Turbo Seals?

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
Hi All,
I have been having issues with the car burning oil. The car does not get driven nearly as much as it used to. My commute to school is now 5 minutes down the street instead of what used to be 50 miles each way. Therefore, the car does all of its driving on a cold engine. When I hop on the highway after a week of classes there is a cloud of blue smoke behind me for about 20-30 seconds. It does not seem to matter if the car is up to operating temperature or still warming up. The car does not smoke after the 20-30 seconds onto the highway. Am I experiencing a buildup of blow by? Is it likely that failing turbo seals are causing this? The car has always produced a quick puff of blue smoke on startup since I got it 4 years ago. However, it was never this bad until my commute was shortened substantially. Please let me know what you think.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
How many miles on the engine?

Most likely the accumulated oil from the CCV (crankcase blow-by) and seepage from the Turbo seals is being blown on down stream toward the cylinders when you hit the high speeds going through the gears onto the highway... thus, the blue smoke. The dip stick (and odometer) should be your gauge for determining oil consumption (assuming no external leaks).

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
How many miles on the engine?

Most likely the accumulated oil from the CCV (crankcase blow-by) and seepage from the Turbo seals is being blown on down stream toward the cylinders when you hit the high speeds going through the gears onto the highway... thus, the blue smoke. The dip stick (and odometer) should be your gauge for determining oil consumption (assuming no external leaks).
I am approaching 195k