VNT17 Upgrade Actuator BEW Thoughts

Fongpei

TDI
Jetta MKIV 2004 Sedan 225k, '04 wagon 183k
I blew my turbo and bought a VNT17 as the replacement. The turbo did not come with an actuator, so questions is what are the options out there.

1. Buy the Smart Actuator for the VNT17 (Abt $200)
2. Rig the old actuator with new hardware to be compatible with the VNT17 linkage.
3. Buy a "non smart" actuator and hook up directly to a vacuum line.

Can anyone share their experience?

Doug

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I bought the whole turbo and restored my actuator connector, which was just some wires hanging when I bought the car. Works for me.

Where did you buy a turbo without an actuator?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I never heard of a new turbo assembly that did not have the new actuator. Where did you buy it? Might want to return it and get the proper replacement from one of our on-line verdors/members.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A new turbo should always come with a new actuator, always. I agree with ^^^ you might want to return the turbo you currently have.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
A new turbo should always come with a new actuator, always. I agree with ^^^ you might want to return the turbo you currently have.
I'm guessing it came with an actuator, but not the smart actuator used on the BEW? If so - either get a tune to delete it, or get the correct actuator. I'm not sure if you can adapt the KP39 actuator to the vnt17.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I blew my turbo and bought a VNT17 as the replacement. The turbo did not come with an actuator, so questions is what are the options out there.

1. Buy the Smart Actuator for the VNT17 (Abt $200)
2. Rig the old actuator with new hardware to be compatible with the VNT17 linkage.
3. Buy a "non smart" actuator and hook up directly to a vacuum line.

Can anyone share their experience?

Doug
If it didn't come with an actuator it's incomplete. Experience says many have had issues with this part sold at discount. What is it and where did it come from?
Perhaps you can rig up something else to work, it just moves a small bit, enough to open and close the vane assembly.

Fongpei

TDI
Jetta MKIV 2004 Sedan 225k, '04 wagon 183k
Thanks for all the followup guys. Of course I found a tuner that had the turbo but no actuator. It was a great deal and couldnt pass it up. I've been putting off buying the actuator because of the different things i've heard about whether it makes sense to use the "smart" actuator. From what I've read the VNT 17 is the oem in Europe so there are lots of non "smart" actuators out there. But, since we're special, we get the "smart" actuator.

Sounds like I'm getting the actuator from IDparts and just stop stalling.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you buy the turbo from ID Parts?
If not, was it new, rebuilt, or used?
Curious who you bought it from.
Some great deals weren't so great if the turbo seal leaks and you have a runaway. :eek: