Instrument cluster problem

shendlaw

TDI
Bora MK4
Hi everyone, i got a little problem with my instrument cluster, basically it have MFD but it never worked with the steering column switch, i mean the column works, i can wipe my windows and everything but when i press the buttons for show range, or mpg, nothing happens, its stay on a cronometer that says since the car was moving like 10min, 1h etc, since the instrument cluster not the original one of the car, maybe i got to pair it with my ccm or ic? or what's wrong with it? thank you for attention.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
You don't need to pair the cluster with anything to get the switch to be recognized. The switch has 4 wires (3 go the cluster and 1 is ground). This post explains how it's wired to the cluster:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=459823&postcount=6

You can pull the cluster out and make sure that there are wires going to the correct pins on the green connector. If you have a multimeter, you could check that the correct pins on the green connector are shorted to ground when you press one of the 3 buttons on the switch. If that all tests out good, then you might have a broken switch or broken cluster.