Sticky turbo actuator?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I've read a lot about sticky vanes and vacuum leaks and bad turbo actuators and because of how bad my MPGs have become and how I can't feel comfortable going out of town in this car because of having to go up a hefty hill without a fully operational turbo, I feel like I might have to drop the turbo and clean it out (SO EXCITED!:rolleyes:) . But before I do that, I need your expertise and trained eye.

This short video shows the actuator before turning engine on and during acceleration. I noticed it getting stuck but since I'm not a pro, I trust that you guys will be able to give me some feedback! Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9YH69Yq19o&feature=youtu.be

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I would disconnect the end of the rod from the turbo. (Remove the C-clip to remove it) When re-installing the C-clip I would tie a string to the clip so you don't lose it. Once you do that then move the turbo actuator by hand and see it moves easily like 3/4". If it doesn't move easily then your turbo is coked up.

You should also disconnect the vacuum line from the N75 valve and test the actuator with the engine off. At 2" to 5" of vacuum it should start moving and at 18" of vacuum it should stop moving.

I just went through a similar thing and it ended up that my turbo actuator was not adjusted correctly. Once I fixed that then the car ran great. :)

Good luck!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The Actuator rod is suppose to pull the Arm all the way down solid against the set-screw at start-up and hold it there during engine idle.

I've observed this with the ALH engine in my Vanagon. My Turbo works great, engine performs flawlessly. It is very easy to slide under the Van and observe the Actuator at engine start-up and watch it as it idles.

In the Video, I do see the Actuator rod pull the arm down to what appears to be the set screw. Also, there is no way to tell if the Actuator rod is fully extending up in the other direction (before the engine was started). And, unless you had a camera mounted, I don't believe you were accelerating .... just revving the engine without load. When there is no load, revving the engine will result in virtually zero boost (maybe 2 psi). If you had a Boost gauge you'd be surprised what revving doesn't do. So, how it reacts to revving vs accelerating under load, I have no clue. But, yes it does appear to "hang" for a split second, but that was during revving down (decelerating).

I agree, you should check for vacuum leaks.

You can use a flat blade screw driver (or other means) to pry the Actuator rod/arm down (engine not running) to the set screw (don't force it). Also, try to push it farther up. You should be able to tell if there are any sticky spots across the range.

Lastly, is there a DTC (is the Check Engine Light on)? If so, what is the code(s)?

Last edited:

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Thank you both for your input. mrfiat, I managed to remove actuactor and check the vanes manually. I made an adjustment to the rod because it seemed like it was hitting the stopper waaay too soon...at about 15”. (am I thinking straight here?)

Here is the video of of the manual check of the vanes with actuator off:

https://youtu.be/UKWqYvC3gjA

AndyBees, I understand the revving vs load difference. I will check that later. However the video above might give some more feedback as to the state of the vanes inside. I do feel them getting hung up. And no, I have no codes at all...at least no Check Engine light on. I do not have VCDS to check computer.
At least I know I’m on the right track.

Last edited:

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Looks like the vane is getting hung up a little bit (maybe try chemical clean?). Mine felt like it wasn't connected to anything. Initially, I thought that was a problem but after searching more, I saw a lot of comments saying it should feel like it's not connected to anything and should move freely from 1 end to the other.

The play from the bottom corner of the lever to the top should be about half an inch. Watch the video below and keep us updated!

https://youtu.be/WRxAdB3XNJU

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I saw a lot of comments saying it should feel like it's not connected to anything and should move freely from 1 end to the other.
That's what I have read as well, and yeah, it does feel like it gets hung up. will have to drop the turbo and just do a cleaning on it...oh boy!