Headlights suck on my wagon

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I just put my wagon on the road, and I noticed that the headlights are not very bright.
The drivers side bulb is not positioned behind the silver reflector, it is askew. This probably adds to the non-effectiveness of the headlight.

Anyway, I see a lot of choices for replacement. I am sure alot of them are garbage.

What is the defacto choice for an OEM style, and what is considered a decent upgrade?

Thanks to all. I appreciate the help here.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is why so many of us put e-code headlights on our cars. The A4 Jetta DOT lights are probably THE worst of any of them. No way I could drive one.

Last set I got from www.ecstuning.com and were Hella brand, fit perfectly. Plug 'n play.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good e-codes for the MKIV Jetta are now hard to find. My e-codes finally fell apart a couple years ago and after extensive searching I ended up with some of last Hella DOT lights available. They're not great, but I'm not big on lighting. I do notice how much better the DOT lights are on my Golf. At any rate, good luck shopping for these. Be careful as there's a lot of junk out there.
If you want really bad lights, drive an 80s or early 90s Mercedes. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's great. I didn't find them when I was looking. Are they Hella boxed?

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
Those look like mighty fine lights, oilhammer.

I have an orange turn signal lens on my car, so I need to change bulbs with the e-code unit from ECS?

I have to say that the Midwest Lighting site is frustrating. I looked at a set of headlights for the mk4, but I have to go find the required ballasts and other bulbs elsewhere on the site. How about list them on that product page? Or a link?

Sheesh.

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
We have these available too. $430 shipped at current exchange. These are the hellas with fogs. Without fogs these are $375 shipped.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The REAL Hella European ones are good -- and expensive. I have a set on my Jetta.

The knock-offs, no matter who's they are, stink and that's being polite.

The additional "good" is that (with a bit of work to wire them and the euro switch) you also get fogs with the European Hella ones, which IMHO are worth having as well.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Honestly, I replaced mine with Chinese crap and they are a major improvement over the hazed oem that came with the car.
Not bad for $100.00
Maybe when I am a bit better off I will go with the Hella

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
This is why so many of us put e-code headlights on our cars. The A4 Jetta DOT lights are probably THE worst of any of them. No way I could drive one.
Last set I got from www.ecstuning.com and were Hella brand, fit perfectly. Plug 'n play.
+1000!!! I brought some genuine Hella e-codes back from Holland during business travel in 2002 just after I took delivery. Turned the worst headlights I’ve ever experienced into some of the best. Added fogs and the euro switch too.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I put HIDs in the daughter's wagon. This is (was?) a vendor on this site:

http://www.midwestlight.biz/untitled

With fogs. Great light output (though I am not a big fan of HIDs as their cutoffs are pretty stark).

I have ecodes in one of my Golfs, and while the fogs are nice I don't really like the pattern. My cars with Osram Rallye bulbs (dipped and high beams = FOUR bulbs) are, IMO, better. BUT, these are Golfs, whose headlights are miles better stock than stockers on Jettas.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
The REAL Hella European ones are good -- and expensive. I have a set on my Jetta.

The knock-offs, no matter who's they are, stink and that's being polite.

The additional "good" is that (with a bit of work to wire them and the euro switch) you also get fogs with the European Hella ones, which IMHO are worth having as well.
This is the route I am going to take.

I see that the OEM switch is spendy. Is it worth getting OEM, or are the aftermarket ones good enough? There is a 100 dollar delta between the two switches.

oilhammer

TDI
There was a rash of REALLY junk aftermarket switches a couple years back. Not sure if they are still out there and available, but just beware some were really, really bad. The backlight was not exactly the same color or intensity as the other lights in the car, and in some cases they got hot and melted after a while.

All mine have genuine Volkswagen switches in them that were sourced from reputable places, and they look and work perfectly. I'd buck up for a good one.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I have the OE switch. IMHO this is one of those things that "not working" can be a deadly problem (e.g. 100 miles from home at 2 AM!) so.... yeah, no Chineesium garbage there.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
OK, OEM switch it is. I guess headlights are kind of important.

I will start saving my pennies.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Midwest Lighting also sells e-codes as does dark side I believe. I put midwest’s e-codes on Donna’s car and they work pretty well. I chose glass lenses. They have been on for awhile, but I noticed the right side adjuster became attached. Could have been a pothole, with our roads I certainly wouldn’t discount that. Had some Chinese lights on donor car that the beams would drop out of sight when the high beams were used. I know how you feel about these lights. I am going to mount lights and buckets from an ‘85 k5 Blazer on the steel bumper of my Jetta, I don’t care what it looks likes. The driver headlight shell will be my cold air intake. Going to make use of my siding trim tools and build an aluminum air snorkle

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
OK, I just pulled the trigger on the Hella E-Codes from ECS.

Question: Who gets the motors and control circuitry for the in-cabin adjustment option?

oilhammer

TDI
I do not have that on my Golf. I think it would be worth while if you regularly loaded the rear end of the car down, heavy trailer tongue load, or something that would cause the lights to shine in oncoming traffic's eyes. I wish they'd offer that on all these stupid trucks that people drive.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
Mine is a wagon, so I think I will install this option.

I am such a gadget freak.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You'd need leveling motors for each light, wiring, and a new rheostat for the dash that controls headlight position as well as interior illumination. Not sure if the rheostats are still available. ECS shows them, but whether or not they can get them is another question.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
You'd need leveling motors for each light, wiring, and a new rheostat for the dash that controls headlight position as well as interior illumination. Not sure if the rheostats are still available. ECS shows them, but whether or not they can get them is another question.
ECS has a kit with the switch, motors and harness.

Spendy, but I just dropped over 600 bucks for the E-Code cans and bulbs to put in them, so why not put off retirement for a few more weeks?

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
ECS does have the complete motor kit but no instructions on how to wire them.

Anyone have a DYI on motor install and wiring?

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
Well, I love being the guinea pig. I will get the kit on order and see what is up.

I am pretty good with wiring.