Albuquerque/Los Lunas

HS6708

TDI
99 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hi all, new to the forum. I have a 99 Jetta TDI that I got as a salvage, long story short, the gentleman was told yhe engine was no good and so he junked the car. Engine had a horrible miss at idle but would smooth out as soon as it was put under load. After several hours of research on this site I was able to get the car running smooth again through various methods including the “Hammer Mod”, which brings me to now, engine starts, idles, and runs smooth, but is down on power so I’m assuming it needs to be fine tuned electronically. Am hoping to see if anyone in the Albuquerque/ Los Lunas area would be willing to hook up to it with their VCDS to clear codes and set it through computer, I’m able to bring the car wherever you are located, thank you guys all for your direction that has brought me this far!!

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Check all the vacuum hoses first and you should change or at least change timing belt if you don’t know when it was done the last time. I also need someone with vag com to ch3ck timing, if I had one you would be welcomed to use. Good luck let me know if I can still be of help. Also when was fuel filter changed?????

HS6708

TDI
99 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Going to check everything closely today, not sure about timing belt, was told that it was just changed, it does appear to be fairly new but don’t have any documentation on the service history, all I can verify is what I’m doing as I go along. Fuel and air filters are both new.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
HS6708 came over today and this is what happened:

He had set the injection timing by ear without a Vagcom, it was surprisingly close. (just slightly too advanced) We set his injection timing slightly below the green line.

I cleared all his error codes and then we drove it. One code came back:
"16485 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Implausible Signal P0101" We swapped in my spare MAF and then his car drove much better and the code went away.

He also had done the hammer mod by ear as well. His IQ was set to 2.0. We had to do the hammer mod again and we set his IQ to 4.5.

His car seems to be running much better now. :) Once he gets a new MAF, then he will be in business.

HS6708

TDI
99 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Just swapped in new MAF, car is running great, just need to clear CEL and all will be right in the world!! Ready for another 363,000 miles!!! Thanks for all your help mrfiat.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
HS6708 came over today and this is what happened:

He had set the injection timing by ear without a Vagcom, it was surprisingly close. (just slightly too advanced) We set his injection timing slightly below the green line.

I cleared all his error codes and then we drove it. One code came back:
"16485 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Implausible Signal P0101" We swapped in my spare MAF and then his car drove much better and the code went away.

He also had done the hammer mod by ear as well. His IQ was set to 2.0. We had to do the hammer mod again and we set his IQ to 4.5.

His car seems to be running much better now. :) Once he gets a new MAF, then he will be in business.
That was very nice of you to help him out. Not too often you see that.