Mexican VW radio

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Some discussion:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5389146

For the price I'd go with something more up-to-date. I opted for a JVC that has Android Auto (I made a custom docking station for it).
Well that price is in Australian $, so it's a little gentler. I want the OEM look/feel, but unfortunately items like the RMT don't work with our wheels controls. The generally available aftermarket radios all feel cheap to me - loose fitting buttons, brittle/acrylic feeling construction, few (if any) have both volume and tuning knobs, unless I step up to some that is even more expensive.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
............................. I want the OEM look/feel, but unfortunately items like the RMT don't work with our wheels controls. The generally available aftermarket radios all feel cheap to me - loose fitting buttons, brittle/acrylic feeling construction, few (if any) have both volume and tuning knobs, unless I step up to some that is even more expensive.
This is exactly what I thought when my plain jane radio in the old Jetta went out. I was unable to find anything OEM even remotely affordable. Ended up with $40 crap from Crutchfield(?), complete with harness, added feature of PC style memory devices to plat MP3s. I was happy.
I will say there is a lot to choose from in aftermarket, OEM generally has 3 or 4 options at most.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
This is exactly what I thought when my plain jane radio in the old Jetta went out. I was unable to find anything OEM even remotely affordable. Ended up with $40 crap from Crutchfield(?), complete with harness, added feature of PC style memory devices to plat MP3s. I was happy.
I will say there is a lot to choose from in aftermarket, OEM generally has 3 or 4 options at most.
Once they started using CANBUS, that was it. You can't find any new oem type without the tech. You would think they'd make an option to work without it for more sales.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Update:

I can confirm that the radio is a direct fit and the steering wheel controls work! I am very pleased. RDS works too. Haven't fully gone through it yet to see about the rest of the features

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Can it work with the trunk-mounted changer (or PhatBox, which uses the changer interface)?
Doesn't look like it. I tried but no connection to my jukebox. The radio does have a single internal CD, it can play MP3s from an SD card, stream from Bluetooth, and I think there's also an aux port in the back (but I don't recall now).

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
With the advent of bluetooth and aux ports people will connect their digital music from a device instead of a phatbox or disc changer. That is so early 2000s. :D

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
With the advent of bluetooth and aux ports people will connect their digital music from a device instead of a phatbox or disc changer. That is so early 2000s. :D
That's my point. Get a cheap used phone with Bluetooth for dedicated car use, and it can replace 5 CD changers

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
for some reason im not able to find an adapter install kit to go from double din to single din. non monsoon radio.