www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old January 17th, 2017, 21:48   #16
millere5815
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: average 53, Best 59.34

Very nice. My Jetta has been with me in 45 of 50 states, and will hit 48 of 50 this year. Currently at 307k miles.

How did you get yours to Hawaii, and how much did it cost?
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 300k+ miles, Bosio DLC 1019 Injector Nozzles, 5 speed swap, .658 5th gear, SB stage 2 daily, single mass flywheel, PD150 intake, EGR delete, 1.8T pancake pipe, 11mm IP, VNT17 Turbo, TacoTaco SMIC, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 4 tune w/ Dynamic Idle, De-cat w/ high flow muffler 156HP, 298FT/LB

millere5815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 22:45   #17
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Nice read !

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:30   #18
JohnnyCanuck.Comox

Awesome, what fun.
JohnnyCanuck.Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 07:23   #19
ZB657

Fuel Economy: Highest MPG: 43.6 City/53.1 Highway

This is simply amazing. I'm trying to get there with my TDI. Right now, it's at 80k and I plan on making a lot of road trips with my car because it's simply amazing....especially when you have good MPGs. I love it. Nice pics and absolutely great trips!!
Old May 12th, 2018, 05:49   #20
RobinPhillips

Location: Switzerland (formerly Lethbridge, AB, Canada and before that Volcano, Hawaii, USA)
TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: As excellent as it always has been
Default Trip to Georgia

I thought it was about time I posted an update to this thread. The trip to Georgia (the country, not the state) that I mentioned as being planned in an earlier post, took place last year. We covered 8235km in the 16 days that we were gone (including a mammoth 1969km in order to get back from Turkey to Switzerland in one day (easier to do now that my son is old enough to help drive!). Here are a couple of highlight pictures, the rest are available via an update to the link that I gave in the original post in this thread (ie http://www.robinphillips.net/Robin/Jetta/ ).

Turkey:

Crossing the Bosporus into Asia:

Made it to Georgia:

The roads in Georgia are in pretty bad condition, but they certainly go to interesting places:

My new favorite "Jetta with road sign" picture:

It was a pretty amazing trip, we did lots of good skiing (especially in Georgia where Russian money has enabled a modern ski resort to be built up in Gudauri).

The also drove the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_Military_Road which was quite an experience
Old May 12th, 2018, 06:01   #21
RobinPhillips

Location: Switzerland (formerly Lethbridge, AB, Canada and before that Volcano, Hawaii, USA)

For year's I've been entering the trips we do into google maps, but had never spent the time to figure out how to merge them all together. Well, I finally sat down and did it, the result is this map of all the places my Jetta has been:

The link to the google version (which you can zoom into) is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bo...YQ&usp=sharing
Old May 12th, 2018, 09:00   #22
romad
Veteran Member

Wow!

In 1981 when stationed in Germany, we bought our first Jetta, picking it up in Luxembourg on the US Memorial Day weekend (Luxembourg has it as a holiday also). One month later we took a 30 day trip around Scandinavia and did a detour to Nord Kapp. At that time you had to take a ferry to the island and the road to the ferry went through a rough unfinished tunnel with water dripping down from the top. About every 25 meters was a dim light bulb hanging from the top, and the roadbed was made of potholes. While waiting to board our ferry, we saw a Winnebago RV come off the ferry and as it drove by, we saw it had CALIFORNIA license plates!

BTW, have you been getting the news about Kilauea? They say the biggest threat now is to the Lower Puna area.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 22:14   #23
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Good stuff man!

You should try to travel through the fjordlands of western Norway if you have a chance, some of the best car sightseeing on the planet around there :-)

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 23:33   #24
RobinPhillips

Romad: In order to not go completely off topic whilst answering your question, here's a picture of the Jetta when it was just a couple of days old (hasn't even got the permanent registration plates yet) located in Puna:

We were living in Puna (Paradise Park) at the time and as I measure it on google maps, the house is only 11.5km (=7 miles) from Leilani estates where the fissures are currently opening up. Even better, the Corrado I actually bought from a guy living in Leilani Estates - it was parked just a few hundred meters away from where the closest fissures would be today.

But despite the press coverage of all the lava coming out, I think the bigger risk at the moment might be the summit area. I only spent ~1 year in Puna before moving to the Volcano Golf Course area, which is where this picture is taken (wow, doesn't the paint work still look new :-) ):

Measuring this on google maps shows our house was just ~4km from Halemaumau crater:

There is a good chance that we are going to see some very large explosions from the crater in the next few weeks - due to the lava dropping below the water table inside the mountain - see this USGS page for a good explanation.

There is also a good summary of the current uncertainties here

The events of the last few weeks have certainly made me think about my ability to assess risk. I've been following closely as I still have friends living close to the affected areas - one person is down slope of the current eruption areas so will definitely be affected if the volume of lava increases. We all tend to watch the footage of people's homes being destroyed and think to ourselves, "well, they knew the risk, they chose to live on top of an active volcano". But you really don't see the danger when you are there. I moved to the Big Island for work and moved to the Puna district because colleagues recommended it and because it was cheap. That;s about as far as I thought and I think most other people who move there don't think any more than that either. We then moved to Volcano a year later to get away from the mosquitoes and because the climate is nicer. I knew the house we were renting was built on material blasted out of the summit caldera in the 1790 explosions, but that just seems like a long long time ago and very unlikely to re-occur. Well, it's still unlikely (currently we're only talking about mid sized steam driven explosions that would at worst throw pebble sized stones or ash on our old house) but the chance of something really disruptive has definitely gone up in likelihood... and then I'd be the one having to evacuate and possibly loose my house (I think it is quite possible that we'll see these "mandatory evacuations" being extended to the areas around the summit caldera if steam driven explosions get going in the next few weeks - search for "Kilauea May 1924" to see some pictures).

One thing I've noticed going back through my old pictures is how few photos of the Jetta on Hawaii I have. It just didn't seem very special at the time... We actually had it on most areas of the island though. I have a lot more of the Corrado which was my daily driver for 5 years. In retrospect I really wish I hadn't sold it when I moved to Europe!
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:23   #25
Enabled
Veteran Member

Take it to Antarctica and then I'll be impressed..

ha, jk. this is awesome. Maybe I'll be impressed with you outdoing yourself!

Been wanting to drive up to the Arctic Ocean for a while.
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
-BMW 328d wagon (Self tuned ~230hp)
Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote