I just bought a 2010 JETTA TDI Cup Edition

TDIofSF

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
I just bought a 2010 JETTA TDI Cup Edition and I am new to the world of VW's, Jetta's, TDI's, diesel cars, car modifications, and even driving in general. It is my first car and I want to know what kind of modifications i can get. (I am looking mostly into performance upgrades)

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I just bought a 2010 JETTA TDI Cup Edition and I am new to the world of VW's, Jetta's, TDI's, diesel cars, car modifications, and even driving in general. It is my first car and I want to know what kind of modifications i can get. (I am looking mostly into performance upgrades)
Easy there, killer :)

My advice, FWIW is:

1. Read your owners manual cover to cover.
2. Repeat step 1.
3. Repeat step 2.
4. Get familiar with the forum on this site devoted to your engine/model year: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81
5. Break in your engine properly. There is a good thread on that somewhere around here. I am sure someone else will chime in with the link.
6. Do everything you can to keep the car away from the dealership.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
That's good advise in general. To answer your original question though, it really depends on what you intend to do with the car. How you use it is a big factor in what modifications you may want to consider. First off consider a skid plate. They add protection and piece of mind with little in the way of weight penalty.

Is your car DSG or manual? If it's manual, you may want to consider a DieselGeek short shift kit. Do you ride a lot of rough roads? If you do, you may want to consider a good set of shocks, if not, maybe you want to lower the car a bit. Once it's broken in, you may want to look at increasing the power with a good tune. Basically drive the car and think about what would make the experience better for you. Don't do random modifications for the sake of modifying, but pick out what will make the car work better for your personal driving.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Hope it's not an automatic...............
From what I've read, that car has the basics of a GREAT suspension. If it was me, I'd upgrade the tires, upgrade the brake pads, bolt some Bilsteins on all four corners.

After the engine is fully broken in, I'd go with a tune.