Trunk will not open with the remotes

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
The background info;

My car only had the valet key when I bought it, so ordered some keys. The keys arrived a couple days ago and I had them cut.

Pulled the pin code with vag 401, and managed (with considerable fiddling) to get the keys programmed and working to start the car. (works a WHOLE lot better if the chips are IN the keys rather than the electrostatic bag ;) )

Then set about programming the fobs. Got it figured out (more fiddling :rolleyes: ) and the doors lock/unlock.

The trunk however...will not open with the remotes. I can open it manually with the keys, or using the switch on the drivers door.

And now the question;

For starters...SHOULD the trunk open with the fob on a 2003 TDI or am I hunting for a white whale??

I found one reference online to a valet switch in the trunk, but the car isn't here (wife took it to work) and the reference was not more specific. Don't remember seeing one, and I've been in there a time or three.

Possible programming/adaptation issue ie not enabled ??

Thoughts or ideas on where to start looking? I do not have an owners manual and cannot find anything about it in the Bentley manual.

I'm leaning towards it being a programming issue, but a starting point would be a time saver...

Thanks,
Al

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
My experience is with an 04 wagon. The fob acts as the switch on the door. Nothing flies open just allows you to open without a key in the trunk.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
on a 2001, it definitely opens the trunk. Dunno about 2003, but I imagine they should be the same.

HS6708

TDI
99 Jetta 1.9 TDI
There is a bit of a delay on mine, gotta push and hold the trunk unlock for a few seconds and then it’ll pop.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Wagons also relock after about 15 seconds. I imagine sedans would be the same.

Mk4’s take roughly about a minute to re-lock if the remote is triggered accidentally, Definitely more than 15 seconds, doesn’t matter if it’s a sedan or wagon.
On the sedan the trunk Pop’s open, on the wagon after triggering the switch on door or remote, you have to then press the pad on tailgate before you can Physically open it.

Bajan

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
Thanks guys.

I can confirm that the doors do in fact "auto lock" after about a minute when they've been unlocked via the remotes. Pressing and holding the trunk button on the remote for extended periods does nothing, as does multiple presses.

Will plug back into the car on the weekend and sort through the options/adjustments....likely just missed something. I did see a bunch of lock/unlock options, but don't remember seeing one for the trunk.

Al

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Thanks guys.

I can confirm that the doors do in fact "auto lock" after about a minute when they've been unlocked via the remotes. Pressing and holding the trunk button on the remote for extended periods does nothing, as does multiple presses.
If you hold the trunk button for a few seconds and you don't see the lights flash something is not programed correctly.
If all the fob's work the doors I can't believe they are all bad.
Maybe check http://www.aarodriguezcorp.com/
He has some help files.