New vibration

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
This vibration can be felt in the seat while at idle, only. It runs good and with the normal noise above idle. It's like the whole body shakes. I've looked , but there is nothing apparently loose. The noise level is much higher than 1500 and above. Any ideas?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Obvious things are motor mount or broke exhaust. With engine cold, grab the muffler and shake it. Then up on ramps, then up to the highest your jack stands can go so you can see under there.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Sometimes motor mount doesn't translate to dog bone, so check out the dog bone as well.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
vibration

I just had the belly pan off and while the engine was running the dogbone mount was all tight. Actually. I was wondering about the mount attachment to the frame,[where bolts are rusted] but it was solid. My belly pan is of questionable solidity where it attaches to the side panels. The damn clip on nuts are rusted, so I have added other screws. I hate taking it off.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My belly pan is of questionable solidity where it attaches to the side panels. The damn clip on nuts are rusted, so I have added other screws. I hate taking it off.
The clips and torque head screws are available at local parts stores.
I've replaced many of mine.
Have to make a few tin strips to add where some of the large pan holes self destructed.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just had the belly pan off and while the engine was running the dogbone mount was all tight. Actually. I was wondering about the mount attachment to the frame,[where bolts are rusted] but it was solid. My belly pan is of questionable solidity where it attaches to the side panels. The damn clip on nuts are rusted, so I have added other screws. I hate taking it off.
Vibrations are transmitted. That the dogbone is tight might not remove it from consideration. I speak in regards to folks who have put on poly (or other hard) dogbone mounts and ended up removing them because of the vibrations that were transmitted through them. I suppose, however, no one likely snuck under your car and replaced the dogbone with a stiffer one;)

Skirts/pans can make noise but I don't think they have enough mass to transmit like you seem to be suggesting.

Anything in the belt paths (mainly serpentine belt) that might be experiencing a bit of resistance?

And, I've got to ask, manual (DMF)?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What UhOh said, IF its a failing DMF that can shake things up.
And if OP has a DMF and the noise occurs at idle then I'd be sticking a stethoscope to the bellhousing to check if that's where the noise is coming from. (using, of course, all necessary safety precautions!)