Transmission compatibility question.

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
Have an '03 Jetta with the 01M and 330000Km showing. Have done a bit of work to it thus far with more planned so long as the car stays viable engine/transmission wise.

Seeing as the 01M seems to not get much love around here, and sounds pricey to rebuild properly...I have been giving some thought to a 5spd swap when the day comes.

Will any similar year 5spd from a Golf or Jetta bolt right up? What about interior pieces? Thinking is to pick up one of the TDI cars I'm seeing with blown motors...should have all the pieces, and most if not all usable.

Room and neighbor complaints are non issues as I live in the country.;)

Regards,
Al

cfa5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5sp
Hi welcome

O2J transmissions are the ones you are after

Ive seen many tdi standards in pick n pull calgary

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The great part about buying a complete donor car (since you have the room and no neighbor issues) is that you get all the misc parts you need (and other future spare stuff) and you also get to see how/where everything for the swap goes together, and/or came apart, rather than just a pile of parts for the first time builder.
Having a complete donor car was key to my conversion/swap when converting a 1.8 gasser from the destroyed TDI.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Buying a cheap parts car for 5spd swap is a great idea. Mk4 tdi's with issues, like rust or blown timing belts, can be easily found for $500 or less especially here in Canada where they are/were so numerous.
Virtually any mk4 tdi, jetta, golf,beetle or wagon, uses all the same parts that you need for a swap.
Check kijiji or just look for parked tdi's with the snow not cleared around them in your neighbourhood.

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
Thanks guys.

Have been eyeballing a couple on Kijiji.;)

Just needed to know "what fits on what" before getting ahead of myself and ending up with a $500 lawn ornament....and an aggravated budget troll.

Al

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Buying a cheap parts car for 5spd swap is a great idea. Mk4 tdi's with issues, like rust or blown timing belts, can be easily found for $500 or less especially here in Canada where they are/were so numerous.
Virtually any mk4 tdi, jetta, golf,beetle or wagon, uses all the same parts that you need for a swap.
Check kijiji or just look for parked tdi's with the snow not cleared around them in your neighbourhood.
An older Beetle is probably the best way. They seem to go much cheaper than the Golfs and Jettas. I just got one for free that runs and drives so I can transplant the transmission. The shifter boot is the only part I think would be different?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I believe the shift towers and cable ends were updated on the post 2000(?) year models but regardless it's a good time to check out the shift tower seal and bushings, etc.
I myself would suggest sticking with the same model car as you already have for other part(s) salvaging later, interior/etc.
But, if the price is right, and hard to beat free, take what you can get.