www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Closed Thread

Old December 31st, 2008, 14:32   #61
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Two more done today. Now I am out of some minor parts (fasteners) and have a bunch more stuff on order.

The dealers do not sell any 'kits' and most of them do not even have any idea about this upgrade.
Old December 31st, 2008, 17:00   #62
tdigreg

Thumbs up

thanks oilhammer
mine is now quiet, the gear drive is amazing, the door panels are rattle free its like a new car(still needs a good cleaning), what a difference now i feel safe to go for 500K

Last edited by tdigreg; December 31st, 2008 at 17:07.
Old December 31st, 2008, 17:14   #63
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdigreg
... the gear drive is amazing,... its like a new car(still needs a good cleaning), what a difference now i feel safe to go for 500K
Exactly how I felt. You just don't realize how bad it was until after the surgery. You "know" it is bad before, but the results make it crystal clear that this is the way the engine should have been built.

Your car will also have a small part in the next revision of the PDF. I was able to get pictures of using the 3393 subframe alignment pins on your car.
Old December 31st, 2008, 18:37   #64
tdigreg

thank glen sorry our paths didnt cross yesterday hope to see you soon its just as smooth as yours thanks for all the research
Old January 2nd, 2009, 18:41   #65
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Revised PDF to include pictures of 3393 alignment pin usage, change wording about pulling off the crankshaft sprocket (it will always break - heating didn't help), and used options to reduce file size significantly.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 16:37   #66
sschnath
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Passat
Default Apparently I'm living on borrowed time

Just logged in after a little over 4 months and just read all the posts on the BS problem. This forum is an amazing resource and thanks to all of you that have contributed.

I did my first timing belt/water pump on my '04 TDI at 105K and started getting noise at around 130-135K. Took it to two dealers, neither could isolate the problem (although both thought it was in the timing belt area) and now I understand why.

I have 194K now and have been living with the noise all this time. I figured if it was a bearing in one of the tensionsers it would get worse and I would deal with it then. I really didn't think it was timing belt related as it just seemed way too soon after the initial work was done and I just couldn't afford to have them start poking around without a better idea as to what it might be.

The noise hasn't gotten worse so I've continued to monitor it. Some days it's worse than others but overall it hasn't been getting progressively worse over time so I was beginning to think it was normal due to the mileage on the engine.

I had planned on doing the next belt change at 210K. That would probably be 4-5 months from now. I think I need to accelerate the timing belt work.

Normally I would have the dealer where I bought the car do the work -- I've been pretty happy with them for the most part on smaller jobs. But they really stuck it to me cost-wise on the first timing belt job and I'm not going to let them do the next one.

I've started having another VW dealer in my area do some minor work just to try them out. Initial estimates indicate that they'll be more reasonable on the cost of a timing belt job. However, I don't know whether I'm ready to let them at the BS yet.

I live in the Kennebunkport, Maine area and work outside of Boston, so I can travel some if I need to. Can anyone recommend a quality shop in this general area?
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:01   #67
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Chris Hill (MrCHill) is probably your best bet. His shop is in Braintree MA http://www.kraftwerke1.com/
Old January 5th, 2009, 18:46   #68
cspeter8
Veteran Member

Default how to get the special service tools

We have a detailed illustrated procedure document, a source to buy the kit at worldimpex.com (sku #935619) and alot of suggestions on how to select a local mechanic to do the job.

One additional thing I feel I am hung up on - where do we get the special service tools? Are they available at the volkswagen dealer parts dept, or elsewhere?

thanks
~sold
(Greasecar kits on all)
Old January 5th, 2009, 19:13   #69
MOGolf
Veteran Member

www.samstagsales.com
tools.vw.com (an Equipment Solutions division of Snap-On site)
and World Impex can also get tools.
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:05   #70
oilhammer

Some dealers will also order them for you, but it requires a few extra steps and that can be tough for them
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:08   #71
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

I have sent e-mails and filled out parts request forms at World Impex to verify if they have the BHW balance shaft upgrade kit parts in stock (IMPEX SKU # 935619). I have not gotten ANY response from them regarding this request yet. Has anyone ordered and recieved this kit from them yet? Or are they just taking orders?

Thanks,

Tony
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:31   #72
oilhammer

My other ones have been on order for a while and are still not in. Still likely a couple weeks away, and those are all spoken for as I understand.

There WILL be a shortage of parts as these start to fail. And the chain driven stuff is obsolete, and not being restocked.
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:41   #73
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
My other ones have been on order for a while and are still not in. Still likely a couple weeks away, and those are all spoken for as I understand.

There WILL be a shortage of parts as these start to fail. And the chain driven stuff is obsolete, and not being restocked.
Brian, does it make sense for some of us that are wanting to have this upgrade done to place orders at our local dealerships for these parts now? Even though there is a current lack of these parts in the U.S., is there a chance that by having additional orders placed the parts pipeline may speed up? What could placing of these orders hurt? Just thinking out loud here.

Tony
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:48   #74
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888
Brian, does it make sense for some of us that are wanting to have this upgrade done to place orders at our local dealerships for these parts now? Even though there is a current lack of these parts in the U.S., is there a chance that by having additional orders placed the parts pipeline may speed up? What could placing of these orders hurt? Just thinking out loud here.

Tony
Couldn't hurt I guess.
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:06   #75
KALaBenne
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35.2 MPG

OH, just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to do this job?
'82 MB 300D(turbo) 378K Tornado Survivor/Daily Driver
Closed Thread