Hard start and black soot

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Hey guys,

I am stumped and I was hoping to get some advice, I have a 03 Golf TDI. I am having very long cranking times when I try to start after sitting overnight. When it does turn over it does a lot of chuffing, hesitating, smoking and then it settles down and runs smooth. Other than that it runs and sounds great. It does turn right over if I am running errands, as long as it doesn't sit overnight or about 6 hours regardless of temp.

I have 465 across all 4 cylinders, new turbo, new glow plugs, new harness, new IP, IQ is at 5.8, IP Timing is set to the top of the range, new calibrated injectors and nozzles from Kerma, EGR delete, and I just got the timing belt replaced. I first thought air was getting in the system so I replaced any hoses that did not hold vacuum and I also replaced my fuel filter with one with a permanent tee(you know how much of a PITA that plastic tee is). I have no air bubbles in my fuel line now. At this point I am don't know what else it could be.

All this has been done in the last year chasing this problem.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Phil

VIPNiSS

TDI
MK4
Maybe your injection pump timing is too advanced? Are you at the blue range on the VCDS/VAGCOM or towards the top?

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Yeah, I thought about that too. I put it right on the blue line dead nuts and it did nothing. Right now I have it just shy of the upper green line. That is what Kerma TDI recommended for the dl520 nozzles which I have.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Have you verified that your glow plugs are actually heating?
.....just to rule that out.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
I have verified that there is 12 volts going to the glow plugs, I have not actually removed the glow plugs and physically seen them get hot though. I also removed the coolant temp sensor to get the full cycle of the glow plugs, but again no difference. It also happens when it is 70 degrees outside. Temp doesn't seem to change anything. A friend suggested a intake valve, but that would require removing the head and I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
I am going to try putting the inlet and the outlet from the IP into a bottle and that will eliminate any air in the system. If it starts great then I will know it's an air issue. I will give an update soon.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I am going to try putting the inlet and the outlet from the IP into a bottle and that will eliminate any air in the system. If it starts great then I will know it's an air issue. I will give an update soon.
Your IP could still be sucking in air, in which case this isn't necessarily the tell-all. Check injector return lines.

Black smoke is insufficient air (fuel rich). But... usually when cold you don't get black smoke (usually grey), so I'm a bit confused.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
I guess I do get grey smoke, but wherever I start the car I get a nice black spot of soot on the concrete. By the way, that does not come off my carpet very well just ask my wife.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Well, I went to start the car and no difference. It still starts like crap. Injector return lines have been checked and replaced. I would think if I had air in the system then I would most likely see air bubbles in my 2 foot piece of clear hose I put in.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Have you check the IP for leaking? If nothing is visible on the front, try down behind it over the thermostat housing. You will probably need a bright flashlight and a small inspection mirror.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
From the front its dry. I replaced my IP about a year ago because it was leaking, the funny thing is that it was leaking like crazy and it still started great. I can check the back of the pump to see, but I would be shocked if that is what it is.