What did you do to your MKIV today?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
This weekend I did the following:

-Diesel Purge on my mk4 wagon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feO5H62Ja3A)
-Fuel Filter change
-Oil change
-Install replacement driver's side engine cover (part of belly pan)
-Installed winter tires
-Installed my refurbished OEM headlights with GE Nighthawk bulbs

I did discover that my passenger front wheel has side to side play and up and down...everything was night and tight when I re-did my wheel bearings (removed the spindle) and got an alignment afterwards.

Seems I'll need to mend that and get another alignment again :mad:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Make sure the bolt is tight mrrhunter, theres a hand full of threads that talk about using an impact gun or re-torqueing this bolt after initial drive. If its been loose its probably going to need to be changed again though.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure the bolt is tight mrrhunter, theres a hand full of threads that talk about using an impact gun or re-torqueing this bolt after initial drive. If its been loose its probably going to need to be changed again though.

I will give that a check, thanks Steve

vlodster

TDI
Jetta, '04, BEW
Ordered parts (shipping to Alaska)
New Tandem Fuel Pump to replace leaker: $290
Tandem Pump Bolts: $8.60
Triple square bits for Fuel Pump R&R: $41.50 (shipping is a $%^&)
another Coolant Sensor (My coolant heater fried first night I plugged in)$11
Alternator Pulley: $80

Adjusted new headlights (stock where way hazy)

2004 Jetta BEW manual 156,000
Rotella T6 5W-40

Repairs I've done myself so far:
Fuel Tank Lift Pump
Timing Belt @100,000 miles
Alternator wiring harness and battery fuse box module
New Thermostat
New Coolant Sensor
New Headlights
New Shocks and struts
New Passenger side outer tie-rod

lanorg

TDI
ALH, 11mm, vnt17, 1019, Jeep TJ @ 285km
That youtube video on the diesel purge...... was automatic transmission fluid put in the fuel filter?

That freaked me out.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
That youtube video on the diesel purge...... was automatic transmission fluid put in the fuel filter?

That freaked me out.

What makes you think that? There is no image of auto transmission fluid anywhere in sight?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Swept snow off mine:D

Oh, the other day I "repaired" a rear brake light on the wife's Golf. After determining that I didn't have a new spare bulb I pulled one out of my car so that she could get off to work. I then discovered that her bulb was fine! Seemed that the socket wasn't holding the bulb tight enough and it lost contact- compressed it a bit, pulled up the power contact, and all is back to relative peace (cars aren't asking much of me, and I'm appreciating it!).

laika99

TDI
2001 TDI Jetta Sedan (ALH) + 2006 TDI Jetta Wagon (mk4 BEW)

454k30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Vacuum Lines!

Not today, but within the last few days, I changed out every vacuum line under the hood. It wasn't as tough as I had feared. I purchased six feet of 3mm hose, 3 feet of 5mm hose, and another 3 feet of 3mm fuel line (for the injector return lines). I took each section of house out one at a time, cut the new hose to that length, and then reinstalled the new hose. I ended up with about 6 inches of left over hose for each type. I actually cut the lines 1/4 to 1 inch longer than the originals and still had leftovers. I read about the job here on the forum several times before attempting this. Most people said the turbo was the hardest part. I disagree. If you want to do this work just drop your skid plate and the thing is right there. It could not be easier. The toughest part (the part I broke :() was the nipple on the anti-shudder valve. The new hose is run to that valve and I'm waiting on the new part to arrive. Until then the car shudders a bit on shutdown, but it's not too bad.

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
finished timing job on the 03, 544,000 kms. Good to 700,000 hopefully now ehhh?
Of course! They show up here on Kijiji every once in a while with 700+ on them. A local GM dealer had a 2000 for sale last year with 768,000 kms on it...and they still wanted $4000 bucks for it...lol.

Seems the rust gets 'em before the mileage most of the time. My 2000 Beetle only has 208,000 kms on it, but it's so rusty it should have gone to the junk yard a couple years ago.:D

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
Installed a new cv axle on passenger side due to torn boot. First time doing this so it took me the whole day (with some stress breaks!). Got alignment done and then went on a 3500 mile trip and road fine.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Installed a new cv axle on passenger side due to torn boot. First time doing this so it took me the whole day (with some stress breaks!). Got alignment done and then went on a 3500 mile trip and road fine.
Gotta ask, were your old joints worn out?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I replaced front brakes yesterday, noticed my entire pad was warn out when removing the passenger side wheel for timing belt, first time the front rotors have been replaced since the car left the factory... 544,000 kms on them, not too shabby. should get about 1/5th that on the cheap Chinese ones i put on =)

giff

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Ventectomy today. Bought the car a few months ago, got the turbo working and the intake and egr cleaned out, drained intercooler. Need to do timing belt etc before it goes on the road. The TDI is gonna replace my beloved B5 Passat, 23 mpg just does not cut it. Im looking forward to 45-50 with the TDI. Just dont want to rush things, I want it to be ready for the road when its time. Need to do shocks all the way around too. Its got the originals with 238,000 on the odometer.

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2001 Golf in pieces
Oh man, how did I miss this thread?

Over the last week, but hey first post in this one.

Winter tires, new cabin air filter, new wiper blades, and, uh, "fixed" a leak (until I can get to the parts store)

joncfinney

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi alh
was this a hard job? any special tolls. I need to replace my passenger side one. Its just further in there then the driver side right?

NWFDUB

TDI
NA
Hacked off 3 inches. Threaded stick. Aftermarket Delrin knob designed for Toyota. Flare nut. Two tone Leather gaiter. Custom shift pattern emblem.

dink

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
replaced vacuum lines, brake boost hose, dipstick tube and the 3 main seals in the injection pump.hooked up VAG com and set every thing to specs.Car runs like brand new.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I took the Jetta on it's first drive in almost 4 months after:

removing the damaged ALH head and block,
receiving the head and block from Dutch Auto Parts (Thanks, Frans!),
rebuilding the injection pump (Thanks, DFIS!),
replacing the nozzles and calibrating the injectors (Thanks, DBW!),
renewing the timing belt, head gasket, bolts and seals (Thanks, BoraParts!),
reinstalling the engine with a 1-ton hoist (Thanks, Harbor Freight!),
and clearing the codes (Thanks, VCDS!).

It truly takes a village. :)

Davegsm82

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf TDI 2.0 CRB 150BHP + T25 Vanagon AFN 110BHP
Actually drove the PD/VE Hybrid. 40 miles and it didn't shatter into a thousand pieces.

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Happy New Year! Today was a good day for the Jetta. I installed a new fuel filter, applied a coat of Maguire's synthetic wax and re attached my passenger sunroof drain. Just the other day, I broke the 200k mark. Love this car!

On a side note, I finally got some self discipline and learned how to be super light on the accelerator pedal and better manage fuel consumption by watching my boost gauge. Hoping for a 850-900 tank if I can stop going into town. Ha

Last edited: