DIY: How to fix air blend door MK4 TDI no cabin heat problem

Dave89

TDI
1998 & 1999 Beetle
My 98 beetle had the same problem, kinda problematic with no heat in the car hauling my 1 year old in an Iowa winter. So I did the Beetle hack job, quick and easy. Cut a hole, fixed the doors and then made a patch to cover it back up. I siliconed my patch back over the hole I made and then covered it with HVAC tape just for good measure. Well worth the hour and a half it took me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My 98 beetle had the same problem, kinda problematic with no heat in the car hauling my 1 year old in an Iowa winter. So I did the Beetle hack job, quick and easy. Cut a hole, fixed the doors and then made a patch to cover it back up. I siliconed my patch back over the hole I made and then covered it with HVAC tape just for good measure. Well worth the hour and a half it took me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Looks good, if it serves the purpose no one hardly ever goes in there. Is this the standard way for us to fix the blend doors on these MKIV's?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
KrashDH, I've addressed this issue on at least three New Beetles using the "cut-out" method. It worked for me. It is a struggle to get the aluminum tape on that bottom door ........... patience is your friend. I used JB Weld to secure the piece cut out.

I now need to fix the blend doors on my 03 Jetta ..... just put it off too long!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
KrashDH, I've addressed this issue on at least three New Beetles using the "cut-out" method. It worked for me. It is a struggle to get the aluminum tape on that bottom door ........... patience is your friend. I used JB Weld to secure the piece cut out.

I now need to fix the blend doors on my 03 Jetta ..... just put it off too long!
Hey thanks for the reply! Sounds like when it's time to do this I'll just go this route. Is it more beneficial to do something like silicone/RTV to seal that area for vibration/flexibility, or is the JB Weld/Epoxy method good enough (not susceptible tp cracking?)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Looks good, if it serves the purpose no one hardly ever goes in there. Is this the standard way for us to fix the blend doors on these MKIV's?
The standard way is to remove or at least move the box. Never had to repair this, but followed along the many threads.
I was always wondering about alternate solution, the cut-out seems brilliant, I'm sure it's tedious, but it's one or two hours vs. more like eight.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The standard way is to remove or at least move the box. Never had to repair this, but followed along the many threads.
I was always wondering about alternate solution, the cut-out seems brilliant, I'm sure it's tedious, but it's one or two hours vs. more like eight.
Yeah I'm all for working smarter not harder, especially in an area like that which will never be seen. From the photos it's a bit difficult to tell, I may have to go back in this thread, to get an idea of how long (?) the blend doors are and what is actually being sealed off. You can see a bit of aluminum tape on one of the doors in the photo but it look like it disappears into the darkness

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hey thanks for the reply! Sounds like when it's time to do this I'll just go this route. Is it more beneficial to do something like silicone/RTV to seal that area for vibration/flexibility, or is the JB Weld/Epoxy method good enough (not susceptible tp cracking?)
I use the quick set JB Weld. Then, right before I begin to cover up the area with parts, etc., I place a piece of the aluminum tape over the cut-out area which reinforces the JB Weld.

AntonLargiader

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '03 Jetta wagon
Just did this on my '03 wagon with manual HVAC. For info here, the "Shortcut method" as I can see is about not removing the dash, but you can remove the duct cover or the whole front duct. I took notes from the Vortex thread and removed the two metal dash support struts (to the left and right of the duct). This allowed me to remove the entire front duct without messing with the seven clips at all. So, in a nutshell (and the order IS important in some cases):

Remove rear ash tray trim, trim strip above front ashtray, unbolt armrest, and remove center console
Unscrew glove box (after center console)
Pry off fuse cover, left dash end, and unscrew driver footwell trim
Pry off HVAC trim, extract radio, and unscrew black dash center frame (after glove box and driver footwell trim is removed).
Unbolt steel side supports
Remove two screws holding front duct to main duct (my screws were 6mm hex).
Clip zip-tie holding HVAC wiring to duct on right
Reach from right side over duct and disengage top clip. Tight hand space from glove compartment area.
Pull duct out/down and to the side to disengage bottom clip
Remove duct out the bottom
Repair doors
Separate duct halves with the seven clips (very hard or impossible to reinstall in one piece)
Reinstall front section, taking care to get the top clip over the main duct while engaging the bottom clip.
Install two retaining screws
Clip outer duct cover in place, starting with the upper clips. Get them positioned but not fully snapped in and work you way down each side, only fully snapping them closed when the following ones are aligned properly.
Put the rest of the stuff back.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

I think I just realized for this... That cutout method only works for the NB right?
I have a Golf so it looks like when I need to do this I'll have to go full send...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I did my Jetta and there is no need to do a cutout.
Right you don't have to cutout but you have to do the long teardown instead of just remove the center console/glovebox, etc. I'm just thinking that the NB has a shortcut...console removal then cut out the patch. Golf/Jetta aren't so lucky...

