Need a Android based head unit for my Passat!

shapeless69

TDI
Passat 2007
Hi Guys,

I have a VW passat 2007. I have a standard RCD300 radio with this car. However I would really like to install a Android based Headunit and replace this radio. I want the standard functions but really want a Android based unit. I also want to install a rear camera and the unit should support this. Can someone please recommend me some good head units? I looked at ebay but can't really find anything decent. I usually like products from Germany as they are very good. I have a decent budget for this.

I need a unit that I can root and control my own choice of navigation software (e.g: Tom tom) and will carry the Canbus module for steering wheel controls.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
There are all kinds of Chinese android based units on ebay. Take a look! Perhaps if you can get one to work you can report back as to how it works.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
there has only been 1 review of the chinese one installed in a VW that I have found..

I searched regarding a similar setup.. deciding for listening to radio and podcasts I didnt need a bunch of things.. just wanted to bluetooth calls and music... so I went a pioneer.. pretty basic.. very happy though.. but not android based like I really wanted

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have a parrot android smart head unit in my Passat, and while I haven't bought one, there are canbus modules out there for it, and tons of support for rooting. I bought and installed a $15 Chinese rear camera which works well.

Quite happy with it.