Oil Feed line conundrum

montana3946

TDI
2003 Jetta
Have been unsuccessfully searching around for a few days looking for info about the stock oil supply line for an ALH TDI.

I removed the banjo bolt to replace leaking crush washers and a small ball bearing popped out. My guess was some kind of restrictor, but I haven't been able to find a reference to it anywhere and so far this is the first area where my Bentley manual is failing me as it's not shown in diagrams or discussed anywhere that I can find.

What is it and where does it go?

The local dealer was also unhelpful, they didn't know what it was and wouldn't show me a new one (without purchasing of course) to help me out.

All the info here has been super helpful and this is my first post since I've always been able to find answers in the past.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Any history on this car? I've seen threads where people plug off the oil to a dead turbo (dumping oil) to 'limp' it along until it can be replaced. Also is this the stock, hard line oil feed and turbo? As mentioned earlier - there shouldn't be a restrictor in there in the original parts (or any aftermarket I've seen for a TDI).

montana3946

TDI
2003 Jetta
I don't have much in the way of specific history, I bought it about a year ago with 155k on it and it was generally in good working order. Based on things I know have been replaced it seems to have been well maintained, though run on...lets call it...a tight budget. Many no-name parts, but nothing broken/worn out from lack of maintenance.

It is the stock turbo and feed line, original as far as I know and both are in good shape. The bolt only came off because I was replacing oil cooler o-rings and I figured I'd take care of all oil weeping in the area by replacing the crush washers too.

Sounds like I'll be putting everything back together without the little guy and hopefully report back that everything was a success.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I don't have much in the way of specific history, I bought it about a year ago with 155k on it and it was generally in good working order. Based on things I know have been replaced it seems to have been well maintained, though run on...lets call it...a tight budget. Many no-name parts, but nothing broken/worn out from lack of maintenance.

It is the stock turbo and feed line, original as far as I know and both are in good shape. The bolt only came off because I was replacing oil cooler o-rings and I figured I'd take care of all oil weeping in the area by replacing the crush washers too.

Sounds like I'll be putting everything back together without the little guy and hopefully report back that everything was a success.
Fingers crossed. definitely want to know what happens. I'm changing my turbo soon so I'm paying attention to all these things.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Toxic, if you do not already have a SS flex oil line, I would order one before I pulled out your turbo. The factory hard lines like to kink without warning.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Toxic, if you do not already have a SS flex oil line, I would order one before I pulled out your turbo. The factory hard lines like to kink without warning.
Thank you, I was just looking into that. I also see I may need a later-version support bracket as my 2001 is an early model 01-01 on the door.

I contacted Frans (Dutch Auto) for my turbo and apparently he's still moving his shop. After an initial reply I have not heard back from him at all (email or PM). So I may have to look elsewhere.

montana3946

TDI
2003 Jetta
Update- everything put back together without the little bearing and running well, no problems with the turbo. I guess it'll remain a mystery what the little guy was doing in there.

Toxic- I agree on the SS line. While I can't say it was as hard for me to remove the line as some have said it would be, it is definitely a frustrating experience that I won't be repeating. If that thing has to come off again it's being replaced.

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
I removed my turbo due to a seized/sticky actuator and vanes my oil line twisted while i was removing it from the turbo and i was like dont trust it so ill just buy a new one and snapped it off. When i removee it from the oil filter housing and turbo i did not notice any ball bearing so someone could have put it in there but i have not heard or would trust putting a ball bearing to something that will spin to 100k rpms. I got a SS line from woldsburg tuning if your replacing your line great price great quality

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've had the OE hard line off and back on my engine numerous times with no problems. In fact, I altered the bind down near the Turbo to provide more clearance for the motor mount and motor mount brackets (mounted in my 84 Vanagon). I did purchase a braided hose replacement. However, after comparing the hole sizes, I opted to stay with the OE hard pipe!

Supply is what concerned me...

Below are a couple of pics depicting my concerns...

But, to be revealing and fair, below is a comparison at the fitting on the Turbo