What did you do to your MKIV today?

Elysian

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf
Replaced my belt tensioner and alternator pulley, tensioner still bounces a little bit, thinking maybe it needs a new serpentine belt, but not sure.

Also reset the airbag code, light is off for good now.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Windshield washer pump arrived from Hong Kong, so I installed it and have working washer functions again.

If only it were this easy to fix the washer issue on my 2006 daily driver (company car).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Replaced the clutch slave on the wife's car. Hoping that this resolved a stench issue that has popped up a couple of times following her doing a lot of clutching: new clutch; when replaced I'd seen a dribble of fluid on the end of the slave but stupidly ignored it.

Installed a new front ashtray cover in my car. Old one was really yucky. The bottom trim piece on the dash cage is also yucky and I need to track down a replacement for that as well.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Replaced the LF wheel bearing; RF went Nov 2016 - not bad for a car with 361k km on it!

Last edited:

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Stupid P0380 popped up, hope I can wiggle some wires. Doing head gaskets on my Duramax has me dreaming on how easy it is to work on the TDI instead.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Replaced the oil cooler in the wife's car. A while back I'd noted that it was leaking pretty good: limped it along until it was time for an oil change. The cooler was leaking when we got the car, at which time (about 65k miles ago) I'd replaced the seals. All seemed fine until recently. Not sure why it decided to start leaking, but I didn't want to take the chance of new seals not sealing up well so opted to replace the cooler. Interesting, though, how the top seals' alignment tabs no longer seem to line up (using them results in distorting the seal = leaks): seal manufacturer or oil cooler manufacturer? What a messy job this is.

Replaced the vacuum lines to the turbo and to the vacuum reservoir ball. Also replaced the hook strut (was getting pretty weak).

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Put some Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires (225 35 19) on the BBS wheels and mounted them on the car. Got rid of the crappy tires that came with the used rims when I bought them a few years ago.

Getting ready to go camping in a week!

dober

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Silver Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Removed my roof racks and the studs that hold them in place from my wagon of good. All 6 of the mounts have leaked at one point or another and the aluminum was starting to corrode also.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Secured my air cleaner box with the correct hardware (thank you to Volk14).

Also replaced my rusty and streaking wiper arms with the aero arms and beam-type wipers. Driver's side excellent result. Passenger side now leaves a wide a band in the center. I'm hoping a different blade will fix the problem.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Pulled the battery and tray and wired in the ground clip. It hadn’t been included in my six speed conversion so the existing connection kept coming loose. Now it’s clipped on and will stay there!

Also, while the tray was out re-routed some ground wires to the factory location.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
I didn't do anything close to the above lol. But I did take advantage of the weather today and the warm interior plastics to replace my blower motor behind the glove box. Hopefully that also solves the rattle that has been coming from that area as well.

The next warm(ish) day we get I plan on replacing the parking brake cables and while the center console is disassembled replacing the bushing on the bell crank of the shifter with the Dieselgeek First Gear Getter. The bushing is there but I think it has a flat spot on the 1/2 side. It hardly takes any movement to get fifth (with a DG Sigma 5 already installed) but there is quite a bit of play before it moves the lever for the 1/2 shift.

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
got the timing belt all done Motor mount back in new control arms put in and torqed new ball joint in new tie rods inner and outter in and new cv axle just need a extra hand to step on the brakes to tighten the bolts cars been down about 3 week cant wait to get it back on the road

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
got the timing belt all done Motor mount back in new control arms put in and torqed new ball joint in new tie rods inner and outter in and new cv axle just need a extra hand to step on the brakes to tighten the bolts cars been down about 3 week cant wait to get it back on the road
Cut a piece of wood slightly long, to go from the drivers seat edge to the brake pedal and there's your 3rd hand:D

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Car's been towed to my mechanic's place. New VNT17 turbo from IDParts going in. Crossing me fingers! He'll be blowing out the intercooler just in case to make sure nothing's in there.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Able to finally get my NYS inspection sticker:rolleyes:. I went yesterday and the only thing that didn't pass was the tint on the front windows,so after I drove home and peeled off and scraped glue off, the cel popped again for the glow plugs,so monitors weren't ready for emission (obd) test. Drove around for 1-1/2 hors today to reset again after I started it, last one finally went to ready at 5:55pm-shop closed at 6.... turned around and was able to pull in and get it scanned. Still have 1 not ready-the misfire monitor,but that didn't reset on my 370 mile drive home with it last weekend......I can have 1 not ready in NY for an '03....

Elysian

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf
Sold my Mk4 TDI Monday after showing it to 3 people in under 2 hours. Was only on the market one day, guess I priced it too low.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Finally got to take the engine cover off to see where diesel smell coming from. Injector pump was a little damp,wiped it down. Noticed the arch in valve cover next to coolant plugs leaks while running- wipe the oil,then puddles back up in short time.... saw why I was getting the 4 glow plug heater circuit codes-plug closest to timing belt,top had rust on it and harness boot was gone and terminal end was off plug, along w/ numerous cracks in the harness:eek:- I'm guessing it's original harness, with all wthe work that was performed on car over the past few years I can't figure out why the trusted guy the PO took it to never replaced it.....(timing belts,cam and lifters,clutch...) can't wait to see what kind of mess is on the panzer plate.....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Noticed the arch in valve cover next to coolant plugs leaks while running- wipe the oil,then puddles back up in short time....
I had that same issue after doing the TB on one of my cars - tightened the valve cover bolts as much as I dared for fear of stripping threads in the head, but still would build up a little puddle of oil there. Got a new (to me) valve cover - same thing.

Ended up just putting some RTV around the entire arch, letting it cure, then fired up...no mo' puddle.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Tried an old tune back in the ECU: less power and fuel economy using the MAF, so I am back to the MAP tune instead. I changed the rear dampers to STR.T's and all the associated parts as well to eliminate a banging every time I went over a bump or a crack in the pavement.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Tried an old tune back in the ECU: less power and fuel economy using the MAF, so I am back to the MAP tune instead. I changed the rear dampers to STR.T's and all the associated parts as well to eliminate a banging every time I went over a bump or a crack in the pavement.

I changed the bushings in the rear beam 3 months ago. Two weeks later, I noticed banging/knocking in the rear constantly. I thought I had a blown shock, but it turnout to be upper rear shock mounts . I’ve never ever replaced a rear upper shock or strut mount on any other VW in over 30 plus years, but what a difference.

Bajan