Traveling to Europe in July, Need Advice

limerence

TDI
Candy White 2003 TDI Wagon
Hi Folks,

Traveling to London in July. Thinking about going to France, Germany, and Austria too. Anything that I shouldn't miss?

I am thinking about visiting the car museums: Mercedes in Munich, BMW in Stuttgart, and VW in Wolfsburg. However, might have to slim down the choice given the time, to either VW only, or BMW and Mercedes as Wolfsburg is pretty far north.

Not sure if there are, but I am trying to see if there are any VW parts/items that are normally cost prohibitive here in the states to acquire or import.

1) Any items anyone could think of that might be a good idea to look into when there? One of those items I am looking into is a trunkliner for my 2003 Jetta Wagon. The one from: https://www.carbox.de/en/

Does anyone know what the MK4 Jetta Wagon is called in Europe? Someone mentioned Bora but on the drop down from Carbox, they have both the Jetta and Bora. I contacted Carbox customer support but unfortunately they have not been helpful and they have stated they will not ship to the U.S.

2) Are there any car swap meets in Germany? Would be awesome to be able to see vintage and modern day VW parts/memorabilia being sold.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In Europe it could be called a Golf Estate or Bora Variant, depending on the country.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
E-code headlights are cheap to buy there and very sought after here. A good used set of factory headlights in good condition is a significant upgrade over stock NA ones.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

limerence

TDI
Candy White 2003 TDI Wagon
In Europe it could be called a Golf Estate or Bora Variant, depending on the country.
Thanks.

In looking up the golf or bora variant, looks like they have the above available which I wanted. Something that when the rear seats are up, its a trunk liner and back seat liner, and when back seats down, its an extended liner throughout. Any chance you guys will carry these at idparts in the future?

When buying in Europe, two things I am pondering is that the back side of my rear seats have some type of plastic hooks/pieces sticking out that I do not know what they are used for that wont allow mats to lie flush. Other thing is that I do not know if the trunks of the euro cars have the same layouts as the US versions.

E-code headlights are cheap to buy there and very sought after here. A good used set of factory headlights in good condition is a significant upgrade over stock NA ones.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Thanks. Would totally get these but just bought a set of headlights from Midwest

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm pretty sure the trunk configuration is the same. And the hooks on the backs of the seat are grocery hooks. You can take them out if you want.

I haven't seen that maker before. I'd love to carry them if we can figure out how to get them economically.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The hooks (eyes more precisely) in the back seats are part of the child seat restraint attach points, not for grocery bags.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Bora or golf, both the same in the rear, either called a variant in most of Europe but estate in the UK. Never seen those liners before, looks pretty good though.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
MERCEDES is in Stuttgart, so is PORSCHE, BMW's home is MUNICH.
Try the AUTOBAHN and see how it feels if you go way above 100 MPH?

For shows see: www.vwshows.com

Last edited: