Mk4 jetta tdi engine swap/xfer questions. links, guides, resources?

FlanMaster

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI manual mod, 2003 Jetta TDI Manual
Hello all. first. I have searched and Googled and am finding only threads/pages about custom swaps.

I have 2 mk4 jettas, both with broken timing belts while driving. one had an auto-swap before the break and has sat for over a year with the head removed (pistons chambers exposed but hood down)

the other has just sat for over a year as a potential parts car.

I am thinking it would probably be simpler just to pull both engines, remove the head from the engine out of the parts car and, if necessary, send it to Missouri for rework, put it back on the engine after checking all the pistons and rods, and reprogramming the computer. I have the cable and computer program for reconfiguring the ecu.

I'm looking for an idiot's guide to swapping tdi engines, but like I mentioned earlier, I'm not finding any obvious winners.

does anyone know of a good guide, references, etc.? or would it end up being cost prohibitive?

Thanks in advance for all kind and sincere replies.

Last edited:

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
Search "ALH cylinder heads" at Hans Auto Parts. For the price of a new head you can hardly swap engines. Since you already have the head off your almost half done if the pistons are ok.

FlanMaster

TDI
but with it sitting for over a year wouldn't the cylinders hace too much rust?

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Before buying from that place in North Carolina, search for "Prothe" here. Then decide if you want to get any of his engine destroying junk.

FlanMaster

TDI
searching that term brings up a ton of threads. what specifically am I looking for?

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I bought a complete head from him once. I didn't have any problems but after reading a few of the posts from a Prothe search on here I'm not interested.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Hello all. first. I have searched and Googled and am finding only threads/pages about custom swaps.
I have 2 mk4 jettas, both with broken timing belts while driving. one had an auto-swap before the break and has sat for over a year with the head removed (pistons chambers exposed but hood down)
the other has just sat for over a year as a potential parts car.
I am thinking it would probably be simpler just to pull both engines, remove the head from the engine out of the parts car and, if necessary, send it to Missouri for rework, put it back on the engine after checking all the pistons and rods, and reprogramming the computer. I have the cable and computer program for reconfiguring the ecu.
I'm looking for an idiot's guide to swapping tdi engines, but like I mentioned earlier, I'm not finding any obvious winners.
does anyone know of a good guide, references, etc.? or would it end up being cost prohibitive?
Thanks in advance for all kind and sincere replies.
Assuming you mean Franko6's shop in Missouri, that would be my choice.
The only guide you really should have is a Bentley manual but they're not cheap.
Best bet is to find one for sale used in the classifieds here. I like the paper version.
No need for any reprogramming, either, unless it was never done with the swap.

Last edited:

FlanMaster

TDI
respectfully I have to disagree with you on the Bentley. it's good but it didn't get me through my auto swaps. and if I could decipher the Bentley well enough to swap engines I wouldn't need an idiots guide ;)

but yes, I'm talking Franko6. thinking maybe I should buff the cylinders out and check the rings and possibly just send the already pulled head to Missouri.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I am not sure why you would need a guide to swap an engine. There is going to be some discovery, but just keep your hardware straight, document what you do and go nuts.