Replacing the alternator (PD) - difference between brands?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, for what it is worth, I've purchased from RA with no surprises thus far. The first item was a Gates reman kit for the Vanagon power steering... In fact, I did two and both turned out just fine. I purchased Sachs shock absorbers .. made in Germany. You can shop by brand on RA. They generally have numerous options.

What I don't like from RA is you can order five different items and they'll come from five different locations and hit the hell out of you for shipping.

Alternators -
I recently purchased a Made in China 120amp Alt from DB Electric on eBay. I knew going in what it was. I installed it on the TDI in my Vanagon...... extremely easy to change out. It fits perfectly (excellent copy) and come with a clutched pulley.

It seems to be just fine. Volt gauges show 13.7 to 14.2 depending on what's on such as lights, AC, wipers, etc. Its been in operation for about 800 miles.

So, we'll see how it turns out.... $105 shipped and no core charge!

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
joep, I had a 67 Dodge with an alternator. (No computer...and that's pretty early for most folks!) There was an admonition to NOT run the alternator without a load (battery). It would spoil the rectifier.
My 1978 BMW motorcycles' alternator (no computer) wouldn't like it either. REALLY bad expensive things happen to the rectifier/diodes if the battery gets disconnected

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I would not swap a press on pulley from one alternator to another.
I don't think it will be as tight as it should be.
Replacing with a new one is different.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I guess they say history is doomed to repeat itself. Getting the same damn "implaussible signal P1503", and bought the same kind of Remy alternator for my 2002 ALH. I'm not too worried now, since the battery does charge, though I feel like voltage used to be higher. But my next alternator will be a Bosch for sure.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I guess they say history is doomed to repeat itself. Getting the same damn "implaussible signal P1503", and bought the same kind of Remy alternator for my 2002 ALH. I'm not too worried now, since the battery does charge, though I feel like voltage used to be higher. But my next alternator will be a Bosch for sure.
For what it is worth, my formerly owned 2000 Jetta TDI (son owns it) has a 90 AMP Bosch ALT on it, since about 2014. It has not caused any issues.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Often if you swap the regulator out for a genuine Bosch one, it'll be a lot better. I actually build a high amp Bosch alternator using an aftermarket 180 amp Bosch copy, then I take it apart, install ntn bearings, Bosch regulator and rectifier and an INA pulley. It makes a good quality unit for a lot better price.
Also currently working on trying to modify a 220 amp Valeo unit from an Audi Q7 TDI for a higher amp unit for these cars. Both should have larger alternator cables though.