What did you do to your MKIV today?

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW

Getting the crayon smell out and sound deadening while I'm at it. Also scrubbed off that crappy soft touch.

Enjoying a cold one before I start assembling it

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
My 03 Wagon has started to act up in the past few weeks with my alarm randomly going off. Thinking it's my front door mechanisms like my girlfriends car...my car seems to be having an issue with the rear trunk locking mechanism as a few days ago my trunk wouldn't close at all (alarm wouldn't arm)

Today I took it out and looked at the connector. It's a 3 wire connector. Some slight corrosion on the male and female pins.

Took some die electric grease and dabbed some in there, hope it will fix my random alarm issues.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Blocked the rad with coroplast today, now she's ready for the cold winter days that are sure to come. :(

I reviewed a "HOW TO:" that I made over a year ago just to be sure I remembered how simple it was... and it really was that easy.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428973

The toughest part of the job was locating the coroplast that I stored in the garage last spring... at the time I probably said "oh yeah, I'll definitely remember that it's here, this is obviously THE best spot to keep it in".

Oh well, 15 minutes to find it and 5 minutes to install.

Also updated my Fuel tracking spreadsheet with 2015 year end numbers.
Info found here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4973334&postcount=203

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
My 03 Wagon has started to act up in the past few weeks with my alarm randomly going off. Thinking it's my front door mechanisms like my girlfriends car...my car seems to be having an issue with the rear trunk locking mechanism as a few days ago my trunk wouldn't close at all (alarm wouldn't arm)

Today I took it out and looked at the connector. It's a 3 wire connector. Some slight corrosion on the male and female pins.

Took some die electric grease and dabbed some in there, hope it will fix my random alarm issues.
I just fixed a somewhat similar issue with my '01 today. The fix was....pushing my radio all the way in! It moved maybe 2mm back in. My symptoms were, no honk when locking the car, and twice in the last week the alarm has gone off once at 1am and again at 10am a couple days later. All door switches, and trunk/hood switches were operable so this was really bugging me. I finally searched a bit more, and came across a thread relating to the radio not being fully seated. Very happy this is working normal again!

Drunken_Unicorn

TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
I finally broke down and got "W" the Malone 1.5 tune and a flashzilla programmer/installer....thingy. Quite the expensive piece/upgrade, but I'm excited to see how it works out forr me.

Go me!

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
replaced drivers seat from an 01 Beetle. no lumbar but tilts forward to access rear seat without opening rear door. feels as firm as brand new.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
First post here. From NS, Canada. I see a few other folks are from here as well. I bought my 01 Jetta about a month ago and have been tinkering with it since.... trying to get the turbo working right. I bought it knowing it had p0234. I have done a lot of reading here and other sites for troubleshooting info.

What did I do to my MK4 today? Checking vacuum lines... looking for the check valves that are a common problem.

cheers...

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Funny you should mention Roseland. I spent a good hour today pasting part numbers into a text file for a quick wish list of things I'm going to buy or at least compare prices.

His price on a vnt actuator (alh) that isn't a chinese knockoff is excellent, compared to other prices I've seen locally. Some people are selling used for his new price. I will support Roseland for sure.

This was yesterday but still can be considered what I did today because it was 5:50 am this morning when I finally got the clip on the arm.
Seized-

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
His price on a vnt actuator (alh) that isn't a chinese knockoff is excellent, compared to other prices I've seen locally. Some people are selling used for his new price. I will support Roseland for sure.
Excellent, they're a great bunch.

I bought an VNT actuator from Roseland recently as well. I cleaned up a used turbo for my Beetle and it too had a seized actuator...actually, there was a rust hole in the side of it...and it still held vacuum, but the shaft was all rusted to snot and would barely move.

Good luck with your repairs! Everything is very well documented on here, so you can find just about any info you need. Once you get all of the usual suspects fixed up, everything should work pretty good for you.

Rem

pl4life52

TDI
2002 Golf ALH
Awesome, glad I saw this now and didnt have to look through 80+ pages like the other threads lol.