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Right you don't have to cutout but you have to do the long teardown instead of just remove the center console/glovebox, etc. I'm just thinking that the NB has a shortcut...console removal then cut out the patch. Golf/Jetta aren't so lucky...
I only removed the radio, console, and glove box (which I replaced during this event because of a bad latch). If that is a long teardown, then I guess it is. I didn't think it was that much work. The hardest part was getting the cover off the mix box.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Any chance you have photos or more details on how you've done the blend door fix on Golf / Jetta?
(Or if not photos, workarounds for hard parts of the job.)
Everything else I've read seems to indicate (as KrashDH suggests) that the full-on dash tear-down is needed.

In the event I'm ever faced with this, I'd love to know that there's an easier method.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Here ya go. No need to remove the actual dash. I did forget that I had to remove the panel under the steering wheel.

The real work is being kind to all the old plastic and not stress the stuff you take off so it doesn't break.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Here ya go. No need to remove the actual dash. I did forget that I had to remove the panel under the steering wheel.

The real work is being kind to all the old plastic and not stress the stuff you take off so it doesn't break.
Thanks for the link

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I've almost been that deep in dealing with other issues. So, it appears to be doable!

Where do we get the plugs?

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I have the opposite problem. Is this related? I only have highest temp heat. Can move the temperature knob but it doesn't affect anything. The flaps seems to move for the blend door. My interior is already half gutted from trying to fix this but I haven't made any progress at all.

Last edited:

howeto

TDI
2000 TDI Jetta
Hi, I just did this and wanted to offer my notes for anyone that may take a stab at this.

First it took me start to finish about 4 hours, I am not a mechanic but I know my way around a bit.

After all the controls/radio etc. were removed I got to the box. I didn't remove any screws or nuts like people mentioned, I just started prying and working the tabs and just worked my way from the sides/bottom and up. Took some careful prying but I got it. I didn't remove the back half, that's what the screws/nuts hold but I didn't see it necessary. I then cleaned the doors and applied the aluminum tape that was mentioned. It was mostly blind application because most of the doors are out of sight but I put a lot on trying to work my way from the top to the bottom, lots of overlap, I figured a little more may go a long way.

Snapped and assembled all back together and sure enough heat!

Not that I am an expert but if anyone ever has any questions feel free to contact me via PM and I would be more than happy to answer questions via phone or email.
Still remember this well enough to walk someone through it?

Nicko

TDI
Porsche Boxster 986 2001
For anyone interested, Charles aka HumbleMechanic did a full step by step video but removed the entire dash.

Hi, where can I buy the blend door plugs. I searched on ebay and can't find these to purchase. What web site can I purchase these plug kits.

Thank you

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
I have a common 2002 New Beetle TDI GLS and this site says the plugs do not fit, can that be correct? It says these plugs fit most VW's from the 90's to the 2000's, 1998-2012 VW Beetle (Mk4) (scratching head) :unsure:

UPDATE: Crisis over, DSP-Auto replied and said it was an ebay glitch :). Ordered.

now, with Nuge's (and jokila's) post above, from January, and this short Youtube video from 7 years ago that gives a feel for the size of the opening being cut, I think it will be much easier than going in from below. Also, I have been using this stuff called Plastex that melds seams very well so once the plugs get here, looking forward to cold A/C again! Mornings are good when the ambient isn't too warm. Afternoons...not so much, lol.

It isn't difficult but this YT video gives you the torx sizes and some good music while watching the center dash removal.

Last edited:

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a common 2002 New Beetle TDI GLS and this site says the plugs do not fit, can that be correct? It says these plugs fit most VW's from the 90's to the 2000's, 1998-2012 VW Beetle (Mk4) (scratching head) :unsure:

UPDATE: Crisis over, DSP-Auto replied and said it was an ebay glitch :). Ordered.

now, with Nuge's (and jokila's) post above, from January, and this short Youtube video from 7 years ago that gives a feel for the size of the opening being cut, I think it will be much easier than going in from below. Also, I have been using this stuff called Plastex that melds seams very well so once the plugs get here, looking forward to cold A/C again! Mornings are good when the ambient isn't too warm. Afternoons...not so much, lol.

It isn't difficult but this YT video gives you the torx sizes and some good music while watching the center dash removal.

Plugs out for delivery, woohoo!

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Plugs out for delivery, woohoo!
Well that was a false alarm (vacuum hose) but they just came in, lol. Wow, I was expecting them to be more rubbery instead of hard as checkers but looking at HumbleMechanic;s video again it does look like they are hard. Just how hot does it get in there right off the heater core, guess some high-temp rtv should have no trouble resisting melting?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Well that was a false alarm (vacuum hose) but they just came in, lol. Wow, I was expecting them to be more rubbery instead of hard as checkers but looking at HumbleMechanic;s video again it does look like they are hard. Just how hot does it get in there right off the heater core, guess some high-temp rtv should have no trouble resisting melting?
Certainly not going to get hotter than engine temperature. 190-210*F? ...and probably not near there. Have you ever burned your hand sticking it in front of a vent?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Certainly not going to get hotter than engine temperature. 190-210*F? ...and probably not near there. Have you ever burned your hand sticking it in front of a vent?
Good points, I deserved that question, lol. I was bothered by several dogs wanting dinner and didn't even ask what I was really wondering, lol, whether to use the hard or pliable rtv. Looks like either will work and it is plenty humid around my place to let it cure nicely.