advice on which injectors to buy

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
A lot of great threads here. I have a nice 2002 tdi Jetta wagon with 250 K and a 5 spd manual swap, AT injectors(.138) and would like a wee more power at our altititude(6300 feet). Do I go for MT injectors or up a step to 205's? We may do a malone 1 or 1.5. I want economy above power. Winter starting here(very cold) seems not great. Economy 50 mpg where I bought it in California. Diesel purge has made it purr. Should I leave well enough alone?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The manual and automatic injectors themselves are the same. The difference is the nozzles, stepping up to 205's will increase power and most likely fuel economy.

Bajan

Last edited:

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
The manual and automatic injectors themselves are the same. The difference is the nozzles, stepping up to 205’s will increase power and most likely fuel economy.

Bajan
^ I would agree.
Or even .216's with a clutch and a tune makes for a very nice daily driver without scraficing any milage.
Whatever you get I would suggest getting them professionally installed and balanced if you want top milage, power and starting ease.
I've had great results from DBW.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Years ago I upgraded my nozzles to .205's and had a Stage 3 tune done as well. With four adults, luggage, and the CC set at 75 MPH I consistently got 52 MPG. In a large part your right foot affects FE more than a tune will.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
.205s do well to balance performance and mileage. As said, the right-foot is the biggest contributor. When you get new nozzles you, and done professionally, you'll get an FE bump just because the nozzles are new (and tend to be superior to the originals).

I'm running DLC520s in all three of my Golfs, with Malone Stage 2 tunes. Injectors on two cars (our DDs) are set to stage 1 fueling, while the other one is set to stage 3 fueling (and has an 11mm IP; car also has a 6spd). This combo is very nice for my mainly highway travels/commuting. My car's lifetime average FE (3 1/2 years of ownership) is a bit over 50mpg; wife's car is just under 50mpg; spare Golf is well over 50mpg, but it doesn't get driven a lot.

Last edited:

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would do some PP357 or DLC520 nozzles on the 11mm. When you install them you are going to gain power, but might have a little smoke. If you do the tune that will go away though. If you go with malone you will want the stage 1.5 or 2 depending on your clutch.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I would do dlc1019's. With no tune, and upgrading to those, my first alh was a fun little car, with an excellent jump in power over stock.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I would do dlc1019's. With no tune, and upgrading to those, my first alh was a fun little car, with an excellent jump in power over stock.
DLC1019s are nice. I almost went with them. Anyway, yes, just up-sized nozzles can do a lot (though will need to bump up the IQ). I installed the DLC520s first just to see what it was like and it was a significant bump in power: had my car been like that to begin with I might not have even bothered with any tune (wouldn't have though it necessary). But, to REALLY take advantage of the fueling a tune IS what you want; of course, anything other than a mild tune will require a new clutch!

hugho

TDI
Thank you !

DLC1019s are nice. I almost went with them. Anyway, yes, just up-sized nozzles can do a lot (though will need to bump up the IQ). I installed the DLC520s first just to see what it was like and it was a significant bump in power: had my car been like that to begin with I might not have even bothered with any tune (wouldn't have though it necessary). But, to REALLY take advantage of the fueling a tune IS what you want; of course, anything other than a mild tune will require a new clutch!
Thank you all for your responses. You have given me several options. I may have missed something but can new nozzles(one or 2 up in size like OEM or MT nozzles or say 205 or 520 be used without a tune or will it smoke? The clutch is a dual mass clutch new 30K miles back when the AT was replaced with a MT 5 spd.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would use DLC706 (MT nozzles) or PP357 if you plan to run without a tune. If you plan to eventually get a tune the DLC520 will be ok. Anything larger will probably smoke a lot and may slip your clutch with all that fuel on the stock tune.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Dlc764's don't even slip my stock 285k clutch with no tune on my other 01. Not very smokey either. Neither were the 1019's.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The 1019s will not smoke excessively without tune on a stock ALH. You can get some haze behind the car if you hammer it, but it's certainly not "rolling coal." I've had them in my car for several years and like them.

hugho

TDI
Thank you for advice on nozzles

The 1019s will not smoke excessively without tune on a stock ALH. You can get some haze behind the car if you hammer it, but it's certainly not "rolling coal." I've had them in my car for several years and like them.
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have decided to get rid of the AT .138/158 injectors with 260K miles and do a Malone 1.5 from Cascade German. I will try out some low mile MT injectors(.184) which I have and see what happens since I already have them and have dismantled and cleaned and checked the nozzle orifices. I think going up to @ least .205's makes sense but the cost $150-200 + cost on injectors is a bit steep for our finances. If cold weather starting,power and economy don't improve then we will step up. Sounds like going to 205's will also require a Vag-com which I don't have and no local mechanics have so another $200. I have long believed that the enemy of good is "better". If this car wasn't a rust and dent free wagon I probably wouldn't pour any money into it but I believe in maintaining quality used vehicles rather than buying new because we are nearing the end of the automobile age and vehicles with sterling economy will become very valuable in the near future when oil becomes less available or more expensive. All those heavy suv's and pickups will be just sources of recycled iron.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I failed to notice earlier you have an 11mm pump; that does change things. Having .184 nozzles with an 11mm pump is very similar to having .205's with a 10mm pump. IIRC, Indigo Blue Wagon uses an 11mm pump and .184 nozzles and says great things about the combo. I am sure his tune is higher than Stage 2 and he still gets great FE. Keep us posted.

hugho

TDI
Follow up on nozzles

I failed to notice earlier you have an 11mm pump; that does change things. Having .184 nozzles with an 11mm pump is very similar to having .205's with a 10mm pump. IIRC, Indigo Blue Wagon uses an 11mm pump and .184 nozzles and says great things about the combo. I am sure his tune is higher than Stage 2 and he still gets great FE. Keep us posted.
Thank you. I lucked into a low mile injector set with MT(.184) nozzles. I soaked and cleaned them and checked nozzle spray patterns and all were fine, Looking forward to trying them out with my 1.5 tune when the box comes back.