www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 15:04   #1231
dubStrom
Veteran Member

...you find yourself checking into job market in Argentina, cost of living considerations, temporary storage options for the move (while you look for a house), just to be able to buy an Amarok, all before realizing the consequences for your kids, and wife =)

Then you erase the browser cache, just in case
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:41   #1232
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post
...you find yourself checking into job market in Argentina, cost of living considerations, temporary storage options for the move (while you look for a house), just to be able to buy an Amarok, all before realizing the consequences for your kids, and wife =)

Then you erase the browser cache, just in case
My wife would just roll hers eyes and tell me to have fun. She may let me back in the house when I return, or if I can find out where she moved to!
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:43   #1233
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny View Post
When every time you hear a nearby vehicle making "swish swish swish" or "tick tick tick" sounds your heart skips a beat as you wonder if the sound is coming from YOUR lifters or YOUR timing belt!
This is the truth! At a stop light today I heard all kinds of belt noises today and looked in the rear view to find to my relief a salty looking older woman smoking a cigarette behind the wheel of an old Chevy Blazer. The noises faded as I pulled away.

You know you are obsessed when, at 482,000 km you switch your instrument cluster to "United Kingdom" so you can get a picture for the 300,000 mile club... (pic to follow in a few days fingers crossed)
Sprint 520's / RC3 / sweet turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 22:02   #1234
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

9 YEARS???? This thread ran for 9 years. Who could have known with I posted my original post that 9 years and 3 TDIs later it would finally fade to a stop. That is really, really cool.

In the 9 years that this thread has run, time has marched on. A few years after I started this thread I actually started selling VW's at a dealership in Orlando Florida. Then moved back home to 'Bama and continued with VW for a few more years first in Montgomery, then in Birmingham before finally getting out of the car business and starting my own business.
I've met lots of great VW people, many who have shared a passion for TDI's like I did.
One thing is true-- we all seem to be cut from the same cloth. We all like to drive as far on a gallon of fuel as we possibly can, and at the same time, not give up performance or longevity.

After not having posted over a year now, I felt the need to check back and see if this old thread was still going. It wasn't. It was a great run during the time we all shared our obsession.
Good Luck to the veteran obsessed TDI owners, and with the soon-to-become obsessed future TDI drivers.
Jerry

Last edited by itsmejerry; August 13th, 2013 at 22:05. Reason: add text
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 22:15   #1235
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Hey!! I am driving a 2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium now!! Nice car but doesn't get anywhere near the advertised Gas Mileage!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 22:26   #1236
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

Hey Tomo,
I left VW right as they were introducing the hybrids to us. Very peppy car, and for those who drive more city than highway, Hybrids offer a good alternative to the TDI. I can't wait for (the never to ever be available in North America) Diesel/Electric Hybrid.
But, we know the story with VW. WE think of the perfect car and they never build it. (TDI Tiguan??, TDI/ Electric Hybrid.
Oh great.. there I go getting obsessed again.
Cheers.
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:57   #1237
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejerry View Post
9 YEARS???? This thread ran for 9 years. Who could have known with I posted my original post that 9 years and 3 TDIs later it would finally fade to a stop. That is really, really cool.

In the 9 years that this thread has run, time has marched on. A few years after I started this thread I actually started selling VW's at a dealership in Orlando Florida. Then moved back home to 'Bama and continued with VW for a few more years first in Montgomery, then in Birmingham before finally getting out of the car business and starting my own business.
I've met lots of great VW people, many who have shared a passion for TDI's like I did.
One thing is true-- we all seem to be cut from the same cloth. We all like to drive as far on a gallon of fuel as we possibly can, and at the same time, not give up performance or longevity.

After not having posted over a year now, I felt the need to check back and see if this old thread was still going. It wasn't. It was a great run during the time we all shared our obsession.
Good Luck to the veteran obsessed TDI owners, and with the soon-to-become obsessed future TDI drivers.
Jerry
Wish I could remember the name of the guy who sold me my current Golf, it would be a hoot if it was you! I bought it in late 2004 from Royal in Vestavia Hills.
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:42   #1238
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Wish I could remember the name of the guy who sold me my current Golf, it would be a hoot if it was you! I bought it in late 2004 from Royal in Vestavia Hills.
That was a bit before my time. I was at Royal (Orlando) starting in 2005, and Ingram in Montgomery in 2006. and finally at Royal (B'ham) in 2009.
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:12   #1239
TDI2000Zim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 0.0 mpg

YOU KNOW YOU'RE OBSSESSED WHEN:
You are still driving a loaner Passat Gasser for more than a month, while the Dealer plays "pin the tail on the donkey" trying to figure out what the problem is with your LEMON, and still you keep an eye on gas stations that sell diesel as if you were still driving your TDi.

Last edited by TDI2000Zim; August 15th, 2013 at 10:27.
TDI2000Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:31   #1240
TDI2000Zim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 0.0 mpg
Lightbulb

YOU KNOW YOU'RE OBSSESSED WHEN:
Your wife begins to say you love your TDi LEMON (still at the Dealer for more than a month) more than you do your family.
TDI2000Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 23:45   #1241
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

ok. one more:
You know you're obsessed when you know what "the mystery spring" is, and you've saved every one you've ever found in your car hoping for the day the answer would appear on the TDI club.
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:15   #1242
ANDDRIVAL

TDI(s): N/A

I would love to make a special trip for fuels. I am a bit busy now a days but latter I will surely think about it. Any experience sharing regarding this will be welcome.

Our Website

Last edited by ANDDRIVAL; October 21st, 2013 at 10:34.
ANDDRIVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:41   #1243
TDI_Dan
Veteran Member

Guilty! On many of the few I've read. Obsessed with keeping it clean, performing my own service. Yes, I even drive by buildings with the windows down to hear the grunt and the turbo.
Old December 1st, 2015, 20:29   #1244
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejerry View Post
You know you're obsessed when you marry a girl based on her preference in TDI's over Gassers. (Well.. not really). Ok.. really.
Jerry who?
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 14:06   #1245
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

When you defend VW for being so stupid as to actually program in an emissions cheat, get caught, and admit it, only to have to replay the whole scenario a few months later with a different engine, or two, or three....