2006 BRM Jetta turbo failure! Upgrade??

MONTANAMANIAC

TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
Hello all! Great site here! New to TDI Club, and this is my first post. Bought this little Jetta about 4 months ago to commute back and forth to work. It has 225,000 mi on it now. On a getaway this last weekend the turbo took a **it. Had to limp her home. Already pulled the turbo out and the compressor/turbine shaft snapped in half. Got a few questions for you guys.

1.Do I upgrade to the PD140 turbo with a Malone stage 1.5 tune or go stock?

2.Will I see any better fuel economy with the upgrade and tune? Trying to justify the extra cost of turbo/tune.

3.Do I delete the EGR? It is working properly and all was cleaned along with the intake at 200,000 mi. Just thinking while I've got it all tore apart
might be my opportunity to avoid another problem down the road. Not to
mention, sure would make more room to install the new turbo :)

4.What's your thoughts on replacing the oil feed line for the turbo?
No leaks...yet, but sure looks like a PIA to fish out of there. I know I'll have to change the oil feed line if I upgrade the turbo.

Any insight, tips, or tricks would be appreciated!!

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
1 and 2) Fuel economy will remain similar to what it is now, probably down a bit if you use the power. My turbo is a hybrid of the PD140, I drive mostly city and get 30-40 mpg usually, 50-55 on the highway. If you're trying to justify cost, I would upgrade to the PD140 because it's probably a bit more robust. If you're on a budget, there's a reputable vendor in the vendor forum that sells rebuilt PD140 turbos.

3) Deleting the EGR is up to you, as you already know it is illegal. Personally, I chose to delete the EGR. However, I knew I wouldn't be selling the vehicle until it reaches end of life and am confident I will not be moving to a place that checks diesel emissions.

3) I'd replace the oil feed line with a braided one. If you buy one, you'll probably get the stock one out with zero issue and realized you wasted money. If you don't buy one, you'll damage the stock one. Murphy's law has never failed.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I suggest you read the post by Franko6 in this thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=338526&page=3

He will sell you a modified EGR cooler that will not fail like the original and even buy back your old one. Together with installing one of his camshaft kits, I did this with my BRM and it has never run better.

Also, if my turbo failed like you described, I think I would pull the oil pan, then take apart and closely inspect the oil pump as suspect. Adequate oil pressure and volume is vital for a turbo and inadequacy of either would be the most likely cause for turbo failure.

Last edited:

MONTANAMANIAC

TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
Hey thanks for the info guys! I decided to order the stock BV39 turbo from Cascade German parts. Sptsailing I'll have to decide if I want to go ahead and do Franko6's EGR cooler as I've decided to keep it intact. Really sounds like the way to go! Didn't want to have to purchase tunes and all that. I believe my turbo failed because of a foreign piece of metal I found in the intake. The compressor wheel fins were all mangled. At 200,000 mi the previous owner installed;
-new cam shaft
-timing belt
-water pump
-head studs & gasket
-cleaned intake & EGR
So there was opportunity for something to be in the ducting and got missed. Also, talking with Aaron at Cascade, he's seen failures like this due to over spooling the turbo. I've ordered a N75 valve as well on his recommendation, just to be safe. It's probably a good idea to check the oil pump like you said. I'll definitely be checking oil supply at the turbo before I button everything up.

MONTANAMANIAC

TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
pd140 all the way, even if you don't want to make extra power from it the garrett is a more robust unit.
I wish I could've went with the pd140, and I almost did. Just couldn't justify the added expense. I just bought this car about 5 months ago as a commuter and already doing costly repairs. With 225,000 mi on the clock I opted to keep her stock. Just need it to get from point A to B. Haha!

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I just picked up a used PD140 turbo for $150, plenty more where it come from too. To others in the same boat.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Oh wow! That is pretty cheap. How was the condition of the used turbo you got?
I mean it’s obviously used. Shaft play was minimal, and it looks like it’ll be just fine. And it’s a Garrett, so couldn’t possibly be worse than the current B/W.

Z-MAN1

TDI
2006.5 Jetta "diesel edition"
I have a Malone stage 1.5; looking at a PD140 turbo upgrade will I need a new tune? Because of the smart actuator