03 wagon - cluster needles won't light up

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The first time I drove my new-to-me 03 wagon at night I noticed that the temp and fuel level needles are not illuminated. Everything else on the cluster works fine. I searched here and general googling for cluster light problems but really only found a how-to on upgrading to custom LEDs. That thread will get me into the cluster, but has no information on stock replacement / repair. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2898256 There are 176 pages to the thread that I did not read through.

I assume that those two needles share one LED or bulb? Any one have replacement part info so I don't have to pull the cluster first to find out?

FYI - my climate control light is out and the cigarette lighter doesn't work but I am also making an assumption that they are separate issues (since every other light works on the cluster). I have the replacement bulb that goes behind the fan switch knob somewhere in the shop and didn't get a change to check the fuse to the lighter (yesterday was the first I noticed it didn't work)

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The first time I drove my new-to-me 03 wagon at night I noticed that the temp and fuel level needles are not illuminated. Everything else on the cluster works fine. I searched here and general googling for cluster light problems but really only found a how-to on upgrading to custom LEDs. That thread will get me into the cluster, but has no information on stock replacement / repair. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2898256 There are 176 pages to the thread that I did not read through.

I assume that those two needles share one LED or bulb? Any one have replacement part info so I don't have to pull the cluster first to find out?

FYI - my climate control light is out and the cigarette lighter doesn't work but I am also making an assumption that they are separate issues (since every other light works on the cluster). I have the replacement bulb that goes behind the fan switch knob somewhere in the shop and didn't get a change to check the fuse to the lighter (yesterday was the first I noticed it didn't work)

Check PMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I just ordered a package of Silvania 2721's for the climate control light myself.

Installation looks to be a fun exercise, I have a small pair of needlenose that I can outfit with grippy tape to insert the bulb with I think.

Is that what you two are PMing about?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just ordered a package of Silvania 2721's for the climate control light myself.

Installation looks to be a fun exercise, I have a small pair of needlenose that I can outfit with grippy tape to insert the bulb with I think.

Is that what you two are PMing about?
The climate control light is easy with a small section of tubing or tiny needle nose. I just need to find where I put the new bulbs! I built a new garage and have been moving everything. Just not exactly where I can find it though :) otherwise I’ll just go grab more of those bulbs. Thanks for the reminder on the part number.

We were discussing the repair of the cluster. Super1 gave me the contact info for a forum memeber that repairs them. I can do the work myself, I just want to know what parts to have before I take the car apart.

Thanks!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like it's a surface mount LED in there. Don't' think it's worth sending for repair. I'll leave it as a 'wish list' item down the road. I'm sure I can replace a SMD LED with the equipment I have on hand.

I pulled the climate control bulb out of my parts Beetle since I can't find the new ones I bought :) Oh - the cigarette lighter does work - my phone case interferes with this one individual dock.