www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old May 11th, 2019, 13:10   #31
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK7 Golf S

$100 eBay 8-inch screen arrived today. Very well packed as you could see by the 10 ft of bubble wrap hanging off my counter. Nothing of concern aesthetically. Of course my wife took the car today so I can't test it yet but I'm hopeful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Cuzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:07   #32
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

My eBay special 8-inch screen works great. Proper vent surround has been ordered. I'm pumped, almost want to leave it in without the surround, haha.

Old May 14th, 2019, 07:23   #33
gqboy

TDI(s): 2015 Golf

So jealous of you guys who have done the MIB I to MIB II upgrade. If you know of someone in Ontario that can help, let me know. I'm too scared to do it myself...
gqboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 07:29   #34
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

If you're trying to save on cost by piecing it together it's a bit involved... if you're not as concerned with cost there are plug and play kits available.

Old May 14th, 2019, 13:59   #35
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqboy View Post
So jealous of you guys who have done the MIB I to MIB II upgrade. If you know of someone in Ontario that can help, let me know. I'm too scared to do it myself...
Yeah - if you have somewhere around $2000USD, you can toss it at APG in Poland and they'll have something on your doorstep within five days.

If you have stereo removal keys, the rest of the process is like 20-40 minutes of simple remove-and-replace.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 20:02   #36
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

Even though I have a nav unit and the 8-inch screen (still trying to source a bezel, the one I ordered was cancelled after "processing" for 3 days due to non-availability)... I stupidly found myself looking at the fully activated units from APG. The only reason is because they are discover pro and not discover media.

Based on a response to your post over on the Ross tech forum about coding... discover pro will show maps on both the AID and the main screen at the same time. I don't even have a real use for that but I want to know I can do it.

It's already too late since I have parts on the way but how are you typically using it? Ideally for me I would have navigation in the cluster with my audio app of choice on the main screen via app-connect. Is that possible?

Old May 14th, 2019, 22:57   #37
Nuje
Veteran Member

To be honest, I haven't really ventured far enough or long enough in the car yet to really figure out what how I'm going to make use of it. Driving around home, where I know where I'm going, what the quickest way from A to be is, etc. I've just been enjoying the look so far.

We're heading to Seattle in a couple weeks, which will provide me with a much better opportunity to figure out what my use case is going to be for both longer drives (3-4 hours from here) as well as driving in unfamiliar areas.

Old May 15th, 2019, 06:37   #38
740GLE
Veteran Member

I just want an 8" glass display (non nav) without paying $750+.

Anyone have a good hook up other than russian roulete ebay route with dead pixels stolen units?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 07:07   #39
sportwagen3
Veteran Member

What app do you use on AA to play videos like the game you have on the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzoe View Post
My eBay special 8-inch screen works great. Proper vent surround has been ordered. I'm pumped, almost want to leave it in without the surround, haha.

sportwagen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 14:59   #40
sportwagen3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
I just want an 8" glass display (non nav) without paying $750+.

Anyone have a good hook up other than russian roulete ebay route with dead pixels stolen units?
What's the part # for the 8" display without nav? curious in case I ever want to get a bigger screen from the 6.5". Also, do you know what the part# for the trim would be?
sportwagen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 22:43   #41
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

The app is called Carstream. It lets you watch YouTube on Android Auto. Also requires an app called AA Phenotype Patcher which allows the app to show up as available in Android Auto. Both can be found on the XDA forums.

Part number for 8" glass screen trim (piano black only I believe) is 5G1819728AGQYI.

Part number for 8" matte screen trim (in brushed silver) is 5G1819728AFDMD. I currently have it on order from two places in Europe. It's not available from anybody here in the states as far as I can tell, says part has been discontinued. It won't be worth the money to return one of the trim pieces if both places happen to come through for me... At which point I will be selling brushed silver trim for an 8" matte screen, haha.

Old May 19th, 2019, 18:40   #42
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

Almost there, did an okay job vinyl wrapping the AID bezel. I don't know how visible it will be when Tapatalk downsizes the pictures but my exacto knife should have been sharper. Should have grabbed a new one. Bezel is a pretty easy shape to wrap though which is good with it being my first time vinyl wrapping anything.

Old May 20th, 2019, 08:25   #43
Nuje
Veteran Member

Damn - for a first attempt at vinyl wrapping, I'd say you did very well!

(You should've see my first attempt at applying 3M "Invisible Shield" to a cell phone...let's just say it was a good thing I bought the 2-for-1 deal. ).

So - does that wrap it up (no pun intended) now? Mission completed?

Old May 20th, 2019, 09:45   #44
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportwagen3 View Post
What's the part # for the 8" display without nav? curious in case I ever want to get a bigger screen from the 6.5". Also, do you know what the part# for the trim would be?

found this kit

https://eurozonetuning.com/products/...2285480566888#

non nav screen (this is used on the 2018 GSW SE)

5G6919605C

ebay seems to be the best bet, if i knew a local pick you're parts lot i'd be more willing to wager the risk of ebay.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:24   #45
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

Just waiting on an appointment with Jack at this point... he is going to "marry" my nav card to my new MIB II nav unit... I'm still running the 6.5 inch screen which does not have a nav button but I can select nav from the menu. Waiting on the 8 in screen surround in brushed silver... no updates from either European vendor yet though. I'm impatient so I have currently got a full black trim swap saved in a shopping cart on VWPartsVortex