3rd gen swap question

cursingvw

TDI
2002 jetta
4runner alh swap question. How do I rent the slice?

I bought a 98 4Runner with a alh already swapped out. Not drivable. Doing some reading I decided to make sure the transmission is aligned properly. But the bellhousing slot is not a circle for the dial indicator to measure off of. So it's an acme adapter 500 - T6. It also has 557 stamped into it. It's a 5 speed I'm wondering if this adapter was even made for this or what because I can't find any information on it on acme.

Last edited:

cursingvw

TDI
2002 jetta
Will the slice work with this or should I be looking for a w56 bell?

How do I get ahold of the slice?

Last edited:

cursingvw

TDI
2002 jetta
Is that eBay link the exact one I need? I know those tranny's were rebranded for other makes.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I was wondering how I was going to do that also. Thanks for posting and thanks for the answer Jimbote

cursingvw

TDI
2002 jetta
So I got the case to take my dial indicator measurements. This acme adapter is 138 thousandths off? Trying to figure out if I can actually center this.

cursingvw

TDI
2002 jetta
So I pulled the pins on the case that bolts up to the bell to see how much I could get out of it. I got it within 88 thous...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You can also get offset or indexable dowel pins. I would think you would want to pin it in place somehow once you line it up.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have also “Chicago’d” bolts for lining up machinery. If you have access to a lathe, turning the necessary bolts down a slight amount can achieve the same results as opening the bolt hole. Sometimes you can get one or more full diameter bolts to hold it in place that way. Just another angle to think about.

cursingvw

TDI
2002 jetta
I can't believe acme sold this garbage. It's going to be a trick. Unfortunately this is a backyard build no lathe. I bought the rig with the impression it was just needing accessories hooked up to be driveable...? I'm glad I didn't just go with it and roach my drivetrain. Appreciate the suggestions

Unfortunately the dowel pins on the plate are hollow to allow through bolting so offsetting them isn't an option only the ones that time the bell to the tranny

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I can't believe acme sold this garbage. It's going to be a trick. Unfortunately this is a backyard build no lathe. I bought the rig with the impression it was just needing accessories hooked up to be driveable...? I'm glad I didn't just go with it and roach my drivetrain. Appreciate the suggestions
Unfortunately the dowel pins on the plate are hollow to allow through bolting so offsetting them isn't an option only the ones that time the bell to the tranny
so the countersunk bolts that hold the plate to the block should lock the plate into the same spot repeatably... once you get the bell zeroed in you can weld your own dowels to the edge of the plate ... i think at least one bell dowel hole comes in close to the edge

cursingvw

TDI
2002 jetta
Well I finally found time and did enough head scratching to get the bell dialed in. I have it within .018 of center and think I will call it good. Or do I need to go more? I was just reading a Max of .010?

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Well I finally found time and did enough head scratching to get the bell dialed in. I have it within .018 of center and think I will call it good. Or do I need to go more? I was just reading a Max of .010?
moving in the right direction but needs a little more tweaking... make sure nothing on the engine is interfering with the plate's or bell's free movement