update my post when my problem/solution is found

Herb
17" Factory Alloys
Quest4TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:27   #50
vanderchevy18

I'm having the same problems. I've replaced vacuum lines, n75 valve, sealed intercooler piping connections, and still have the problem. Mine will go to limp mode once every morning. As long as i keep it above 2000 rpms it seems to feel fine but it will still go into limp mode just once a day. I thought i would try a tune hoping it was a programming problem but I'm having an issue with the programmer not wanting to work. Once I get that figured out I'll tune the car and see if it still has an issue. If so its going to Chad Eurotec in Wichita. If it turns out to be an intercooler or piping issue I'm going to build my own intercooler pipes and use some real clamps instead of the total junk VW decided to use. I'll let y'all know.
2003 Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4 6.0l Powerstroke- 450hp (Wife's)
vanderchevy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 14:13   #51
Biodezl
Veteran Member

I have been having the same problem for months. Last weekend I replaced the hose between the N75 and the turbo and decided to provide some strain relief at the turbo actuator. Basically I cut a 3-inch piece of transmission oil hose with an inside diameter just slightly larger than the outside diameter of the vacuum hose. I slid the tranny cooler hose over the end of the vacuum hose, firmly attached the vacuum hose to the turbo actuator, then slid the tranny hose down toward the turbo actuator. Looks nice, eh?
[IMG][/IMG]
My car would go into limp mode primarily when driving at low loads at the point at which I would slowly start to accelerate. Often this would happen in the morning as mentioned by other posters. The best (worst) example was driving West on I-80 down a hill, and just as the road leveled out while I was still coasting, and as I started to press on the go pedal, poof! No oomph to get over the next hill as several semi-trucks are crawling up my tail!
After a week of driving, no more limp mode!
Why would this work? First, the extreme bend that the hose has to endure has always bothered me. Just seemed like a problem waiting to happen. I figure that since the vacuum is highest when the boost is at zero, this is when the hose is most likely to collapse under the strain of the vacuum. Any small bend or kink in the hose is going to make it more probable to pinch off the vacuum "flow." When the ECU tells the N75 to give more boost (less vacuum) the hose is pinched off and under vacuum. Eventually the hose will open up, but the ECU is too impatient and acts to protect the engine and throws it into limp mode.

2005 Passat Wagon TDI Silver
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Automatic Green

Last edited by Biodezl; June 28th, 2012 at 08:27. Reason: typos
Biodezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 13:42   #52
Quest4TDI

So BIODEZL, you didn't have any split hoses or vacuum leaks that you are aware of, just the possibility of the hose collapsing due to the combined effects of the vacuum and the bend?

How long ago did you make the line support, and any recurrence of the symptoms?

thanks,
Herb
17" Factory Alloys
Quest4TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:25   #53
Biodezl
Veteran Member

The N75 to turbo actuator hose had some of the cloth braiding worn off, but no signs of cracking or other leaks. Heck, the hose was newly installed a year ago during the post-accident rebuild. That's what made my diagnostic process go so slow... I kept thinking it was something else. Since this fix a week ago I've been purposefully driving in ways that would usually cause the underboost code and limp mode to happen. So far it's like I've got a new car! It now drives like all the diehard B5.5'ers have bragged about. Chip helps too, of course.

P.S. Over the past year and a half, just about everything associated with the the boost control system was replaced including the N75, all vacuum hoses, one-way valve, O2 sensor, MAF sensor, intercooler and other stuff, but not the turbo and the boost hoses themselves. There are no cracks or leaks in the boost hoses, yet.

Last edited by Biodezl; June 28th, 2012 at 12:59.
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:15   #54
cspeter8
Veteran Member

After getting 16683 I found a hole in my turbo outlet hose (the 10" s-shaped hose in lower front passenger side that costs $230, Part# 3B0145828K.. but I cannot figure out how to disconnect the hose from the turbo? Can someone explain what to do with that clip to disengage the hose? It does NOT want to come off. thanks
~sold
(Greasecar kits on all)
cspeter8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 23:42   #55
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Up until a few days ago, the car was still acting tired with occasional limp mode caused by turbo underboost. Then I discovered the chemical cleaning process in the "Power Enhancements" section and decided to give it a try. You can read more about it here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...34#post4020434
Car is back to normal. Here's a teaser photo:

Has anyone else tried this?

Last edited by Biodezl; December 5th, 2012 at 23:46.
Old February 20th, 2013, 16:08   #56
travelin77

My 06 beetle did same thing, i found the vacuum hose bundle that runs along top of intake hose had rubbed a hole from the intake hose clamp...looked normal up top but found when turned it over.
travelin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 19:25   #57
lavimia

can anyone tell me what the max boost on the bhw mine shows 2400 milbar, is this the stock boost pressure or is this a tuned value??
how can i tell if my car is tuned??
it runs very strong passat wagon tdi 2.0 bhw.
thank you for any responses.
lavimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:57   #58
spartan
Veteran Member

I am having the dreaded under boost issue on my newly purchased 05 BHW Passat. I have looked at all of the vaccuum lines, pulled apart and resealed the intercooler pipes (after inspecting them for leaks). I am still getting the code and it is sending me into limp mode, here are details:
-Mainly occurs when going 70+ mph on the highway, on a slight grade (sometimes it will go into limp mode right after a cold start in the AM).
-I logged my requested vs. actual boost while cruising and it is always 200-400 mbar lower than requested. It seems to set off limp mode at more than 500 mbar difference.
-I logged requested vs actual under heavy throttle and the difference does not occur, they are very close to each other.
-I ran an output test on the N75 valve at idle. I read that it was supposed to change the actual boost around 150 mbar during the cycle. Mine did not change at all.

Long story short, should I be looking for a new N75 valve? I am going to run a boost leak test (hopefully tonight) and make sure I don't have any leaks. I have also seen recommendations to swap the N75 with the EGR solenoid as they are the same thing, is this something I should try?

Edit: check your actuator, mine doesn't hold any vacuum at all!

Last edited by spartan; March 30th, 2013 at 15:15.
spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 15:56   #59
spartan
Veteran Member

Edit on my post above, spent 6 hours replacing the actuator (without removing the turbo), got the arm moving freely and adjusted correctly, went for a drive success! That is until I got in the car again later and it went into limp mode again going 40 mph . I am seriously at my wits end, just bought the car and it has been nothing but problems, to top off the day I found that I have the dreaded torque converter code! I have no boost leaks, a brand new N75 valve, and new vacuum hoses, any suggestions would be awesome.
spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 22:08   #60
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Hey Spartan,
I share your frustration. My wife won't drive the car anymore because of the infrequent, but very unpredictable loss of power due to the underboost code.
We really need a fool proof troubleshooting guide or something that will help us get to the bottom of this.