Belt question/oil leak

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
Based on what research I've been able to do, I believe the belt that you can see when you're under the front of the car on the passenger side is the serpentine belt...correct?

The crankshaft seal has just been replaced on my car when the TB was changed. I'm seeing a reasonably small amount of oil leaking from the end of the oil pan that looks like it has a flange that connects to something in the area of the serpentine(?) belt.

Any help on where this leak might be coming from, assuming that a diagnosis could be made given the very limited info I've provided, would be greatly appreciated.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Interweb guess the crankshaft didn't seal or could be the oil pan didn't seal in that area.
Must get a closer look.
This does happen from time to time with engine seals.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
If you had a shop do this work then take it back to them. They possibly nicked the crank seal during install. (can't recall if any of these are teflon, which require they sit for several hours before trying to turn over the engine- failure to do this can result in insufficient sealing- if a shop did this then I'd ask them if they allowed the car to rest after installing the seal -don't mention that it's leaking until you hear what their response is; if they hear you ask about leaking they'll tell you they did everything correctly and there's little way you can prove otherwise)

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Teflon seals must be installed BONE DRY (and the surface they bear on must be ABSOLUTELY DRY AND CLEAN as well) and then they must sit for some time (several hours) as noted. All seals must be protected from nicks during installation for obvious reasons.

If there is ANY contamination with a teflon seal on the surface it bears on or the seal itself it will leak EVERY TIME. They're great seals and generally last longer than the innerspring rubber-style but are utterly intolerant of incorrect procedure during installation.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
^ Absolutely correct, I had to replace a rear seal, I cleaned the crank with isopropyl alcohol on a cloth. Of course by the time you get everything back together 3-4 hours have elapsed so I wasn’t really worried about that part.