Sunroof motor or sunroof problem??

surclay

TDI
87 F-250 6.9, 03 VW GLS wagon
Hello I have a MKIV 2003 tdi wagon.

The sunroof has been acting up for some time and its one of many things going wrong. A few years back water got in somehow and while i was away water sat in the floor and ever since i have had mold problems. This is not the issue now but any advice would be very helpful.

The sunroof will not close, it has been slidding back and forth but when it pops up it gets stuck and i have to wind it down with the allen wrench. Now the allen wrench insert in the motor is striped.....

I took out the sunroof motor to replace it but it is over 400$ and there are no returns. in addition there was a tiny bit of black plastic dust around the sunroof gear motor so that scares me a bit thinking the sunroof gear assembly could be bad?

Any sugestions on what to do? I would be oh so greatful.

If nothing at all just how to get the sunroof closed so no water will get in.

Or should I find a complete replacement?

thank you so very much

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The junkyard can be a wonderful place to wander around. I'll bet you can find everything you need to fix your sunroof for less than $100. Any VW sunroof from an MK4 will work. Gas or diesel, Beetle, Jetta or Golf.

Mold is a little tougher, your'e probably going to have to remove what ever is moldy and thoroughly dry and disinfect it.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I just bought a tube of VW sunroof grease to keep mine happy.

Once you get yours back on its feet, you might invest 25 bucks in a tube of it yourself.

I thought mine was moving a little slowly, so a cleaning and a lube seems to have done a good thing.

If you leave the system too long without service, who knows what shape you will find it in.

+1 for a junk yard trip.

Of course, they are called "Auto Recyclers" now, and most are no longer cheap places to get parts, but I am sure you will save a bundle.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you don't have good salvage yards in your area, try car-part.com. Electric parts are rarely guaranteed, but the salvage yards will guarantee they work. I would test the old motor, if it runs it may be possible to refurbish the gears or whatever.
Also check the roof drains, could have been the start of the moisture issue.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
The sunroof on my Golf is probably the most disliked thing about my MK4. I'm always looking for a good body shop to weld up and finish the "big hole in my roof." If there was not soo much involved and $$$, I would do it myself.

Maybe less money in labor if we did a group buy. :) :D