Are these linked? Will Tune Fix them?

NArias24

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
So my Car has had the code "P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected" for a few weeks and I haven't done anything for that yet thinking it's just emissions and wouldn't be a big deal.
However last week while driving uphill I felt my car go into Limp mode and when I went to scan it the OBD port wasn't connecting. [Eventually found blown fuse 12 for the DLC power supply]
So today I can scan the car and pull out code "P1556 Charge Pressure Negative Deviation" Which after searching found it could be Clogged intake (doubt that since I recently cleaned it all out), Actuator that's leaking, bad vacuum lines, or a sticky turbo.
My question is can the P0402 EGR code be causing the P1556 Code? And if it is can I buy a tune that deletes the EGR with a racepipe and use this as a Cure? Any and all advice welcomed. 2002 Golf TDI ALH 5Speed with ~105,000Miles on it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Q1 not really, but do get that P1556 solved before you chip.
Q2 If you ask, the chip tuner will remove the EGR functions from the ECU

NArias24

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Q1 not really, but do get that P1556 solved before you chip.
Q2 If you ask, the chip tuner will remove the EGR functions from the ECU
Dang alright :/ Yeah I know they can remove it but was hoping that I could have fixed two birds with one stone.

Time to go through the rest then

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your car is throwing codes because it needs something fixed. A tune is never a solution to a mechanical problem. If your turbo is not building boost (P1556) you can get a P0402 code, I believe.

Find out the problem (you already know what to look for) and then you can get a tune that deletes the EGR duty cycle to prevent intake clogging from happening again.

NArias24

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Your car is throwing codes because it needs something fixed. A tune is never a solution to a mechanical problem. If your turbo is not building boost (P1556) you can get a P0402 code, I believe.

Find out the problem (you already know what to look for) and then you can get a tune that deletes the EGR duty cycle to prevent intake clogging from happening again.
I know a tune is never a fix but I thought the problem might have been with the EGR in which case the tune would cause the fix unnecessary

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The EGR code could be a "false positive" as a result of the low boost code. Fix the boost problem and the EGR code may go away.

NArias24

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
The EGR code could be a "false positive" as a result of the low boost code. Fix the boost problem and the EGR code may go away.
That's a good point! thanks for the help going to run through the common causes for boost problem and see if I can't get it figured out. Not sure if there is much worse than driving a 90hp car when it has boost, when it has low boost :(

NArias24

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Easy easy easy easy fix! So glad it wasnt something major!
Cut hose and reconnected and car runs like normal!

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
You probably need to spend 20$ on a whole new vacuum hose set, you'd be surprised how your car will react..

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
I recently did this, and left the vacuum hose going to the turbo actuator original because I didn't have time. Well I replaced that hose a few days later, and the car sounds different.. I now know how much boost I should have been getting..

Last edited: