auto - 5 speed swap vagcom question

ajoncar

TDI
2000 jetta tdi, 2003 jetta tdi wagon
Hey Im just getting started on this this swap was wondering, once the job is finished, will the car run and drive and just throw cels with out the cpu adjustments...

VCDS settings.
Use vag-com and turn the key on. Go to 01-Engine and change the soft coding from
0001 to 0002. Keyswitch to the off position immediately after. Clear all the fault codes,
after running the engine, no faults should return.

or will this thing not be driveable until those are done? Just trying to figure if ill need a tow to my mechanic, or if ill be able to drive it there to get the vagcom work?

ajoncar

TDI
Well I have the motor/ tranny out. Going to get into this over the next week, 02j in for the auto with a new clutch, as well as a timing belt service and adressing some misc leaks hear and there. I also noticed today that my motor mounts are totally shot and will need replacement. Any way, does any one know about weather or not this thing will be drivable or immobilized without the cpu work being done to switch it from auto to manual?

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
My 2004 PD worked fine. It starts after the wiring changes for the PNP were done, and speedo and cruise work fine after adding the speedo harness and moving some wires around.
The earlier cars have a different ECU than mine, (I think, I have a EDC16 instead of an EDC15) but nothing should keep the car from running.

What car is the patient? Is it one of the ones in your sig?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
f you have the motor out, I would clean the intake, egr and intake ports. So much less work than doing it in the car.

ajoncar

TDI
the car is my 2003 mk4tdi wagon.
Im glad to hear that it should run and drive w/o the vagcom adjustments.

I have the motor out, just took off intake and its super clean, but i kinda expected that as it has a kerma tune with egr delete that was already in when i bought it last year.

today im going to tackle the wiring for the 5 speed swap with the help of the boertje swap pdf. Also im going to try and figure where all the oil on the back of the engine is coming from. Seems like exhaust mani area or the valve cover gasket.

Tomorrow i hope to seperate the engine/tranny and inspect/replace the rms. Then install new clutch and bolt up the 5speed! Ill post some pics of my progress soon.

thanks for the help!