Been working...

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
So the project 05 Wagon with 5m has been in the garage for about a year now, aging like a fine wine. I bought her with a seized engine because of no oil. Best I can tell is a leaking turbo return line? The car is a bit of a mess, thanks in part to a grease car kit installed by a previous owner years ago. It has been disconnect for quite a time, but old grease remains covering the trunk floor:mad::mad:.

About the same time of getting the car, I bought from good ol' craigslist a replacement motor, with a recently (undocumented) rebuilt 01m.

I started it off not long after getting it, removing some of the front bodywork, but noticed I was in over my head. This weekend, a friend of mine came and started helping. We started at about 830, motor out about 1230. We were in general, pretty lucky. Getting out the axle bolts was the hardest. A close second was the turbo/downpipe studs. 1 broke, all shot. Have to order a few parts today but plan on them coming in this week and putting the motor back in next Saturday. While out, doing the timing belt and new alternator.

We were able to leave the AC connected up without having to disconnect lines. Just unbolted and tied to the side. I am worried, it looks pretty rough. I hope I don't get it back together and see that it is bad. I don't know the cost on a new AC system, but I would prefer to not have to pay.

Needing them words of encouragement!
No pictures of the interior, it is pretty dirty but should clean up pretty well!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I pulled my engine and transmission after a timing belt mishap, I just put the ac aside bungee cording it out of the way. It all went back together just fine.

If you think the ac needs a new clutch, now is the time, lots of room, you can do it on the car, it’s just much more difficult.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
I never heard the car run or really have much info on it before I got it. A few records, new clutch and a few other things. So it is a big mystery whether it's going to work or not. It would be really easy to swap the compressor now, the one on the other motor looks in really good shape. But of course then I would have to pay a shop to vac and fill. $150ish??

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The clutch is usually the thing that goes bad on those things and you can change them out without breaking open the system. There’s a write up on this forum or myturbodiesel I forget which. There are also several you tube videos.

My clutch went bad and I went to the junkyard and bought a compressor for $40 that didn’t make any noise when I spun it. Swapped out the pulley, clutch and associated parts and never did open the ac system up.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
I need to test the psi. If the compressor was bad it would be empty? I also need to check for any of the oil around the system for leaks. Might could help

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
So hitting a snag. Removing the auto from the donor motor. Looks like it has maybe 14mm triple square on it? But there isn't much room to get a long bit in there. Struggling to upload a pic. What I've seen others have is a bolt with standard 6pt head. But mine is a triple square. Make it a big PITA. any ideas of where to get a 14mm triple? I bought a 16. Nope too big plus the bit is too long.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
So just to make sure that I understand what you are doing....
You have a 2005 manual tdi with a blown engine and you are in the process of installing another tdi engine that had an 01m tranny on it.

Are you sure you have an 01m tranny on it?

What year is your donor engine?

The 01m tranny only came on the earlier "ALH" tdi's .....your 05 has a pd "BEW" engine.

That is NOT a direct swap....I'm sure someone has probably done it BUT, not worth the trouble in my opinion.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Motor is back in. She cranks, with the help of jumpers because the battery is dead of course.

But, there is air in the fuel lines. I have looked for a good write up on how to bleed the lines but I am struggling. Can anyone help me find one? Thanks.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
On a 05 the in tank pickup pump should push fuel to the tandem pump, if its not, its most likely not working. When you turn the key on you should hear it, just like a gas car fuel pump. It is fairly common they fail, but most don't know it until they get air in the lines.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not to be a but but doesn't it actually deliver fuel to the filter assembly, then the tandem.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
I guess tonight I need to check the line from the tank to the filter to make sure it is flowing. But all the lines from the filter to the engine are not going to be filled I am sure after having the engine out. I sure hope I don't need a $200 lift pump.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
You can hear the lift pump coming on when cycling the key so pretty happy it doesn't seem like that is the issue. I really think it is just air in the line from the filter to pump.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Air should not be a problem from the tank to the filter. Can you actually verify flow of fuel to the filter?

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
if you can hear it turn on that's good.

I'm not sure what the exact procedure to bleed the lines would be, but when you turn on the key, that pump only runs for a second. this might be worth a try...

Pull the sender cover under the rear seat and carefully disconnect the electrical (easy to break).
connect jumpers from a 12v source - this will give steady flow of fuel to/past the filter.
Crank the engine.

If it starts quickly disconnect the jumpers and cover it back up.

positive is on the flat side of the plug, ground on the rounded side. nothing to middle.

this worked for me when gas was put in the tank... should be the same for air?

if that doesn't work you might want to pull the line going into the filter and cycle the key to verify it is flowing...

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
I verified that fuel is flowing to the filter, hear the lift pump for just a second after turning the key. The pump sounds good to me so I am not worried about that.

I guess to bleed the air out of the lines from filter to injectors I have to take the valve cover off and somehow loosen the line to the injectors?

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Still looking for info on best way to bleed fuel lines. Also, what is the best/proper way to fill with antifreeze to make sure no air is left in the lines?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Everything I've read says to simply continue cycling the list pump to bleed. Removing glow plugs can make it a bit easier and you will see fuel in the holes.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Still looking for info on best way to bleed fuel lines. Also, what is the best/proper way to fill with antifreeze to make sure no air is left in the lines?
I was unable to bleed air out of a new tandem pump by cycling the (in-tank) lift pump, nor was I able to pull fuel through the tandem with a vacuum pump. The only thing that worked was cranking it. It took quite a bit of crank - rest - crank cycles to get it to fire.
As far as antifreeze - I have had great luck pressurizing the reservoir with the small line removed (plug the port on the reservoir). Antifreeze with circulate and run out the hose (into a bottle). From there it will usually purge the air out on it's own. Otherwise, pressurizing the whole system and quickly releasing pressure will move the air bubble. Putting a vacuum pump on it works too.
Have any scan tools? VCDS or VAG 401 should be able to run the pump for priming...unless you've made other plans, I believe you'll need VCDS or similar to do the final adjustment on the injection pump too.
Al
No injection pump on a PD motor

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Thanks for the help! I cycled it several times, but I was afraid of over heating the starter and burning it up. I guess I will try it some more!

For the antifreeze, I don't have a compressor or vacuum pump. It won't purge the air if I run it/drive it and keep making sure it is full? Too easy, right?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Thanks for the help! I cycled it several times, but I was afraid of over heating the starter and burning it up. I guess I will try it some more!

For the antifreeze, I don't have a compressor or vacuum pump. It won't purge the air if I run it/drive it and keep making sure it is full? Too easy, right?
It takes a while to get the thermostat to open so it might not cycle all the air out. I have also had some luck getting it hot and pressurized and then removing the cap. The sudden pressure change will move an air pocket. The main thing you DON'T want to happen is an air pocket preventing the water pump from pumping. Since the coolant temp sensor is somewhat away from the block, you might not realize you are overheating. I'd say it's unlikely to happen, but something to keep in mind.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't crank real long and give a break in between. Might help to have a charger on the battery, if it's handy.
Yes, just that easy. Just watch the engine temperature, if system is real low it can overheat.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
She lives! The battery was dead, even with trying to jump it off with my little rav4.. didn't put enough power on it. Should have tried the Titan 5.0... but I stuck on a battery charger and she cranked for about 5seconds.. started sputtering purging out the air in the lines.. 2 seconds later.. she was puring! Shockingly didn't smoke on startup after having set for a year. I was surprised the a.c. even works! Oops might have jinxed it. Does have a cel on. Might be one sensor that had a wire corrode off so I need to get a replacement. Also, the open door light won't go off so I guess one sensor has gone bad. But she immediately idled perfect. I need to finish putting the front end back together and put wheels back on then going for a drive.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Took her on her maiden voyage. Drove fine, however it was obviously low on power. There is a CEL on but I don't have a scanner. I will have to take it autozone or something see if they can read it/clear it. It definitely is not boosting, that's for sure. I have been checking to make sure the vac lines are right but not 100% on it yet.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
So I have put a few miles on it since getting it running. It has been in the garage for over a year and now running great!
HOWEVER! I noticed a wet spot on the floor board. I thought maybe the door seal is bad so I sprayed the garden hose on the door. It was dry. Then I noticed it. Behind the clutch pedal it was dripping. What the heck?!.It seems to be coming from the vent between the windshield and hood and dripping down behind the gauge cluster and by the pedal down to the floor board. Any help?! Soon!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Drain(s) under the cowl clogged?
The plastic cover running across under the hood cracked?