www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 27th, 2018, 10:33   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That was not my understanding of what is covered. They spelled out pretty much what was covered and I don't remember reading about a check engine light. From the booklet:

Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty
The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or
systems:
 The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel
Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors
and actuators
 The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail,
fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all
sensors and actuators
 The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR
temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors
and actuators
 The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality
sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other
than those related to the transmission.
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder
head, camshaft, and valve train
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable
taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any
existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved
in favor of the consumer.
More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is
available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we
sent to you in January 2017.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 21:19   #17
IDoSeaDoo
Veteran Member

Wow, I was considering not going in for the fix, but given this warranty, I think I'd be a fool not to. It covers just about everything that typically fails on these cars. How long is the warranty for?
IDoSeaDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 21:55   #18
Diesl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
[...]
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality
sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other
than those related to the transmission.[...]
OK, it says malfunctions, not check engine light. Of course there could be malfunctions detected by the OBD systems that do not throw a check engine light. Those would also be covered, according to this language.
Old February 27th, 2018, 22:42   #19
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRY4SNO View Post
So, question for the group... I suspect a mouse chewed through the wiring going to the rear 02 sensor (by physically inspecting the harness, and the MIL code) about a year ago. Haven't gotten around to dealing with it and wonder if the emissions fix will cover this?
The short answer is no. Either you fix it before you bring it in or they'll fix it for you, at $140 an hour. If it's throwing engine codes, VW is not going to do mod, unless they fix it. Now will they fix it out of the goodness of their heart no charge? I doubt it, but hey you never know; bring it in. If they do mod great.

If they call you and say hey we've got a problem, we need to fix it before we can do the emission modification; do you authorize us doing the work, you have two choices. Frankly if it's just a wiring problem either go pick it up and fix it or bite the bullet, pay VW dealer an hour or three of labor. You can always call the VW customer advocate at the corporate headquarters, ask if they'll reimburse you.

As I said in my post above I had a code which is still popping. VW did not want to do the mod at first.. I took car back and messed around with it as best I could. I cleared the codes when I dropped it off. I was successful in getting the mod done. But the code keeps popping up the p0638.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; February 27th, 2018 at 22:54.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 07:53   #20
KERMA

It strikes me as odd someone might balk at paying for a $300 repair in order forego a $6000+ windfall.

Maybe just me, but it just seems like a good investment to pay for a repair.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 08:40   #21
bsmith67inla

So every car that gets fixed gets that warranty? I just bought a 2015 Jetta s that has the 1st update only from a local Nissan dealership. They didn’t say anything about a warranty so I bought the extended from them. Did I waste my money on a extended warranty from Nissan?

Thanks Brian.
bsmith67inla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 10:25   #22
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If you bought an extended warranty you wasted your money. Every car fixed gets it.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Old February 28th, 2018, 10:28   #23
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 14' Golf
Fuel Economy: 45+

Quote:
If you bought an extended warranty you wasted your money. Every car fixed gets it.
True. We bought our diesel back after selling back to them(funny story) and it came with a 2 year unlimited miles warranty.
Old February 28th, 2018, 11:16   #24
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
If you bought an extended warranty you wasted your money.
I think this is a universal truth. But that aside, an extended warranty would cover components the emissions warranty doesn't, like stereo, sunroof, etc.
Old February 28th, 2018, 14:43   #25
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I bought a new left over 2015 Beetle. I am insured with GEICO and they offer MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) that covers everything except regular service parts (brake pads/rotors, wipers, etc). At $6 month it seemed reasonable and can be canceled at any time if I am unhappy with its coverage. This is the only kind of insurance I would do if I wanted it. Good out to 100k miles. So between the emissions warranty and the MBI insurance I think I am pretty well covered for a nominal fee. Few people that buy warranty coverage on their car ever get anything near back what they paid. If they did the company wouldn't be in business.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Old February 28th, 2018, 20:50   #26
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith67inla View Post
So every car that gets fixed gets that warranty? I just bought a 2015 Jetta s that has the 1st update only from a local Nissan dealership. They didn’t say anything about a warranty so I bought the extended from them. Did I waste my money on a extended warranty from Nissan? Thanks Brian.
Yes you wasted your money because most extended warranties are terrible. Who is underwriting it? Nissan? The Dealer? If you did not pay much AND the dealer is a stand up company (and the contract you signed is not full of exceptions, exclusions, limits, high deductibles) it may be OK. Insurance is paying for something you hope to never use.

VW has pretty long regular warranty, much less the extended warranties some going out 120K miles and 10 years for specific things (fuel pump, emissions). Regardless if something breaks that is covered by VW, the secondary coverage will defer to VW and not fix it. It is likely in the warranty contract you signed. YOU DID GET IT IN WRITING? They know this when they sell you these late model used cars the manufacture warranty will cover most of what they are selling you, since they run parallel.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; February 28th, 2018 at 20:55.
Old February 28th, 2018, 21:01   #27
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
It strikes me as odd someone might balk at paying for a $300 repair in order forego a $6000+ windfall. Maybe just me, but it just seems like a good investment to pay for a repair.
You are right. I spent about $250 getting my issue fixed, but the dealer may have spent 5 to 6 times that. Knowing the dealer (incompetence) they could spend 5 hours hunting down a wiring gremlin, to say I need a new wiring harness (for another $1000 parts plus labor). So yea, $1700 dealer repair bill is to be avoided. Sure the "restitution" would pay for it, but I'd rather get a full $5100 verses $3400. I can work on my own car. This summer I am going to pull the harness and look for a good used one or repair this one (if that is the problem).

Old May 9th, 2018, 09:50   #28
pooneil

I went with a APR stage 1 tune on my 2012 Golf TDI 6speed back in March at New German Performance in MD and have been rather happy with it.

Mileage has been in the 40-50mpg range on the highway if I drive "normally"

The car is otherwise stock and has had the emissions fix.
pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:48   #29
mercdude

Yep. Got a Kerma tune about 8k miles ago on my gen 1 cr tdi Aka no ad blue. Very well balanced and it still follows regen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mercdude is offline   Reply With Quote