DSG and Real World Milage

whitelite777

Veteran Member
I asked this question in another place and it was suggested that I post it here.

I am real interested in Real World milage of the DSG vs. Manual trans.
Boy it would be great if anyone out there as had both.

I am thinking about an 06, so doing homework now.

Anyone???

Thanks,
Lowell

sid5210

TDI
2011 Jetta and 2013 Passat
I have a 2011 Jetta TDI manual and a 2013 Passat TDI GSD. I am getting the same on road trips. 52.4 from Nashville TN to norther IN with the Jetta. 52.5 from St Louis to Northern IN, 325 miles with the Passat. Love both, and have averaged 46.3 on 4000 miles on the Passat so far.

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
If i knew how to poat a pic I would put up a graph that shows the rpm difference dsg-vs-manual. The speed limit in my area has gone up to 75 which has also made a gigantic difference in my mileage. I get 40-42mpg @ 65mph...38mpg @70-73mph. Now they upped the speed limit I drive 78-80mph everyday and get 32,maybe. It runs 2600 to 2800 rpms on the hwy which pisses me off. My gas chevy truck barely turns 2k rpm at 85 mph or more. It seems a diesel with much lower rpm peak hp would be geared as such. I hate driving it on the hwy now.

Point is I would check the gearing between the two. Go with which ever one fits your driving situation. I love the car and the tranny so far...just figured its a very important point.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
The difference in final drive ratio would favor the manual for freeway driving, for sure.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
HORSE+BEATEN+TO+DEATH, BETS LET KEEP DOING IT FOR FUN...:D

It is more about the driving conditions (city highway) and the driver (lead or feather right foot), than the transmission.

If expertly manipulated the manual has potential for slightly higher mileage than the DSG. The DSG adds to the overall weight of the car by 100 lbs (about). It takes fuel (energy) to move (accelerate) weight. More weight, more energy needed. I suspect the internal hydraulics needed to make the magic happen in the DSG take some energy as well, drag or HP needed to drive the hydraulic pump.

There is no quantitate absolute. If you want get two equal VW TDI's, with same passenger payload, one manual, one DSG, both full, drive them side by side (or in trail) over a course representing whatever conditions you want to test, at normal speeds at normal accelerations under normal traffic conditions. Run a full tank would be nice, but that is over 600 miles and about 12 hours. Then you will see approximately the difference.

All other things being besides transmission, car chassis and engine are identical, there should be little difference.

I suspect the manual will come on top steady state highway due to the aforementioned gear ratio and the point I brought up, lighter weight.

People who "hyper mile", coasting a lot, turn the car off at lights, what ever wack-o-dootle extreme driving techniques they do, tend to own manual transmissions anyway. I can pop my DSG into neutral or manually shift. Again big difference is final gear ratio and weight. If you are an aggressive driver (meaning not fuel econ minded) it does not matter what transmission you drive.

It has been decades since manual transmission have rivaled or exceed MPG of manual transmissions, with 4, 5, 6 speed over-drive lock-up torque converter autos. The DSG is really an automatically shifting manual. It really is preference. DSG came from Rally car and Formula 1 racing. Only the Ferrari and later Porsche had DSG 10-15 years ago. If you live say in NY, LA, Atlanta and deal with stop and go freeway traffic, get a DSG.

Last edited: