Broken down Bethlehem PA - rec mechanics?

000utback

TDI
96 Passat sedan; 03 Jetta sedan; 04 Jetta sedan
So, my son just called from Bethlehem Pennsylvania area (4 hrs from me) with car issues. Sounds to me like a driveshaft broke. He's setting along the road trying to find a shop with his cell phone search. If anybody reads this and has a recommendation, I'll be watching this thread for a couple hours while I do an internet search. Thanks in advance!
2004 Jetta TDI

000utback

TDI
stop request. going to dealer for repair.

Well, the son connected with the dealer Ciocca and has a tow truck en route. This is my 5th VW, and my first experience with a dealer. Hope for the best.

He said it was knocking in concert with the road speed, and some clicking, then suddenly lost all power to the wheels. Engine fine, etc. Car rolls freely, and leaving it in gear does NOT hold it back. I'm guessing a drive shaft broke. Should be an easy fix for a dealer.

Thanks anyway. If there would have been a longer time interval I'm sure the trusty forum members would have good advice.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Be prepared for either a large bill or another tow bill and a reasonable bill. Whether your son is in college or not this is going to be a lesson in economics for both of you.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Be prepared for either a large bill or another tow bill and a reasonable bill. Whether your son is in college or not this is going to be a lesson in economics for both of you.
I've never been one to call a dealership a stealership, but over the past couple of years I've bought several dealer maintained Beetles. The repair receipts on these Beetles totally ASTOUNDS me. Sorry to say, but AVOID a dealership for repairs at all costs.

000utback

TDI
yeah, well, he went with a dealer without knowing it, just calling through VW service search on his smartphone. That was before I got any other direction on service recs. So, the dealer says driveshaft flange, $495 parts/labor. I felt sad, but approved it, not having other options at a distance. Then he charged my son over $650! They also offered to fix the control arm bushings for $420 and the front strut top bearings for $445. He said it's going to be hard to get the car aligned with those issues. Told him I'll wait till May when the car comes home and we'll do it locally.

After that, I told the chillun that where ever they move, they need to identify good local TDI service and save those contacts in their phones. Be prepared.