Going to try and finish up my head liner today, main part is done just have to do the door for the sunroof motor and the door that covers the window.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
The emergency brakes have never worked since I owned this car.... just over a month. From outside, underneath, everything is there and the back brakes work fine so I knew it wasn't going to overly costly. Finally got around to looking inside the console and found that neither cable was connected to the compensator.

Emergency brake works now. Nice to have in a manual transmission car. :eek:

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
In an old thread here from 2012, I found reference to someone using BWD EC601 to replace the black and white check valve that comes off the N75. The price they quoted isn't valid any more but it's still less than a third of the OEM part. (canadian readers: napa was more expensive than carquest by 2$)

Anyway, I used this check valve today along with some new vacuum lines in the same area. It works fine despite being smaller. My cel for p0234 didn't come on for 125Km (highway) today after changing it out so I'm on the right trail to find the issue.... going to replace more lines as I can. Usually the light comes on fairly soon after hitting the highway.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
First post here. From NS, Canada. I see a few other folks are from here as well.
All your Canadian neighbors are down visiting me in Florida right now...;) In the summer, we're practically neighbors. My wife and I have a "summer farm" that is less than 100km on the USA side of the I-95/CA-95 border crossing into NB. We keep meaning to road trip into Canada to check out your backyard. I hear NS, NB, and PEI are all beautiful. :) You can keep the snow though, it'll be ~83°F(28°C) in my driveway tomorrow.

On to the MkIV details:
Yesterday: opened box from UK eBay containing one used 038-121-133A coolant flange. Scrubbed and cleaned it up (to replace the flange I broke trying to extract a broken plastic clip after the temp sensor O-ring swelled from diesel contact). Opened box from 1stVWParts containing coolant flange seals, and tandem pump seal (maybe I can stop that dribble of diesel without a new tandem pump??).

Today: Bought 5L of TDI oil, 1 gallon of G12 from local dealer. Ordered thermostat and thermostat housing from 1stVW to swap that out next week, since I've never replaced it, and the car is coming up on 200k miles. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow's plans: drain coolant, remove broken flange, remove tandem pump, replace tandem pump/head seal, install new green temp sensor in flange, install replacement flange, replace coolant, change the engine oil and filter, swap the cabin air filter, and then go try out the OEM lumbar upgrade seat swap seats I finished swapping last weekend. (Thanks Tongsli)

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
My wife and I have a "summer farm" that is less than 100km on the USA side of the I-95/CA-95 border crossing into NB. We keep meaning to road trip into Canada to check out your backyard. I hear NS, NB, and PEI are all beautiful. :) You can keep the snow though, it'll be ~83°F(28°C) in my driveway tomorrow.
Can you see Mt. Katahdin from your summer farm? My wife and I have stayed in Millinocket a couples times when we hiked Mt. Katahdin and toured around Baxter State Park a bit. The view from the top on a clear day is absolutely amazing. Not sure my knees could handle the descent these days.

If you wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of a big city, northeastern Maine would be a good place to do it. Nothing to bother you but Mosquitos and Moose...lol.

I listened to a Podcast not all that long ago about how Millinocket has been struggling to "remake" itself since the mill closed. I bet there are some deals on houses there these days.

The Canadian Atlantic provinces are very nice, yes...I'm in NS, a good 300 miles southeast of the I-95 border crossing at Houlton, ME. The winter has been very easy here so far this year.

As for the Mk4 stuff...I installed new rear mounts in my Beetle subframe this morning, then installed a new steering rack, swaybar with new bushings, and raised the whole works up at attached to the bottom of the car.

That was it for today! Tomorrow it'll be control arms, wheels, home alignment, and then on to PS lines, radiator, front clip, etc, etc, etc...lol.

Rem

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Plans: drain coolant, remove broken flange, remove tandem pump, replace tandem pump/head seal, install new green temp sensor in flange, install replacement flange, replace coolant, change the engine oil and filter, swap the cabin air filter, and then go try out the OEM lumbar upgrade seat swap seats I finished swapping last weekend.
Coolant drain: did they have to hide it behind the side skirts without giving us an easy access opening?

Remove broken flange: apparently, that flange has been weeping coolant for months/years. The O-ring seal to the head was crusty corroded like it wasn't sealing properly for quite some time.

Remove tandem pump: Trying to be meticulous about not getting any dirt in the openings or the seal was fun. Wash the engine bay before you do this next time! Thank you to the guys who posted the torque specs in a thread. My MkIV Bentley doesn't cover PD engines.

Install new temp sensor: silicone grease on the O-ring and the sensor with it's O-ring just pops right in.

Install replacement flange: cleaned the head contact area as best I could with a razor blade. Used silicone grease on the new O-ring. Torqued bolts after coating them with antiseize. (because I've owned other VW heads where those M6x1 steel bolts have broken off).

Replace coolant: (Here's where the yesterday's plan falls apart.:mad:) You know that fuel leak on the tandem pump, several of the coolant hoses connecting to the coolant flange below the tandem pump on the head were swelling and starting to split from exposure to #2 diesel. I cut several of the hoses back to good material, and ordered some non-OEM hoses to replace the upper radiator hose and the oil cooler hoses, as those seemed to be in the worst condition. While replacing the seal behind the tandem pump, more #2 diesel spills out onto those hoses. In the end, I simply cut my old drained coolant with more distilled water to replace what was lost when I tried (unsuccessfully) to replace the black temp sensor with the new green one, without draining any coolant and taking all this stuff loose. After I determine whether the new seal fixes my tandem pump, or the tandem pump is still leaking, then I will either order a new tandem pump and do this all over again, plus replace hoses, or if the new tandem pump seal was all I needed, then I'll just drain the coolant and replace several hoses some day.

Engine oil change & cabin filter: never got to this part of the fun... There's always tomorrow. :eek:

...Northeastern Maine, nothing to bother you but Mosquitos and Moose...
Ha! I'm used to skeeters, had a collection of Asian Tiger Mosquitos in my driveway today. Need to fire up one of my Mosquito Magnets for a week or two and kill them off. This "dry season" (winter) in South Florida has been unusually warm and wet.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
Fixed limp mode

I replaced all the vacum hoses with one size of tubing, the smaller size. After I did this the turbo actuator stopped working and car was in limo mode and cel for negative pressure deviation.
It turned out that when I put the original pipe back on the actuator worked again so I shall have to order some of the larger diameter pipe, I thinknits 4mm

pl4life52

TDI
2002 Golf ALH
Helped out a friend swap parts from a 2.0 to 1.8t
Swapped headlights, swapped CAI, Put in a new antifreeze reservoir bottle. New radio

I put new steelies on my car from stock alloys. Put in new vacuum hoses, jeez what a difference in the pedal now. Best 5 bucks I spent lol. Gave her a scrub down as well.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Installed my new-to-me nicktane tdi filter head with a CAT 1R-0750 filter on my 03 wagen. The housing that holds the filter leaves a bit to be desired but meh, it does the job.

Did a diesel purge on our 04 BEW and installed my 1000km old fuel filter into it. Tomorrow doing an oil change, swapping on winter tires and installing mudflaps.

Rot Box

TDI
2002 Jetta
Long story short: I found this. Why would somebody splice into this wire on the MAF sensor?

So what did I do to my MKIV today? I repaired this wire the correct way.. you know.. without using a butt connector :rolleyes: haha

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Is there a DIY for replacing that vacuum line to the brake booster and the brittle parts attached to it?

------

This evening, swapped this out for a new one. Haven't test driven it yet.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Is there a DIY for replacing that vacuum line to the brake booster and the brittle parts attached to it?
That vacuum line between the vac pump and booster very often cracks. The plastic upside down "V" tube...it cracks on either end, or in the middle, or both. On the two 03 TDI's I've purchased, this vacuum line was wrapped in black tape to hide the cracks;).

Removing it is simple...remove the clamp on the rubber end on the vac pump nipple, or pull the other end out of the booster housing. This line is about $50 bucks new.

Also check the nipple on the vacuum pump...they get loose after a while and leak. If yours is loose, it's not supposed to be;). There's a few threads around on how to tighten it up.