Alh long cranking time and oil consumption

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Hello,

I am stumped and I was hoping to get some advice before I pull the head off my 03 Golf TDI. I have been burning about 1 quart of oil every 2k and I am having very long cranking times when I try to start after sitting overnight. When it does turn over it does a lot of chuffing and hesitating and then it settles down and runs smooth. It does turn right over if I am running errands, as long as it doesn't sit overnight.

I have 465 across all 4 cylinders, new turbo, new glow plugs, new harness, new IP, IQ is perfect, Timing is dead on, new calibrated injectors and nozzles from Kerma, EGR delete, and I just got the timing belt replaced.

All this has been done in the last year chasing this problem. I really don't want to pull the head, but it's the only other thing I can think of.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Phil

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Is it smoking on first start up?

Pull out each glow plug and see which on is oily, that would be the cylinder I would suspect, possibly a broken oil control ring.

I would personally set timing toward the upper end of the graph, that may help with the starting issue.

How many miles on thr car?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
A new pump presumably rules out a leak there but what have you done to verify the fuel filter is not letting air in?

Classic symptom of air leak is problem starting after long sitting that doesn't appear after short stops.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I suspect there are TWO different issues here. Concentrate on the starting one first: air incursion in fuel system- any bubbles in input side of fuel line? (assumes you have a clear section, not all do); maybe bypass everything up to IP and feed fuel from a separate container (a good time to do a Diesel Purge).

Oil consumption issue is, unfortunately, likely going to be as mentioned- an oil control ring (broken, stuck?).

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
I am still chasing this this long cranking time. I ended up testing the whole fuel system and I ended up replace some hoses and replaced the fuel filter with one with a permanent T. I was getting air through the plastic tee when I wiggled it. Still no luck with the starting. I tried advancing my IP timing to the top of the range and increased my IQ to 5.8 with still no luck. Any ideas?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What nozzles? Bumping up IQ too high will tend to hinder starting.