Bad Injection Pump?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm not good with these videos, sounds more or less normal to me.
You're looking at a very expensive part. Why do you think it's bad?
Guessing the IQ jumps around as well.
Have a look at the timing belt system.

Last edited:

VIPNiSS

TDI
MK4
Timing belt was just changed. My IQ is jumping around too on its own. I will set it and a couple days it randomly changes on its own.. Probably hard to tell on the video but its LOUD compared to my other buddies TDI ALH

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Like I said I'm not good with these videos/audios. Sounds plenty loud, I hear several rhythmic noises.
Try a stethoscope or hose in ear, probe around the IP, the valve train, front, back, see if you can isolate what's offending.
If you're lucky Oilhammer will happen along, he's fixed over a hundred of these things.
I know from reading these TDIs do vary a lot in noise level, several factors. I've only had 2.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Always hard to tell over the interwebs, but yes that pump sounds worn aka "high internal clearances" to me... had one like it once. :)

The numbers will help tell the tale for sure... you say the IQ is bouncing around, how about the timing?

VIPNiSS

TDI
MK4
Always hard to tell over the interwebs, but yes that pump sounds worn aka "high internal clearances" to me... had one like it once. :)

The numbers will help tell the tale for sure... you say the IQ is bouncing around, how about the timing?
The timing does bounce around too.. so heres the behavior I have been noticing. Full disclosure this car is new to me and the timing belt service has been done..

IQ was around 3.2-3.6 and timing was dead on around 50 degrees..

next day timing is advanced to about 63-65 degrees and IQ is 5+

dieseldrive

TDI
2001 Jetta
To verify for sure that it is your pump or not, remove the timing belt from the pump sprocket and check for any free rotation of the pump shaft (I am talking totally free rotation with absolutely no resistance at all). If it has more than a couple of degrees of free rotation, the drive shaft/cam plate junction is worn out in your pump. Both of these parts, along with the x-coupling will have to be replaced. These parts cost is around $325 new from Bosch (I charge $575 total to repair a pump with this condition using Genuine Bosch new parts, about $150 less if you want good used parts).