ABS/wheel speed sensor fault

Redman84

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I’ve been trying to cure my ABS/ESP dash lights. The code is 00285 for the front right wheel saying 012 - electrical fault in circuit. I replaced the sensor and cleaned the tone ring with no luck. Someone had obviously jacked w the wiring prior to me getting to it. I cut out bad wire and spliced it back in as I’ve read about but am still getting no reading from that wheel. I’ve been unable to trace the wire to its home base to test for continuity. Any ideas?

One more side note: Is there supposed to be wiring for brake wear sensors at each wheel or just on the driver’s side?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The brake pad sensor is just on the LF.

All the wheel speed sensors go to the ABS module, near the brake booster down against the strut tower.

You can monitor wheel speed with a scan tool, but only up to a certain (slow) speed, then ABS data drops out... a safety feature I guess.

You can get to the ABS module plug, but you may want to remove the air cleaner and inlet tube first for better access.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I had the same problem with my Golf. The right front cable had chew marks, and my wire repair only lasted a few months. I ended up replacing the cable which snakes through the right side fire wall, under the plastic cowl to the left side where it exits through the curved plastic gutter. There the cable is taped with a bunch of fine wires, making it hard to find.

Redman84

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Thank you both very much. VCDS isn’t picking up any singal from that corner. I’ll go out in a bit and do some testing and report back in case it helps someone else later. Any chance you have the part number still for the wire?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI

Redman84

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Does anyone know how to remove pins from the abs harness at the module. I’ve accomplished pin removal on a number of connectors but can’t figure this one out. I have a whole new abs sensor harness and would LIKE to replace it all the way to the module.

Tombgun

TDI
Golf
I’ve been trying to cure my ABS/ESP dash lights. The code is 00285 for the front right wheel saying 012 - electrical fault in circuit. I replaced the sensor and cleaned the tone ring with no luck. Someone had obviously jacked w the wiring prior to me getting to it. I cut out bad wire and spliced it back in as I’ve read about but am still getting no reading from that wheel. I’ve been unable to trace the wire to its home base to test for continuity. Any ideas?

One more side note: Is there supposed to be wiring for brake wear sensors at each wheel or just on the driver’s side?
Hi, did you get it sorted? I’m having the exact problem here!